• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

End of an era, for me

I empathise 100% Paul, barbel fishing can be a tough game especially on a spate river with their steep slippery banks, I have fished the Severn and its tributaries for nearly 50 years for its barbel, I was once described, 30 years ago, as a mountain goat as I slipped and edged my way down a precarious bank, to dangerous spot towards a raging river Severn just to get my bait into a particular spot, now I'm just an old goat who risk assess every swim I fish these days, Ive had a few near misses over the last 5 years and they can be thought provoking and make you fearful.

Nothing lasts forever and with barbel numbers forever decreasing its time for some of us to evolve onto pastures new, we will always be barbel fishermen, I will always fish for barbel, but it will be done differently.
The good thing Paul is that we saw the best of times, we came through times that will never be repeated, best of luck with your new direction and thank you for your candid thoughts.

I’ve had to change my fishing habits due to a back injury but I’m just as happy fishing for other species as I was when I was barbel obsessed. Hope you continue to find solace and happiness on the bank Paul. I too will always have very fond memories of the Kennet, Loddon and St Pats when they were in their prime.

Take it easy Paul plenty of other things to go at in life.

I empathise 100% Paul, barbel fishing can be a tough game especially on a spate river with their steep slippery banks, I have fished the Severn and its tributaries for nearly 50 years for its barbel, I was once described, 30 years ago, as a mountain goat as I slipped and edged my way down a precarious bank, to dangerous spot towards a raging river Severn just to get my bait into a particular spot, now I'm just an old goat who risk assess every swim I fish these days, Ive had a few near misses over the last 5 years and they can be thought provoking and make you fearful.

Nothing lasts forever and with barbel numbers forever decreasing its time for some of us to evolve onto pastures new, we will always be barbel fishermen, I will always fish for barbel, but it will be done differently.
The good thing Paul is that we saw the best of times, we came through times that will never be repeated, best of luck with your new direction and thank you for your candid thoughts.
Your exploits not too long ago that saw me staring at another Breakspear double figure Barbel cradled by yourself on the bank's of the Lower Severn was a remarkable period that sadly is probably consigned to history.
But as you say...we will always be barbel fishermen, well personally I only found barbel later in life but was lucky to have the occasional success but I have never had the drive or talent to achieve what you and others have done.
My need to live with nature not just fishing, is in a way fulfilled because I now have a huge 'back garden' that is a field where nature entertains 24/7.We live in a very modest house, we are not rich, but very much in touch with our surroundings, wild birds keep us entertained especially the Pheasants this time of year with the dominant males keeping all his ladies in line. 😊
My fishing fix is just a few miles away but despite the reduced Barbel numbers the hope is still there, and as you say we are all Barbel anglers at heart.

Your exploits not too long ago that saw me staring at another Breakspear double figure Barbel cradled by yourself on the bank's of the Lower Severn was a remarkable period that sadly is probably consigned to history.
But as you say...we will always be barbel fishermen, well personally I only found barbel later in life but was lucky to have the occasional success but I have never had the drive or talent to achieve what you and others have done.
My need to live with nature not just fishing, is in a way fulfilled because I now have a huge 'back garden' that is a field where nature entertains 24/7.We live in a very modest house, we are not rich, but very much in touch with our surroundings, wild birds keep us entertained especially the Pheasants this time of year with the dominant males keeping all his ladies in line. 😊
My fishing fix is just a few miles away but despite the reduced Barbel numbers the hope is still there, and as you say we are all Barbel anglers at heart.
Thank you for those kind words mate...

End of an era :

With some sadness I have decided to give up fishing for barbel, not a decision made on the spur of the moment, it's been coming for a while.

Several factors influenced my decision : age and safety, that I liked fishing alone and in darkness it just doesn't seem sensible any more, even though my health is (lucky me) pretty good and my knee replacement I had last year went well but am a bit unsteady at times, not ideal on river banks, and can't walk far with gear; distance I need to travel; Covid and its restrictions, which has taken away such a long period from our lives, I've not fished a river since around October 2020; and lastly, but not the main reason, is that there are just not the numbers of barbel about these days, I never minded blanking as such but so many sessions of recent years seemed like I was flogging a dead horse.

I fished for barbel for nearly 50 years, have enjoyed the best times but I feel the peak has passed. I caught a fair few barbel, a fair few big barbel, and made lots of good friends, but alas I won't renew my club permits.

However, I will still have the odd session, probably up on the Trent, and will continue my pursuit of crucians and tench that I started again a couple of years back.

Will still be here on BFW though :)
And then the summer sun shines, the rivers sparkle and we dust off our Barbel rods again…….😂😂😂

Thanks for all you have done for me over the years Paul, Im still trying to find the elusive Barbel on the Kennet but enjoy fishing my local river Cut at Bracknell which is only half a mile from where i live. Im fishing the Trent in July so maybe we will bump into each other again. All the best mate and up the Gunners.

