• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Making Your Own Bait?

How many of you on here make your own bait/boilies?

• I enjoy making my own bait and think it adds to my enjoyment of fishing.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • I can't be doing with all that messing about and would rather just buy a shop bought freezer bait.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Through the season I do a little of both.

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters

Damian Kimmins

I think I've always enjoyed concocting recipes and making my own bait, but having started putting together some bait for this coming season wonder how many others may do the same, soooooo;

I absolutely love catching barbel on my own baits and recipes.
2 main reasons…..
1) I know exactly what goes into it and can there for hold an element of control over what they are feeding on in my swims
2) it’s far more rewarding to catch something on you’ve created yourself.

Add a home made feeder or lead and it’s a full house 😎

A little of both for me, though I find the lines are blurred slightly. for convenience, I often make up a paste out of base mix mixed with eggs, and chuck in a few extra ingredients like balachan or wheat gluten to make the paste more spongy. Sometimes rolled into sausages or soap bar and boiled for a minute or so, and then cut to size on the bank to make a hybrid boiled/paste pellet shaped hook bait, the sides being boiled, the ends being paste. Given that the main bulk of the base mix is either The Source, Activ8, Cell, or such like, I’m not sure which side of the above equation this falls on. Have I made it myself of just bought a base mix?

I’d like to do more bait making but with the specific notion of keeping things very simple and bypassing “The Bait Man”marketing hype and bullshit. I was much taken with a suggestion on here earlier in the year of using flavoured paneer cheese, and I am determined to try this and other “supermarket specials“ and Kevin Maddocks style bait recipes.

There‘s no doubt that making a bait, concocting a recipe adds a further level of satisfaction, as Richard said above. I’ve yet to make feeders or leads but I’ve made hundreds of floats and sundry bits and pieces like rod rests, catapults, tackle boxes and float winders as well as restoring many rods and and catching using these pieces is uniquely satisfying.

Generally freezer baits (never shelf lifes), although I don't use a lot of boilies for barbel, that may change a bit this season. I've made my own carp baits in the past, but in all honesty I don't feel I can make them any better than the freezer boilies I'm currently using. They are going into my freezer about 24 hrs after they were made, so I'm not concerned about freshness. And it's a fairly new bait that not many others are using (or at least I think..) And it saves the girls from having to put up with the smell, which is pretty rank tbh.

Got to be honest did a lot of bait making back in the 70’s/80’s. Had the motivation of having two mates with me and we had bait making evenings. Also in those days we had an edge but that edge is now in commercially produced baits so I tend to use either pellets, meat or a shelf life (haven’t got spare freezer capacity) but that could change this year as I’m getting a bait freezer from my late mum in laws flat so will be buying a few kg’s of fresh freezer bait. Will be interesting to make comparisons.

I made the switch from shelf life boilies and/or pellets to making my own baits at the start of last season. I’d been considering having a crack with John Baker’s base mixes & flavours and a few of his Instagram and YouTube vids convinced me to take the plunge. JB comes across really well on the clips and his Korda podcast also really demonstrated his knowledge & passion for baits & flavours.

I’m convinced these baits have put a few extra fish on the bank for me last season. I’m not suggesting his base mixes make ‘wonder baits’, but they’re definitely made from high quality ingredients and have been well thought through, I believe.

It took me a few attempts to get the consistency right, as I was going at it with my ‘cheffy’ head on, trying to gauge the exactly amount of base mix to egg weight and lock down a ‘recipe’. I just go by feel now and get good results every time. I still measure the liquid flavours accurately, mind.

A one egg mix is the perfect amount for a session’s worth of small (12-14mm) hookbaits and enough paste to make each of those a 16-18mm finished wrapped bait.

I’m fortunate enough to have a ‘fishing den’ at the bottom of the garden, with a dedicated freezer and an induction hob, so that makes things easier. I made a batch in the kitchen on a rainy winter’s night once when she was out, thinking a scented candle would hide the evidence. It didn’t. Ended up costing me a handbag & some shoes and now I’d get a slap if I left a brand new waggler in the kitchen. We live and learn..

