• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2022

Went after the tench on Wednesday with my son we blanked on the tench, but between us had 3 carp to 12+.
It was my first tench session this year so there’s still time, Nathan’s been a few times with success.
Congratulations bill,what a session 😬🎣 bankside delivery aswell you’ve cracked it😂

👏👍That was a fantastic result Bill, very envious. The three of us went to Surrey on Wed in search of Crucians, with me hoping to avoid a hat trick of blanks! Still no Crucian but a solitary male tench of around 3lbs. Got a right soaking before the”Mist of Doom” descended around 9pm. Packing soaking wet gear away after a poor result really puts a cherry on it! Keep the reports coming Bill, gives us all hope.

Just take a pinch of salt with the weights! Lost count of times I've been told by a carper they had a 10lb tench...very few of them bother to weigh them!
Totally agree Joe. A 7lb fish is BIG an 8lb fish enormous in my book. By talking to the carpers it gives me a guide to where the Tench might be, like you I take a large pinch of salt to claimed weights.

Well done Bill.
I'm into a Tench avoidance Spring. So much so last two sessions after perch.

Have managed about 100 carp and 30 bream though!!!!! Every lake this way is carp 2000 to every tench.
Thank you Graham. Some of the carp guys on my local water think I’m an oddity wanting to fish for Tench but I’m happy to bear that cross but I’m not alone. There are a small body of lads now prepared to fish for Tinca. We’ll never take over but then again being selfish I don’t want everyone fishing for the Tench but I’m grateful for the info given by the carpy lads.
Good Luck with your quests andI look forward to hearing about your Wye escapades later in the season.

Cheers Tony. Had sweet and sour chicken with egg fried rice collected by the current Mrs W, on the bank in the evening sun. She also came down earlier in the day with an extra three pints of maggots ‘cos I was running low. Keep telling her she’s still on probation although we’ve been married forty-eight years. Might have to sign off her probation period soon 🤣🤣
Bill, forty-eight years? it is no use rushing these things, take your time in the decision making progress, you will not regret it but please don't make a rash decision 🤣

Another session on hawk pond with my Dad earlier in the week, first cast and a lovely tinca was soon im the net!

I was sure it was going to be a great day... alas that was the only action i had other than 2 pike partially destroying my new baiting up feeder 😪😂

20220502_161119.jpg

Whats the file limit for images on here?
Cant post the tench pic.

Don't worry Josh, I've done three visits to Motorway Pond for just one bite. It was a good male tench of 4.12, but still little action.
To be fair I am happy with what Ive caught so far.

Funny you say that Mike we're making our fist visit there on Monday. What tactics did you employ? I'm tempted to take the waggler rod.

Hi Josh, I used a helicopter rig with a maggot feeder and fake maggots on the hook. My mate has done much better than me. Using the same set-up he has had eight tench in five visits to just shy of 7lb.
I've always had difficulty float fishing on Motorway. As you know it is quite deep and clear, there are a lot of cabbages under the surface, so any drift and you get snagged up.
Best of luck.

I’m off ! First session after tinca today and landed six in total. 6lb 14oz the biggest backed up by another at 6-11. Unfortunately also lost three, two thru’ hook pulls but one thru’ hooklink failure. Won’t be using fluoro again for tenching, lost three or four last year for same reason and thought it was down to a “new” loop knot I started using but this one parted midway ‘tween the hook and the loop. Anyone else experienced problems with short fluoro links ?
Through experience, I've found that you need to re-tie any link knots after a good tug, I've used X line in all breaking strains for many years, just re-tie your swivel knot ( palomar) after any hard pull.

Through experience, I've found that you need to re-tie any link knots after a good tug, I've used X line in all breaking strains for many years, just re-tie your swivel knot ( palomar) after any hard pull.
Thanks for that John. Since my initial problem I now use a hooklink of 10lb BS Amnesia without further problems 🤞 but will bear your recommendation in mind 👍

Once again fishing with my son today on a club lake between us we managed 4 carp to 13.9
And I got my first tench of the season a 5lb fish at last Iam off the Mark 😬
We’re going again in the wk hopefully we’re be in again 🤞
Excellent! Great day with the lad Robert👍

Early start today, fishing just before 5am but no activity other than one liner ‘till just after 9 am then a snorter of a take which I was convinced was a carp, went like the clappers. Had just weighed it and had it in the Fast Mat and the other rod shot off! Quick strike, tightened the ‘runner and put the rod in the rest while I put the other back in the net in the water. Final result from the double take was 6-12 & 4-02 (male) .Another good take just after 11am for a 7-11 and that was the action for the day.

Back