Careful G :p

Screenshot_20220508-143048_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for all you have done for me over the years Paul, Im still trying to find the elusive Barbel on the Kennet but enjoy fishing my local river Cut at Bracknell which is only half a mile from where i live. Im fishing the Trent in July so maybe we will bump into each other again. All the best mate and up the Gunners.
Cheers Micky. It's been too long mate, perhaps we will meet somewhere soon, hope so.

End of an era :

With some sadness I have decided to give up fishing for barbel, not a decision made on the spur of the moment, it's been coming for a while.

Several factors influenced my decision : age and safety, that I liked fishing alone and in darkness it just doesn't seem sensible any more, even though my health is (lucky me) pretty good and my knee replacement I had last year went well but am a bit unsteady at times, not ideal on river banks, and can't walk far with gear; distance I need to travel; Covid and its restrictions, which has taken away such a long period from our lives, I've not fished a river since around October 2020; and lastly, but not the main reason, is that there are just not the numbers of barbel about these days, I never minded blanking as such but so many sessions of recent years seemed like I was flogging a dead horse.

I fished for barbel for nearly 50 years, have enjoyed the best times but I feel the peak has passed. I caught a fair few barbel, a fair few big barbel, and made lots of good friends, but alas I won't renew my club permits.

However, I will still have the odd session, probably up on the Trent, and will continue my pursuit of crucians and tench that I started again a couple of years back.

Will still be here on BFW though :)
Hi Paul. I am a relative newcomer to this Forum and confess that I don't "log in" every day. I have just come across your post and it resonates so much with me. Every year for the last 42 years myself and 6 of my oldest and dearest friends spend a week fishing for barbel on the Wye. We are becoming less agile (now in our 70's) and quite frankly if its been raining the banks are treacherous. I now seek out "comfortable swims" that are safe for playing and netting a fish. Inevitably these swims seldom hold any fish! We all live in East Anglia and as the Wensum barbel are like hens teeth our annual plod down to the Wye has become like a ritual. But, for how much longer? I'm guessing that, one day, we are going to have to make the decision that you have come to Paul. I will then content myself with catching some chub in the Upper Bure. Good luck for the future.

Hi Paul. I am a relative newcomer to this Forum and confess that I don't "log in" every day. I have just come across your post and it resonates so much with me. Every year for the last 42 years myself and 6 of my oldest and dearest friends spend a week fishing for barbel on the Wye. We are becoming less agile (now in our 70's) and quite frankly if its been raining the banks are treacherous. I now seek out "comfortable swims" that are safe for playing and netting a fish. Inevitably these swims seldom hold any fish! We all live in East Anglia and as the Wensum barbel are like hens teeth our annual plod down to the Wye has become like a ritual. But, for how much longer? I'm guessing that, one day, we are going to have to make the decision that you have come to Paul. I will then content myself with catching some chub in the Upper Bure. Good luck for the future.
Hi Paul. It's brilliant that you have been doing this for so many years but you're right to think safety over the desire to carry on the same, shame but good sense. Hope all goes well for you and your mates.

there is always still water barbel?,not been myself for 3 years due to a motorcycle back injury 30 years back now doing what the docs said it would..even getting to a swim would be a struggle but this weekend we had a trip out to two lake setups that also have barbel so feeling a little better about it all now and plan to get out in the next week or so, both have pull up to the peg access and one has pull up to ouse stretch..like 15m from the water, so send me a pm if you want to know

there is always still water barbel?,not been myself for 3 years due to a motorcycle back injury 30 years back now doing what the docs said it would..even getting to a swim would be a struggle but this weekend we had a trip out to two lake setups that also have barbel so feeling a little better about it all now and plan to get out in the next week or so, both have pull up to the peg access and one has pull up to ouse stretch..like 15m from the water, so send me a pm if you want to know
Think this is the wrong forum for that sort of talk🙄

On a different note, I was almost fifty before I had the opportunity to fish for barbel. Think of the all the years I lost in comparison to your exploits, Paul.
That makes two of us Anthony but I was over 50 when I first fished for Barbel. Now that I’m in my late 60’s I’m finding many areas/swims beyond the capability of two metal knees. My big regret is that way back in the late 70’s I worked with Mike Wilson and he offered to take me on the Kennet. What a mistake not to accept his offer, I was so tied up with carp fishing I never got round to it. I’d kick myself if I could get my leg up that high !!

Nearly 50 years actively chasing fish is a great run to have enjoyed and still the hobby to come, you'll soon be long chucking with the pin again on the Trent. Wish you well.

That makes two of us Anthony but I was over 50 when I first fished for Barbel. Now that I’m in my late 60’s I’m finding many areas/swims beyond the capability of two metal knees. My big regret is that way back in the late 70’s I worked with Mike Wilson and he offered to take me on the Kennet. What a mistake not to accept his offer, I was so tied up with carp fishing I never got round to it. I’d kick myself if I could get my leg up that high !!
At least you had Savay and Gentleman Mike, but yes, the Kennet was amazing 70's to late 90's for barbel

Back