• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Breakaway Feeder or Lead Link

Clive Kenyon

Following on from the feeder swivel thread that seems to have got sidetracked I will explain what I mean by a breakaway link to allow feeders or leads that have become snagged to be ejected from the rig leaving the mainline and hook, and hopefully a fish, intact. They say a picture paints a thousand words......
20220507_155041_resize_35.jpg

The breakaway link is shown alongside a conventional link swivel and various other similar means to attach feeders and leads. Basically it is a chod clip sheaved in a silicone sleeve. It fits between a swivel running on the mainline and a quick change clip. The chod clip will open when around 5 or 6lb force is exerted on it. Working on Crossle's calculation that means it should be suitable for feeders up to 5 oz. Stronger clips are available.

To attach the breakaway clip the open end of it is passed through the lower eye of a normal swivel that is attached free running to the mainline by the other eye. Then the sleeve is adjusted to close the gap and your lead or feeder can be attached to the quick change clip.

If the lead or feeder snag then 5 to 6lbs of force will cause the chod clip to open and release the swivel entailing that the line comes free from the snag with the hook intact. The spare sheaved clips shown can be quickly fitted to the swivel, a new feeder or lead added and you are ready to cast.

So, do you prefer to risk losing the end rig and possibly a fish by gambling on the extra few pounds breaking strain of the mainline being enough to recover the snagged tackle or do you prefer the option of knowing that should the feeder or lead snag you are almost certain of recovering all but the feeder or lead and the clips? Only you can decide that.

I get these from the BFW shop. Tend not to loose too many feeders but these will break at about 4lb pressure. I’ve been using them for a number of years and quite happy with their performance.

Thanks Bill. 👍

I used something similar a few years ago. The problem was that if you pulled a feeder free the clip could become stretched and require changing. That meant cutting the mainline to replace the damaged clip as it ran on the line. With the chod clips any damaged ones can be quickly changed without having to break down the rig.

A bent paper clip does exactly the same job I think , nowhere near as neat but equally as effective.

David

Yes, you are right David. I use small green coloured paper clips for my small river fishing. Another trick I developed for the Wharfe was to mount drilled bullets and coffin leads on thin split pins. First I put a float rubber on and pushed it up to form an eye that the mainline ran through. Then a lead was pushed on and the legs slightly splayed. When, not if, the lead snagged on stones I could pull the pin through it. I still use this method along with the paper clips.

How about a system like on a boat anchor? ie. when snagged, a weak link when broken then acts on the bottom of the feeder/anchor. Works well, anchors can be expensive after all.

So you could either use mr T,s deconstructed bracelet…or this…

Attachments

• 3DD71F6F-9200-4F60-A9FD-290D7A3503F4.jpeg
    3DD71F6F-9200-4F60-A9FD-290D7A3503F4.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 128
👍👍…..Just making the point derek people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones……
No. You are trolling. That is why you won't answer the question as to why you need a swivel on the feeder if you already have one in the attachment link. All the rest, the pva bag irrelevance and use of safety links, etc is a smokescreen to hide your reluctance to answer the one simple question.

For example: Can you quote where I have supposedly said that there is no use for tubing? I doubt it because I actually said that there was no need for tubing and a swivel ON A FEEDER. Nowhere else. That is just you trolling.

Back