• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Extreme flood water feeders.

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I’ve put a little concept together today in a feeder for the most hardcore extreme fishing conditions. I’ve thought about exactly what is needed from a feeder to be effective in these conditions and built the first one this evening.

Obviously it’s got to stay on the bottom and not move while the river is racing through and the crap is building up on the line and for that reason I’ve gone with a colossal 240g (8.5oz)

Strength of the feeder is equally as important. Soft cages and bent on bits of lead don’t cut the mustard. Neither does weak plastic or weak joints. It’s gotta be built like a brick sh#T house to withstand these conditions time and time again. I’ve gone with full stainless steel blocked off and 3 thick coats of durable plastic coating. I could stand on this feeder and I’m sure it would take the strain no issues.

Bait capacity is large it will hold a good handful of your chosen bait but the design makes it a very slow release especially if you decide to part fill it with pellets or broken boilies.

It’s blocked off with mesh both ends with a small entry point on the bottom just big enough to fill it and compress it. The reason the entry point is at the bottom is this will be the end pointing forward while it’s flying so your bait doesn’t end up across the river on the cast.

In the fastest of flows with the amount of feeder being actual mesh the release of your bait will happen slowly over a long time keeping scent around your hook for longer which is always a challenge in extreme floods.

First one finished here
E2CAE7F3-EC77-4C7E-B864-88F5054C0385.jpeg
B9B86C07-94EC-449F-BD59-C54E63D93ADE.jpeg
F2AC53A5-0CAE-451D-9A24-AA7E2E46520D.jpeg

Now you can place an order for these. At the moment it’s about a month before I can do them but they are not cheap.
£5.50 each I’m afraid. There is a lot more work and material costs involved in these and that’s what they are. You can buy cheaper 8oz feeders on eBay if you want but these are made to go to war and the others I’ve seen around simply ain’t.

Last edited:
Great stuff. I’d buy some if there was ever any chance I’d use them, they are a thing of beauty.

They do look like something the MOD might be interested in buying. If you ever get bored with catching huge fish a lucrative career in R&D awaits

Great stuff. I’d buy some if there was ever any chance I’d use them, they are a thing of beauty.

They do look like something the MOD might be interested in buying. If you ever get bored with catching huge fish a lucrative career in R&D awaits
Cheers Dave. I’m not expecting many orders for these at all as there are very few of us that would actually need such a thing let alone be able to cast it.
It’s more really about pushing both weight and strength as far as I could. It’s unbelievably heavy duty. I see no reason whatsoever that should it not get lost on the river it would actually survive for years.

:eek: Blimey Rich, what sort of grenade launcher would you need to fire one of them out ?

P.S. Look incredible. 👍

The other part of my thinking around this feeder was a simple way of eliminating hook link tangles. Anyone who’s tried casting really heavy leads with light baits on long hooklinks particularly upstream knows all about this. It’s notorious for the light bait not to stay infront of a heavy lead or feeder and become tangled round it.
This resolves that problem because the small fill gap is a great size and shape to plug with a pva nugget and it won’t fall out during the cast as it’s gripped firm by the mesh corners
Simply fill your feeder with pellet or hemp or anything you want to be slowly released into the swim then plug the entry point with a pva nugget.
Then it’s just a simple case of double your hook link back and nick it through the exposed nugget.
Bingo!! Tangle free every cast no matter how long you want your hook link you can sit there in confidence that it’s presented perfect
78EE39AC-AB5F-4728-8D52-996B29D9BC80.jpeg
A3ABE8EC-F650-4B82-B3B4-A96A5EB45304.jpeg

If casting upwind with light baits and long leaders I just tuck my hook bait into the bottom of the feeder and press a bit more groundbait around it.

If casting upwind with light baits and long leaders I just tuck my hook bait into the bottom of the feeder and press a bit more groundbait around it.
Yep that’s exactly what I do a lot of the time.
Same idea here except you can now just nick it on a nugget. The hole is too small on this one to put a bait into.

Hi Rich, just a thought, if the cut away bit is at the top, assuming the feeder lies flat on the riverbed lead side down, how do the pellets get out, or is this intentional to just create a scent trail ?

Hi Rich, just a thought, if the cut away bit is at the top, assuming the feeder lies flat on the riverbed lead side down, how do the pellets get out, or is this intentional to just create a scent trail ?
slowly hopefully Derek in much the same way pellets etc manage to escape through block ends.
In a real flooded river where 8 oz plus is needed I believe they’ll get pushed out of it or certainly 80% will and you may bring it back with afew still in the bottom which I think is a good thing. If you’ve still got some in the feeder you’ve still got some attraction around your hook cos in all honesty everything that exists the feeder in those conditions isn’t likely to stay there long. Some of it will get held up around stones and gravel but most will get swept away.
I was ummmmming and arrrrrrring about going top or bottom and I went top in the end with my thinking going around that the release will happen albeit quite slow.

Back