• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centre pin advice please ?

Speedias are excellent - the three position ratchet may be useful on faster flows but probably unnecessary for most situations,
I ordinarily use a Milltackle Barbel Catcher that has a variable ratchet, or a Fred Crouch Jet, which doesn't The latter's ratchet isn't as firm as it could be, however it can be modified to be so.
For occasional use, which you mention, any of the aforementioned(in previous posts) will more than do the job. Personally, I prefer a true pin as opposed to one with bearings. There's very little (if any) difference in practical terms, however.

If you want a side caster, there's the JW Young rolling pin or a Lewtham Quest (plus maybe a couple of others). To eliminate line twist it's vital you use braid on the side casters.

For me, there's nothing as exciting as playing a large barbel using a 'pin, and I've used them exclusively over the last ten years or so.

Interesting Richard, I have read quite a few suggestions that Sidecast reels cause line twist, I use a Ray Walton loaded with mono ( I wont use braid either as a main line or hook length ) but have not noticed any line twist or coil problems at all .
I am sure others have experienced it otherwise it would not be mentioned .

So far so good for me .

David

Interesting Richard, I have read quite a few suggestions that Sidecast reels cause line twist, I use a Ray Walton loaded with mono ( I wont use braid either as a main line or hook length ) but have not noticed any line twist or coil problems at all .
I am sure others have experienced it otherwise it would not be mentioned .

So far so good for me .

David
That's good to hear, David. As I've nothing other than anecdotal evidence (I use braid) I may well be perpetuating a myth. God I hope not!

Perhaps it just happened once to one angler, and the thing snowballed to become 'accepted wisdom' some years later. It wouldn't be the first time. I'm only sorry I was involved in the spreading of it. 😀

The Lewtham Leeds is quite a nice reel, in the 4.5" size. The best version, I think, is with a ratchet clicker rather than a friction brake. They can sometimes be got for well under fifty quid on ebay, although there are lots of sellers asking for more than that!
There is also a rare sidecast version, although I haven't seen one in the flesh so to speak. There is also the 5.5" model, spins for ever probably best for long trotting when you want a quicker retrieve.

The thing about side casters causing line twist came about many years ago mainly when used for sea fishing. It may be that the modern habit of having a lead sliding on a swivel along the main line results in less or no line twist. The old methods involved a lead tied to the end of the line with snoods attached to hook links.

I remember I read on a Facebook group, the MK I ray Walton pin doesn't cause line twist, but the MK II does. Don't know how and why, just a few people posted it like that. But I can confirm it does cause line twist with mono. And Ray Walton suggest if you want to use Mono, use pre stretched mono which will reduce the line twist.

I've never had a side-caster/rolling-pin but used to cast off the side with my aerials, and often used to release line into the flow to let it untwist, not always successfully. I changed from Maxima (when it kept failing on me) to several other mono lines ending up with GR60 but line twists were a huge problem. I chatted to Ray Walton at length and he said to try braid, Spiderwire was his (then) choice but I didn't like that and tried PowerPro which I've used ever since with no problems at all, although I rarely cast off the side these days since my fishing methods changed.

Back in the day colliery engineers were kept busy making Scarborough reels for the many sea anglers who worked down the pits. I have seen a lot of these reels fashioned out of Tuffnel sheets and cycle wheel hubs. I never saw one with a brake though.

When boats set out from the Yorkshire ports on a weekend almost every single occupant was wearing yellow NCB waterproofs and black ribbed wellies. Even if they didn't work at the collieries they would know someone who did.

Hi all, can anyone recommend a Centre Pin reel for occasional use please ?
Not looking for anything expensive , but needs to work well when ledgering.
Thanks in Advance 👍
There is a suitable reel on classifieds at the moment.

Back