• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boot Space for fishing tackle

How about a Volvo XC70, dull as ditch water, but offer raised ride height, estate capacity and 4WD. Also, they're normally driven by antique dealers or rural types, so the engines rarely stretched and go on for ever. Audi Allroad is similar more badge option.
Hi Jon

What’s the cabin noise like in the XC70? I’m looking at a new fishing car but my partner wants something that’s quiet for some longer motorway trips we do quite regularly

I had a Yeti, a Passat estate and now have a Qashqai. 100 percent the Qashqai is the best, not as long as the Passat but higher which is far better imo.
Hi Jon

Same question to you about cabin noise, we’re looking at a Passat as a compromise between comfort and fishing space (she actually wants a 5 series estate!) how do the Passat and qashqai compare?

Hi Jon

What’s the cabin noise like in the XC70? I’m looking at a new fishing car but my partner wants something that’s quiet for some longer motorway trips we do quite regularly

most are diesel, so there's going to be some clatter. But, they're well made, so all you can do is try. Skoda to a Octavia with light offroad capabilities dont they? I think it's called a 'Scout' ?

most are diesel, so there's going to be some clatter. But, they're well made, so all you can do is try. Skoda to a Octavia with light offroad capabilities dont they? I think it's called a 'Scout' ?
Thanks. I was looking at the 4x4 Superb which gets great reviews. My Mrs wont buy the same car as her sister though, too much sibling rivalry going on!

Hi Jon

Same question to you about cabin noise, we’re looking at a Passat as a compromise between comfort and fishing space (she actually wants a 5 series estate!) how do the Passat and qashqai compare?

I can answer that as I have had both, I would not buy a nother “VWPushit” if it was a case of that or public transport !
The Passat was a rolling pot of trouble and an eater of cash from the word go, water leaks, gearbox problems, electrical problems, had to have the alarm immobilized as it would go off at any time without reason, the VW techs could not fix it after 4 attempts , so we took it to an auto electrician who immobilised the alarm for us, it was noisy, expensive to run, the very last straw was when we had a full service, and MOT, took it out for a drive after the pass, and the Auto box promptly died on us…went backwards very well but refused to go forwards without bucking like a bronco, we refused to put more money into it and sold it on for what we could get and bought the Kumqat, I thought the Kumqat was uncomfortable , but a 100% improvement upon the damned VW in all respects apart from length.

As far as comfort is concerned, they were about 50/50 in leg room , but the draughts from under the dash of the VW were very bad, and it was noisy. The increased height of the Kumqat was a big bonus, it was long enough , just ,for my 2 piece 14 foot beach rods, so there was plenty of room for my freshwater gear . I did miss the extra length of the VW but not enough to want another one.

A couple of things went wrong with the Kumqat , one thing that was an annoyance was a mysterious rattle from the rear end, we could not find what was making it, the dealers could not find it, eventually I discovered that the alloy “shield” between the exhaust and the bodywork had corroded and come loose, it was impossible to get to without a lot of messing about so it was removed, mainly by brute force , another thing was the wipers packed up, a local garage repaired them for me , about half the price of the dealership estimate.

I know the V Dubs have a lot of followers, and they are 100% behind the marque, I have a couple of friends who swear by them, maybe I had a Friday afternoon car . The Kumqat , for its price I think is the better of the two vehicles in all respects apart from length.

The funny thing is my son owns a Skoda , the one that is a VW Passat rebadged, and he loves it, never had any problems with it at all.

David

Last edited:
I can answer that as I have had both, I would not buy a nother “VWPushit” if it was a case of that or public transport !
The Passat was a rolling pot of trouble and an eater of cash from the word go, water leaks, gearbox problems, electrical problems, had to have the alarm immobilized as it would go off at any time without reason, the VW techs could not fix it after 4 attempts , so we took it to an auto electrician who immobilised the alarm for us, it was noisy, expensive to run, the very last straw was when we had a full service, and MOT, took it out for a drive after the pass, and the Auto box promptly died on us…went backwards very well but refused to go forwards without bucking like a bronco, we refused to put more money into it and sold it on for what we could get and bought the Kumqat, I thought the Kumqat was uncomfortable , but a 100% improvement upon the damned VW in all respects apart from length.

