• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Milk Protein Base Mixes

Damian Kimmins

I was just wondering, can anyone recommend a high quality milk protein base mix please?
Something either that perhaps you've used in the past or use now or even do not use but have been recommended by a friend.
Cheers.

I’ll echo the above and say the John baker super milk is as high quality as it gets.
Cut your boil times right down and you don’t need an egg albumen hardener for hook baits as it’s already in the high protein recipe and they go very firm as they are.
Go really easy on the loose feed too. To get best results out of it you need to treat it for what it is and that’s a food bait so results get better with it over time and on a little but often introduction into a few choice dedicated swims.
I personally wouldn’t pay for it if this wasn’t possible to work with it long term and I’d chose something more “instant attraction” like the Bombay spice or bio shellfish

I’d second Richard’s comment about the application of protein baits.

Dont overdo it !

There is loads of good info on mixes on various carp forums - there are some serious bait buffs out there.

Making your own mixes sounds good in theory (it takes out the profit margin included by bait suppliers) BUT sourcing small quantities of top quality ingredients can be tricky these days.

Hi Nu Val or make your own. I mix acid casein 25%, lactalbumin 25%, calcium casseinate 25%, whey protein 25%. If I want it to be a more open texture I add some CLO to the mix which reduces the cost as well. I know it’s usual to add confectionery flavours to milk protein mixes but these days I tend to add spices, essential oils and liver to good effect.

Hi Nu Val or make your own. I mix acid casein 25%, lactalbumin 25%, calcium casseinate 25%, whey protein 25%. If I want it to be a more open texture I add some CLO to the mix which reduces the cost as well. I know it’s usual to add confectionery flavours to milk protein mixes but these days I tend to add spices, essential oils and liver to good effect.
Fantastic post Nick, that’s bait making to a whole other level again and starting right from the bare bones ingredients.
Brilliant stuff. Must be very rewarding to catch on those baits. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

There is a really interesting (if you are that way inclined) podcast called ‘carp chronicles’ that interviews top carp anglers and bait manufacturers.

The bait guys go into the nuts and bolts of modern bait formulations - it gets pretty complicated with (for example) deliberate chemical reactions and then adding pH buffers to stop the proteins breaking down completely.

Some of the key modern ingredients are various yeasts (some base mixes include 3 different ones) and surprisingly high levels of vitamin/mineral supplements. A bit different to the protein mixes me and my mates made in the 80’s……

John Baker is on there, as is Dave Moore (x Nutrabaits) from Rollin baits. And a few more.

It’s just a basic four milks mix Rich, which my old mate Jon Callan put me on many years ago. Used it on a local river last season in pursuit of a pb chub and managed to smash it with a 7lb 2oz fish. If you keep the powders dry (preferably vacuum packed), it keeps pretty well.

I have yeasts in my current mix, no idea why though, just always seems to go with liver. May have read the musings of one of the bait gurus, back in the day when I didn’t realise how precious time is.

Back