Took me a bit of a while to gain the confidence in making my own baits, as I've always relied on shop brought baits.

My tentative steps with my baits started in arguably the worse time of year, in winter. But after a light prebait for a few days, I caught. (on a hard, low stock venue) And once you've caught on a proven recipe, it inspires you to carry on.

It can be a lot of fuss, but the complete process of putting ingredients together with the eggs through to boiling and air drying for a few hours, then storing through to catching, is a brilliant feeling & adds a lot of extra interest to your fishing experience! 😊

I made the switch from shelf life boilies and/or pellets to making my own baits at the start of last season. I’d been considering having a crack with John Baker’s base mixes & flavours and a few of his Instagram and YouTube vids convinced me to take the plunge. JB comes across really well on the clips and his Korda podcast also really demonstrated his knowledge & passion for baits & flavours.

I’m convinced these baits have put a few extra fish on the bank for me last season. I’m not suggesting his base mixes make ‘wonder baits’, but they’re definitely made from high quality ingredients and have been well thought through, I believe.

It took me a few attempts to get the consistency right, as I was going at it with my ‘cheffy’ head on, trying to gauge the exactly amount of base mix to egg weight and lock down a ‘recipe’. I just go by feel now and get good results every time. I still measure the liquid flavours accurately, mind.

A one egg mix is the perfect amount for a session’s worth of small (12-14mm) hookbaits and enough paste to make each of those a 16-18mm finished wrapped bait.

I’m fortunate enough to have a ‘fishing den’ at the bottom of the garden, with a dedicated freezer and an induction hob, so that makes things easier. I made a batch in the kitchen on a rainy winter’s night once when she was out, thinking a scented candle would hide the evidence. It didn’t. Ended up costing me a handbag & some shoes and now I’d get a slap if I left a brand new waggler in the kitchen. We live and learn..
I agree. Measuring any manufacturers flavours accurately is a brilliant way to gauge how your results will be. I actually ask what's their recommended inclusion levels, and I then go lower!
I've even caught on just base mix alone, after lowering the flavours to a point they're not needed. That's when you know your onto a brilliant base mix... When you can catch without flavours being added!

Still blank sometimes, but that's more to the fact they weren't in the area to start with. (That's what I tell myself 😂)

Hi men ,

If I was still barbel fishing I would be all over DNA Evo hookbait kits . The combo of liquids very attractive to barbel , and a few of their fantastic powders scream barbel hookbaits. The way they would release both I to the swim suits the way we fish , and how they detect and feed on baits. I'm sure if you watch the videos you will see the endless opportunities , clever system and underused.

Hatter

I have had a dabble at boilie making, but mainly if I make baits it is meat balls or cheese paste that is flavoured with something else.

Meatball Baits.jpg

I also make solid groundbait balls by simmering ground maize and hemp like making risotto until all the liquid has been absorbed then stir in some corn flour or chocolate powder then leave to cool. This can be formed into balls or a cake and allowed to dry. The bait goes to the bottom in one piece and slowly disintegrates as the starch dissolves.

I use commercial baits and make my own. There’s no doubt catching on a bait you’ve made yourself is extra special.
I’ve used my own bollie type baits to catch carp to 40lb+,chub and tench.
My son been using my bait tench fishing since closed season he’s after a 6 lb fish Local club lake,
He’s landed over 10 now 5lb14oz plus carp to 12lb+ 👍 I said I was going to tweak the mix slightly, his response
Do not change it I’ve had to promise not to change it🤣, but the dabbler in me at it again working on a new version🤣
I’d love to catch a barbel on it now that would be fantastic 🤞.
As I’ve said I use the commercial baits mainly the yellow northern specials wafters. I’ve seen my other sons friend
Use them on one 72hr session to great effect to land over 15 carp to 30lb+😮
I say what ever you do regards bait, make your own or buy commercial is fine👍

Always used to make my own bait and really found it interesting. Even made some bait (basemix) for BFW which was sold under the name of B8.
Boilies, pastes, steamed, meats etc etc.

