• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum spopper

Once again a veritable shed load of sound advise regarding the use, design and effectiveness of the spopper. Thank you. As it happens my 70 something birthday is looming ever nearer and my lovely wife always asks me for a list of "wants". I shall put a mini spopper on the list and give it a go. Just hope she remembers the red wine as well!!!

I’ll continue with my Issacs innovations spopper with the filling hole in the top so you can fill with hemp with a small funnel

Last edited:
The spring on the korum one is very good. Very positive and set nicely into the case.
It has significantly More power than the spombs although I’ve never found the spomb spring to cause any issues
If the Korum was available in a true 2oz with a slightly more flexible plastic I don’t think there would be any reason for me to actually build myself another because it costs me £11 just to buy a spomb

I've never used one of these yokes, in favour of using a dropper for baiting when I have undertaken that style of fishing, but if I wanted to use the bigger version to try and get a big bed down as quickly as possible, what rod would everyone recommend for using one on a medium sized river?

i use my 2.25 lb barbel rod which handles my spomb ok

I've never used one of these yokes, in favour of using a dropper for baiting when I have undertaken that style of fishing, but if I wanted to use the bigger version to try and get a big bed down as quickly as possible, what rod would everyone recommend for using one on a medium sized river?
Referring to the spomb type as I don’t know what the large Korum one holds or weighs but The bigger size can be around 6oz unloaded and hold a good half pint of bait.
Potentially 12oz if you fill em right up so I’d go steady if your thinking of lobbing one out on the barbel rods.

The korum bopper rod is 5.5lb tc and is £60
NGT do the 10ft xpr catfish pro rod which is 5lb tc for under £30 will do exactly the same job

I have a MILBRO glass carp rod that I bought just to fish in the 80s a private lake that the owner that I was flogging a range cooker to, mentioned he cooked the occasional Swan!. and needed a big oven. After the usual retort about Swans and the Queen he reassured me it was legal.

But what really got my attention was he had Swans...and he also had a lake, but did he have fish? Yes he replied Carp and they were big. Now he was a Gentleman, old school, but I summoned the question like any angler worth his salt would..Do you think..cough?

He said he would think about it, I sold him his oversized oven, and forgot about the whole thing.

He did get back a few months later, saying what a nice chap I was? And I could fish his pond with the understanding I used no weights
no float nothing but bread and a hook. The birds you see.

A day was agreed, and I arrived in Fairford to this big manor, met by him and his three lovely daughters who showed me the pond. Well it was stuffed full of you name it they had it Koi, Mirrors, Common, and Grassies, the Carp excitedly came rushing towards us expecting food, big lips gulping at the surface.

I set my tackle down on the well manicured lawn thinking this was not what I expected, I mean I could have lifted them out, I wanted to make my exuses and leave, but tea and cucumber sandwitches were produced so I felt obliged to catch one or two of the pet carp.

The MILBRO coped well with the bigger of the Carp, and was safely returned with profus apologies.. we talked and I finished the tea, and thanked them for a wonderful time.

So pleased I have found another use for the glass stick.😀

Just got the standard one, very impressed, and I reckon the one 30gm weight should do OK and not stress the 1.75s too much.
Did you not find the pin was rather tight on yours Neil? Mine needed a slight hole bore out to make it move freely as it took a bit of a push to disengage

Did you not find the pin was rather tight on yours Neil? Mine needed a slight hole bore out to make it move freely as it took a bit of a push to disengage
I checked mine Richard, the small one was quite tight in its hole and would have needed to hit a hard surface to open it, I used a 3mm drill and just slightly rubbed the hole and all was good, now opens on a soft surface. The one on the XL version did not need expanding as it was much freer on its hole.

The standard was fine Rich, mind you I thought it was jammed shut until I noticed the clear band holding it tight. Already dreaming of sloppy hemp and micro pellets.😊
Hi All
Ordered mine today (standard) looking forward to putting out some hemp, pellets and boilies on the Kennet and Loddon!
Still like my fox baitdropper for putting out a few boilies though, so see how the Korum compares!
Regards Wayne

Mine works fine at the reduced weight. Went and threw them both in the river this evening. As far as operation is concerned no problems with it even with the lighter nose cone at just 16g

Back