• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Back in the 80s...

Used most of the aforementioned...and also Bowlers Angling and used to order through Martin himself, remember I bought a few Mitchell reels from him which were the ideal size for my tenching... . Mitchell Performance anyone remember these?
Dreadful things really.:rolleyes:

Does this help at all ?

It is a page from the 1981 Tackle dealers directory . I cannot find a specific dealer in Leigh, but maybe one of the names would jog a memory cell ?

775810D2-15A7-4971-B95D-7B6112585844.jpeg

David

That 1981 tackle directory page takes me back to the 1960's let alone 80's,most of those Manchester tackle dealers were on my doorstep but by far the best memories are from Jim, Beryl and Pam at Gilders of Failworth.

There were a couple of big tackle shops based in Norfolk that used to advertise widely I recall. One towards Potter Higham and the other at Wroxham (Rons of Wroxham?)

Bill i bet you will remember the old send marketing bivvy,s or should I say canvas over wrap … it was like chucking a big Barbour jacket over your brolly weighed a bloody ton
You bet I do Terry. I was only talking about them the other day. A mate bought one and we both got in it at Dartford Lakes (Brooklands aka Goodwood in Quest for Carp). He had so many people enquire where he got it he should have got commission from Send. I also remember it was as heavy as hell ! 🤣

You bet I do Terry. I was only talking about them the other day. A mate bought one and we both got in it at Dartford Lakes (Brooklands aka Goodwood in Quest for Carp). He had so many people enquire where he got it he should have got commission from Send. I also remember it was as heavy as hell ! 🤣
Just right for your bright red sun lounger 😁 if I remember rightly the centre pole had to stay in upright….. back in the days when the Kevin nash range consisted of a weigh sling and a carp sack

Just right for your bright red sun lounger 😁 if I remember rightly the centre pole had to stay in upright….. back in the days when the Kevin nash range consisted of a weigh sling and a carp sack
Yup! Centre pole unright indeed Terry. My sun lounger was blue with extendable legs 🤩 my mate worked at Vickers and made the legs for quite a few locals but as he was my mate he did the full fitting as well. Other “customers” had to do their own cutting and fitting. Richard would have been alright 🤣

Oops.
As far as I remember they were the only suitable river roving bags around at that time. Well before the likes of Nash, Wychwood etc
Amazing thing was Steve it held all my food, tackle and bait for a weekend, an additional canvas “shopping” bag had my brewing gear, my bedchair under one arm and rod holdall on opposite shoulder and off I went round the lake. These days I need a yak train and team of sherpers to do a quick one nighter 😂

Yup! Centre pole unright indeed Terry. My sun lounger was blue with extendable legs 🤩 my mate worked at Vickers and made the legs for quite a few locals but as he was my mate he did the full fitting as well. Other “customers” had to do their own cutting and fitting. Richard would have been alright 🤣
Then Dave Barnes came along with lighter nylon bivvies and we all put bamboo canes under each rib so we could take the centre pole out. I had one and you could get 2 sun loungers under it.

Then Kevin Nash started selling his ‘sides’ that went on the brolly at ‘tilt’. Initially they had webbing fixed to the inside so you could weave the ribs through it (or stitch on small curtain rings). Next stage was sewing Velcro round the join……

Back