• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Unexpected catch, not bad to end the season.

Huanzhou Zhu

I was fishing for barbel at a weir pool with luncheon meat, this little 10lber took the bait. I really thought I hooked a barbel or monster chub when I played it. And honestly, I was a little disappointed when I saw it’s a pike, and surprised. I never thought I will end the season catching a pike in fast flowing water with luncheon meat.

Attachments

• 01154AC6-8662-4460-AED3-39141DC3607A.jpeg
    01154AC6-8662-4460-AED3-39141DC3607A.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 164
Think I've caught more pike on luncheon meat than by design, they have a taste for it!
I agree. I’ve definitely had more pike on meat or (red) boilies in the last few seasons than I’ve had barbel. They do fool you initially but the regular short bursts of speed soon give them away.

Unfortunately, having planned a season ending trip on Thursday, I came down with Covid that morning, so my season is now over. Roll on June 16!🙃

Dave

I was fishing for barbel at a weir pool with luncheon meat, this little 10lber took the bait. I really thought I hooked a barbel or monster chub when I played it. And honestly, I was a little disappointed when I saw it’s a pike, and surprised. I never thought I will end the season catching a pike in fast flowing water with luncheon meat.
If you think that’s unusual look at what this bad boy had a taste for while I was tench fishing
I thought I’d hit a ballistic missile when I lifted into it on plastic corn 😳
C8D375FD-D6B6-49DA-9AFA-C97AC6D1C48C.jpeg
5863C82D-FD45-46A9-89F9-9C9C123479EB.jpeg

I had one on corn last year, was going for the small fish after the corn I'm pretty sure
Yeah that’s my theory as well. Never know though. There was an extremely large one come out on the Ouse at the beginning of the season to a carp angler on a boilie. I still don’t think it’s being bettered so far this season on that stretch.

I don’t want you to think I want to turn this into a “ mines bigger than yours” thread but MANY years ago, my 30th birthday as it happens, I banked a Pike, fairly hooked in the scissors, on a yellow boilie. There were mitigating circumstances however, the boilie was being retrieved behind a tri-lobe lead so the bait and lead had risen in the water column and probably looked like some sort of lure. I initially thought I had foul hooked a carp which were beginning to cruise the surface of the lake. Took a while to control it which added to my conviction of a foul hooking. Result was

1DB43026-3D58-4911-BA48-5AF29DFD66F4.jpeg

31lb 13oz of summer pike.

PS. Don’t mind the haircut please, it was nearly forty years ago 🤣

That is a fantastic fish.

a pal of mine once had a 19.8 pike on a piece of (static) flake at 1 am one night whilst tench/rudd fishing in Wales. Not quite in your league !

I don’t want you to think I want to turn this into a “ mines bigger than yours” thread but MANY years ago, my 30th birthday as it happens, I banked a Pike, fairly hooked in the scissors, on a yellow boilie. There were mitigating circumstances however, the boilie was being retrieved behind a tri-lobe lead so the bait and lead had risen in the water column and probably looked like some sort of lure. I initially thought I had foul hooked a carp which were beginning to cruise the surface of the lake. Took a while to control it which added to my conviction of a foul hooking. Result was

View attachment 18490

That’s a fish for life.
PS. That’s a nice haircut.

Many years back on the Kennet we'd regularly get a 3ft twitch as the meat settled and no hook when retrieved. We assumed chub.
Eventually a pike was taken and was given the goodnight kiss as my friend's dad liked to eat them.
When it was gutted it was full to bursting with cubes of luncheon meat!
I think that settles the matter.

Many years back on the Kennet we'd regularly get a 3ft twitch as the meat settled and no hook when retrieved. We assumed chub.
Eventually a pike was taken and was given the goodnight kiss as my friend's dad liked to eat them.
When it was gutted it was full to bursting with cubes of luncheon meat!
I think that settles the matter.
Out of curious, what about the hooks? Did you manage to retrieve any from the gutted pike😆
Is pike good to eat? I know French likes to eat it.

Don't know about the hooks I'm afraid. Apparently the flesh is pretty bland so needs some sort of sauce. Indeed it's a popular dish in France. I think it has lots of small bones.

View attachment 18490

Tarted it up for you Bill 👍

1DB43026-3D58-4911-BA48-5AF29DFD66F4 (1).jpg

I have eaten Pike in Germany a few times, It is called ‘Hecht ‘ , the daughter in laws Mum cooks it for us, as fillets, and it is very tasty . It is rod and line caught commecially on a lake local to where they live in Feldberg Seenlandschaft .

In fact she prepared Zander, , Pike and Catfish for us one time, and they were all tasty , all caught commercially as above.

David.

I have eaten Pike in Germany a few times, It is called ‘Hecht ‘ , the daughter in laws Mum cooks it for us, as fillets, and it is very tasty . It is rod and line caught commecially on a lake local to where they live in Feldberg Seenlandschaft .

In fact she prepared Zander, , Pike and Catfish for us one time, and they were all tasty , all caught commercially as above.

David.
Catfish is very tasty. The problem is, like all the fresh water fish, it has too many small bones.

Back