• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bulk halibut pellets

Matthew Thompson

Afternoon all, i am looking for recommendations for the best online shop for bulk pellets, 4,6,8,and 11mm getting stocked up for the summer, thanks in advance fellas

The last quantity of halibuts I bought came from AA baits (primarily a carp bait supplier).

For other pellets I use Aller aqua - they sell allsorts of different varieties and they are top quality.

My local animal feed merchant sells Coppens (a variety) pellets but are quite expensive.

I get mine from Titmus in Wheathampstead, always been good quality and it’s 5 minutes away from the upper lea if I’m fishing there

I've been given a very good price for skrettings coarse pellets from my local animal feed place. I've asked him to find out how much the Halibuts are. Not sure there is much or any difference in price??

May I ask; why buy in bulk? High oil content pellets are prone to going rancid and unusable if kept too long.
SO - unless you are chucking in large quantities every trip you go on; and in winter that would kill your sport and everyone else's;
due to the undigestablity of the food stuff. Also pellets are harmful due to the sourcing of the ingredients from countries where banned chemicals are found them. I will not use pellets and believe they have been part of the problem with the decline in river sport full stop. The barbel become dependant upon them - see the research done on river Severn and Teme. The fish become obese and ill making them easier targets for the predators and more likey not to recover well after being landed.
I would like to see the artificial environment caused by these baits being banned and a return to healthy fish and rivers again. Of course that also means acting against the pollution of the rivers too>

I've never used pellets and don't intend to (a single meat hookbait all the way for me), and I'm not going to get involved with the ethical argument about their use but, just generally, does no one bother with the Hinders pellets anymore? I know they changed (and perhaps have changed again?), but always thought they were the go-to pellet for most.

Matthew, your 20kg with many other anglers throwing in as much or more; high fat and badly looked after bait; great for the barbels health...............
I think not
oh come on ! behave please !
do you THINK only Barbel eat pellets then ?? Bream Chub Carp and more or less every fish swimming in the river eats them too ! think a lot of people see a problem and then come up with theories that are often so way off the mark 🤔 fish eat when they are hungry your not force feeding them !! pellets break down fairly quickly in running water and even the smallest hordes of fry polish it off too

Last edited:
I've never used pellets and don't intend to (a single meat hookbait all the way for me), and I'm not going to get involved with the ethical argument about their use but, just generally, does no one bother with the Hinders pellets anymore? I know they changed (and perhaps have changed again?), but always thought they were the go-to pellet for most.
Steve, the hinders pellets are still my go to, IMO if you choose not to use pellet you will catch less barbel but that’s your perogative.

do you THINK only Barbel eat pellets then ?? Bream Chub Carp and more or less every fish swimming in the river eats them too ! think a lot of people see a problem and then come up with theories that are often so way off the mark 🤔 fish eat when they are hungry your not force feeding them !! pellets break down fairly quickly in running water and even the smallest hordes of fry polish it off too
Scientific research has shown that daphnia also absorb nutrition from pellets. However, some of these studies conclude that pellets have an adverse affect on the bio system of the river.

Buying pellets in 20kg bags also has the benefit of a best before date stamped on the bag.

Pellets are a good source of nutrition, hence why the majority of fish rearers use them. The oil content is there to provide a lipid source (energy), this allows for protein sparing. (so the protein content can be utilised for growth & repair).

Dont forget, inland farmed fish are reared in a closed environment, so the majority of their food source will come from a pellitised diet, if they were harmful, fish farmers would be out of business.

In my opinion the majority of issues come when people keep pellets longer than their best before date or store them incorrectly. The oil can go rancid which can cause issues. As the oil oxidises the pellets start to smell like linseed oil (remember the smell of cricket bat oil?) - then it's time for the bin.

Split a bag with a few mates, use them within the BBF date, store in an air tight bucket away from direct sunlight and you won't have any issues.

As said previously, everything in the river eats them, from barbel, chub and hoards of minnows down to the small invertabrates. Throw a few in the edge in Summer and see for yourself. Add to this the flow of the river which will contantly trickle bait downstream and isn't a 'closed' environment like a lake.

Stick to sensible amounts and store them properly and you won't cause any problems in my experience.

If you dont want to use them on environment principles, that's fine too. Different strokes for different folks 👍

All the best

Yes Gerry; all fish eat the pellets; even though they break down in the water; the chemicals and hormones that change the fishes ability to produce eggs and put on weight instead is in the water affecting all of them too.

Buying pellets in 20kg bags also has the benefit of a best before date stamped on the bag.

Pellets are a good source of nutrition, hence why the majority of fish rearers use them. The oil content is there to provide a lipid source (energy), this allows for protein sparing. (so the protein content can be utilised for growth & repair).

Dont forget, inland farmed fish are reared in a closed environment, so the majority of their food source will come from a pellitised diet, if they were harmful, fish farmers would be out of business.

In my opinion the majority of issues come when people keep pellets longer than their best before date or store them incorrectly. The oil can go rancid which can cause issues. As the oil oxidises the pellets start to smell like linseed oil (remember the smell of cricket bat oil?) - then it's time for the bin.

Split a bag with a few mates, use them within the BBF date, store in an air tight bucket away from direct sunlight and you won't have any issues.

As said previously, everything in the river eats them, from barbel, chub and hoards of minnows down to the small invertabrates. Throw a few in the edge in Summer and see for yourself. Add to this the flow of the river which will contantly trickle bait downstream and isn't a 'closed' environment like a lake.

Stick to sensible amounts and store them properly and you won't cause any problems in my experience.

If you dont want to use them on environment principles, that's fine too. Different strokes for different folks 👍

All the best
Rich; no the fish farmers wouldn't be out of business; just make less profit. And saying it isn't harmful; have you not seen the pictures of the salmon or trout etc in the cages.

Back