• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum spopper

Get them on ebay sent for some myself yesterday

According to my ebay it has been posted so must have some stock

One of my local tackle shops had them in, they seem to be well designed and well made. They seem to have a better build quality than the original spomb.

👍🏼 from me, although I don’t think I’ll use them until trips to the Trent over autumn/winter.

Can I ask......do these things actually WORK? By that I mean, are more fish caught when using a spopper? I have never used one (or a spomb) and rarely used a baitdropper. I enjoy the thrill of touch ledgering with a bit of meat and feeling the barbel "mouth" the bait before taking it. Brilliant. But should I be heaving out big containers full of food instead? 🤔

Paul they work as well as the angler that uses them. I don’t agree with Darren’s post entirely because they are not just big baiting tools for big rivers.
The mini sized spopper perfectly replaces the 2oz bait dropper which I use all the time even on the most intricate of stretches of water.
5 or 6 crushed boiles, 1 single plop and all my baiting is done for a 4-5 hour evening session.

They absolutely work because they work exactly like a bait dropper…… a tool that has a rock solid reputation for getting results among barbel anglers and has proved itself many times over decades.

The difference between a spopper and a dropper is simply cast ability. They cast much further hit the water much cleaner and create less disturbance but they are not just a bait piling tool

Should YOU be using one??? Well no, not if you don’t need one or want one. I do think they are very much misunderstood devices as per your post above in the respect that they are not containers for putting out big loads of food, they are direct replacements/major improvements for bait Droppers and can be sized/filled to put as much bait out as you like.

Hope that helps.

Paul they work as well as the angler that uses them. I don’t agree with Darren’s post entirely because they are not just big baiting tools for big rivers.
The mini sized spopper perfectly replaces the 2oz bait dropper which I use all the time even on the most intricate of stretches of water.
5 or 6 crushed boiles, 1 single plop and all my baiting is done for a 4-5 hour evening session.

They absolutely work because they work exactly like a bait dropper…… a tool that has a rock solid reputation for getting results among barbel anglers and has proved itself many times over decades.

The difference between a spopper and a dropper is simply cast ability. They cast much further hit the water much cleaner and create less disturbance but they are not just a bait piling tool

Should YOU be using one??? Well no, not if you don’t need one or want one. I do think they are very much misunderstood devices as per your post above in the respect that they are not containers for putting out big loads of food, they are direct replacements/major improvements for bait Droppers and can be sized/filled to put as much bait out as you like.

Hope that helps.
I've found the mini-spoppers (made by Rich) to be invaluable for dropping maggots and hemp. Less water disturbance than a standard baitdropper (for me that is the Thamesley type) but with a slightly bigger payload. And more accurate, even for gentle underarm lobs.

As Rich says, they only work as well as the anglers that use them. I do share the concerns of others that hard-of-thinking noddies will use them to pile in the pellets to excess... but what can you do? They can get spoppers on ebay anyway.

Naturally I had to buy one and see what they are like and once I’ve had chance to pull around on it properly I’ll give my honest opinion on it. Obviously compared to a home made job
46BBE183-8CDD-46F6-9482-3119847605F1.jpeg

This is my opinion of them…..

The best bit about them for me is actually the fact that they completely come apart. There is nothing really there I couldn’t easily fix replace or modify because of the way they have made them able to be disassembled.
Love the 2/3 filling area better than the 1/2 on the spomb and of course I love the fact you can add weight to these.
Love the visual aspect of it too. It looks the real deal with the colour, shape and inlet hole design and a chunky stainless pin is very good with a metric m3 thread so I can put whatever I like on the end of that

Now my dislikes are the fact that mine couldn’t of actually worked out the packaging. 3mm U bent pin and 3mm hole is just way too tight and there’s no way without a decent push that could of worked. Luckily 3 seconds with a 3.5mm drill resolved that but also the two edges nip on mine when closed and it still doesn’t open easily so they will see the rough edge of a file later to sort that out. No biggy for me but …….
I’m not a fan of the plastic type either. It’s very hard and not flexible at all. I’m sure it’s durable enough to do the job but an accidental over cast into something hard will probably see it in pieces. The spombs plastic is not as hard and very flexible in comparison.

Now finally my absolute hates. Well 1 actually regarding this small model. It’s way too heavy and simply won’t replace my 2 oz spopper for that 1 reason alone. I’ve removed all the weights so there is no weight in the nose and it’s still 58g in weight. Now I add the minimum weight to it so that it’s actually going to work by being nose heavy which takes it to 88g so the smallest one in it’s lightest usable form is 3oz
That’s a hate for me personally because I want a 2 oz dropper. Others it may be perfectly fine.
Im gonna drill afew holes and make up some new weights to lighten the back and only slightly increase the front and just see how close I can get the thing to my desired weight.

Make of all that what you will 👍🏻

Ok so this is where we are after some messing around and crude trials in a deep bucket.
I’ve got it down to 68g usable. So it’s nose heavy and sinks straight full of bait at that weight. How well it will fly I don’t know. That’s for another day.

First thing I did was drill 4 x 5mm holes in the black nose cone. This is simply to get that part of the spopper filled with water as quickly as possible and contribute to the nose dive. I then reduced the 30g nose weight to 16g after testing in a bucket where the limit really was on front weight needed.
After that it was about shaving as much weight off the body by drilling more holes between 3.5 and 4.5mm resulting in a total weight drop of 20g.
Still not quite 2 oz but 2.4oz I can live with it.
656DC9B6-8682-4A1B-9F7A-E8D4E5EF10F4.jpeg

got mine in the post today look good :)

Well despite my reservations about no stock I have ordered the standard version. I think it will be ideal for the smaller deeper sections, where putting down a bed of hemp etc initially, and not having to recast a feeder often that can spook.
Putting down a good amount of feed can be essential to keep a small number of big barbel occupied at dusk seemingly on their way to the upstream shallows below a weir where they scoff naturals.
I currently use the small bronze coloured dropper, and a big korum model ...these should be more efficient, hopefully not too heavy for a Torrix 1.75 etc.

Back