Very addictive, time consuming and expensive hobby.

In recent years found it more convenient to use established basemixes and ingredients.
Still got a fridge full of additives and flavours.

Cheers
Bob

Tbh The only “ commercial “ man made bait I have ever used are plain halibut pellets,and paste wraps made from them , and then only used them because the barbel in the rivers I fish have been ‘ conditioned ‘ to them over the years by other anglers.
I have zero interest in bait making from all the exotic ingredients I read about.
I do not doubt for a minute that they work, but having fished alongside anglers that use them exclusivley I have seen no benefit whatsoever . Spam / meat in its various forms works just as well for me . I do not class spam as a commercially made bait as it is manufactured for human consumption as oppose to a fish bait, we have just adapted its use, along with bread , steak,cheese and other human foodstuffs that fish like .
Not sure where dog biscuits fit into that idea though .
I agree that catching using home made components is very satisfying, I use rods I have built, nets , rod rests, floats, feeders occasionally, sinkers , tackle boxes, bobbins, indicators.Bait droppers, Rebuilt or refinished reels Etc etc, all made or adapted my myself but so far as baits are concerned I will stick with going no further than pellets,messing about with exotic ingredients is a step too far for me .
Good luck to those who do make their own baits . I am sure you may all one day find that magic ingredient that guarantees results .

David

Tbh The only “ commercial “ man made bait I have ever used are plain halibut pellets,and paste wraps made from them , and then only used them because the barbel in the rivers I fish have been ‘ conditioned ‘ to them over the years by other anglers.
I have zero interest in bait making from all the exotic ingredients I read about.
I do not doubt for a minute that they work, but having fished alongside anglers that use them exclusivley I have seen no benefit whatsoever . Spam / meat in its various forms works just as well for me . I do not class spam as a commercially made bait as it is manufactured for human consumption as oppose to a fish bait, we have just adapted its use, along with bread , steak,cheese and other human foodstuffs that fish like .
I agree that catching using home made components is very satisfying, I use rods I have built, nets , rod rests, floats, feeders occasionally, sinkers , tackle boxes, bobbins, indicators.Bait droppers, Rebuilt or refinished reels Etc etc, all made or adapted my myself but so far as baits are concerned I will stick with going no further than pellets,messing about with exotic ingredients is a step too far for me .
Good luck to those who do make their own baits . I am sure you may all one day find that magic ingredient that guarantees results .

David
Can't think of anything worse than a magic bait which guarantees results! 🤣

David
Dave you’ve missed the point by a mile or certainly from my perspective.

I don’t make my own baits because I believe they catch more fish. Of course a handful of Halis is going to catch them equally as well or possibly even better but they are just full of oil and fat and not something I personally want to throw in the river.
I gave the two main points in my earlier post as to why I make own baits up with high quality ingredients. None of it mentioned wonder bait or improved catch results

Always used to make my own and caught some cracking fish on them, however given the nature of my work and lack of spare time I tend to buy shelf life and additional hookbaits from reputable companies, but tweak them slightly adding liquids and powder coatings. I still catch a decent amount on them compared to making my own so for me it's a lot more convenient.

Always used to make my own bait and really found it interesting. Even made some bait (basemix) for BFW which was sold under the name of B8.
Boilies, pastes, steamed, meats etc etc.

Very addictive, time consuming and expensive hobby.

In recent years found it more convenient to use established basemixes and ingredients.
Still got a fridge full of additives and flavours.

Cheers
Bob
I had to let go of my fridge full of flavours and base mixes years ago when I moved house, but was so strange how a fridge full of such stuff can take you on a journey of years whilst standing in your kitchen. Never tired of doing that curiously. Almost wish I'd never let it go.

Making my own boilies last year was a game changer. Had loads of really good captures and have no confidence in off-the-shelf mainstream boilies anymore.

Difference is i suppose i can put really expensive HNV ingredients in mine whereas commercial rollers need to think about profit margins.

Back