As far as comfort is concerned, they were about 50/50 in leg room , but the draughts from under the dash of the VW were very bad, and it was noisy. The increased height of the Kumqat was a big bonus, it was long enough , just ,for my 2 piece 14 foot beach rods, so there was plenty of room for my freshwater gear . I did miss the extra length of the VW but not enough to want another one.

A couple of things went wrong with the Kumqat , one thing that was an annoyance was a mysterious rattle from the rear end, we could not find what was making it, the dealers could not find it, eventually I discovered that the alloy “shield” between the exhaust and the bodywork had corroded and come loose, it was impossible to get to without a lot of messing about so it was removed, mainly by brute force , another thing was the wipers packed up, a local garage repaired them for me , about half the price of the dealership estimate.

I know the V Dubs have a lot of followers, and they are 100% behind the marque, I have a couple of friends who swear by them, maybe I had a Friday afternoon car . The Kumqat , for its price I think is the better of the two vehicles in all respects apart from length.

The funny thing is my son owns a Skoda , the one that is a VW Passat rebadged, and he loves it, never had any problems with it at all.

David
Thanks very much, pretty conclusive then 😆

I have never had a dedicated’ fishing wagon’, just drove whatever I was using daily at the time. Once when my Honda Accord Estate was being repaired I used my wife’s Ford Ka to transport me to the Teme. Now , that was a bit of a tight fit! My Toyota Avensis Estate was probably the most practical ‘ fishing wagon ‘, very reliable, relatively cheap to run and superbly comfortable.
G.T.

I have an Octavia Scout and think it is excellent.

4 wheel drive and slightly enhanced ground clearance. 2 litre diesel and does 55 mpg on the motorway.

Loads of interior space for fishing gear, work stuff or 2 big dogs.

Mine cost 21 k as an ex demo 7 years ago. I keep thinking it’s time to replace it; but it works.

If you need even more space buy a Superb. My fishing mate has one as do 2 of my neighbours. All 3 rave about them.

One car I wouldn't recommmend is a Honda CR-V. Whilst it is a lot quieter, smoother and more relaxing than our Skoda Octavia and the Berlingo it replaced, I haven't had a decent fish in all the four months that I have owned it! I call it the blankwagon.

A similar size car to the Nissan Juke is the KIA Stonic. I have owned one for a year having previously owned a small estate. Couple of things I am not so keen on, higher loading height, slightly shorter load length and rear seats that don't fold as low as my old estate.
On the plus side, I like the higher driving position which helps getting in and out, it is well equipped, has good ground clearance (often asked if it is 4x4). It has adequate performance and economy from a 1.0 turbo engine. It came as standard with a 7 Yr manufacturers warranty which offers peace of mind with retirement coming next year. Their dealers seem keen and efficient. Booking a service online saves 20% on the bill.

Audi allroad - fancy air suspension £££££ - Volvo XC70 - petrol has a drink problem, diesel great engine, but thay all have the Haldex for 4wd which is a ticking timebomb. I went through a similar list - ended up with a Subaru Forester, an Outback would be as good. Avoid diesel in either & go anywhere!

Happy with my 2021 s line Q5.
Very smooth drive, better than the A4.
Hill descent and off road settings good.
Plenty of space. Suprisingly getting about 45mpg

However, the A4 with permanent Quattro seemed better up to its hubcaps in mud...And on wet grass.

Have done approaching a million miles in Citroens over the years. I really appreciate the hydraulic suspension and they've been totally reliable too.
Latest is a 2011 C5 2.0HDI exclusive estate. As much room as anyone could need, very economical on a long run (50mpg+) all the toys. Going to rig it up for sleeping in soon. Can't think of anything more suitable as a fishing wagon.

Back