• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bulk hemp

You could try copdock mill, bulk bags of most fishing baits, usually my local supplier has them in stock, (huge hemp), but you can buy directly from them 👍

Hi Derek, £63 seems awfully expensive for 20kg or is that just how much it costs these days? Last 25kg sack I bought was about £15!!

Yeah all ready to go. You can get uncooked stuff too but I just got the prepared stuff. I had a deal where I got 10kg free mixed hemp which I use on lakes when I go carp fishing.
The prepared stuff is £1 per kilo at the minute

Hey all,
Where is the best place to obtain bulk hemp seed nowadays, can't seem to find much info on the Web.
John,
Where are you based ? I get mine from Titmuss…£40!

Regards
Bill

Hi Derek, £63 seems awfully expensive for 20kg or is that just how much it costs these days? Last 25kg sack I bought was about £15!!
Hi John, it depends on what your after, top quality, or simple low quality bird food. £63 ,may sound like a lot, but its only just over £2 a kilo, yes there are cheaper options, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

I use Kent Particles, although not giant hemp, which means it leaves a feeder perfectly, it is pre cooked and perfect for geting down into the gravel which makes the fish have to grub around for it.

Monster particles all the way. Just need a huge freezer to stock it all. I got 40kg plus 4 big pots for 35 quid last month..

I use Kent Particles, although not giant hemp, which means it leaves a feeder perfectly, it is pre cooked and perfect for geting down into the gravel which makes the fish have to grub around for it.
Going off on a bit of a tangent I know - have you ever used the flavoured pellets from Kent Particle, seem good value?

I buy all my hemp and conditioner unprepared in big sacks off a friend who has a trade account with a bird feed company. Proper sized seeds with a beautiful green tint to them when uncooked.
There is no finer quality particles than when it’s been freshly cooked on the day or the evening before.
I’ve got a cracking method that I’ve perfected over the years to getting jet black shiny seeds with a superb split ratio and boy does it have some great pulling power.
Most tackle shop prepped hemp has been sitting there on the shelf afew days or more, it costs an arm n a leg and the seeds are tiny daft little things
With all bait I’ve found you get by far the best out of it when you put in the effort to prepare it fresh just before your session.

I steer clear of bulk buy cheap hemp from local seed merchants, as in my experience the grain size can be tiny, the seeds can be dead or when you get to bottom of the sack, it’s crawling with all manner of horrible bugs! I’ve even had sacks with dead mice and rat remains in them 🤢

You‘ll pay more if you buy from Hinders, CC Moore or Haithes, but the seed tends to have been washed, has a good grain size and splits on cooking every time.

And yes like everything else, the price of hemp as rocketed!

Going off on a bit of a tangent I know - have you ever used the flavoured pellets from Kent Particle, seem good value?
I use the Klips range of pellets and can say with no question that they and their boilies have caught me many wonderful fish. My personal choice is garlic Klips, paste, pellets and boilies😉 What most people probably don't know is that the whole bait range is based on the original Elipse recipe so no other words necessary😉

The original elipse pellets contained a small amount of astaxanthin which people often referred too as the magic ingredient in that particular pellet. I’m not sure but I don’t believe this ingredient is put into anglers pellets anymore due to the cost.
Barbel numbers declining is imo a more realistic reason rather than the old “wonder baits” working better back years go than the newer versions of today.

Back