• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter gear

Steve Lewis

Appreciate we're coming into spring now, but I'm thinking ahead...

I need to get some new winter outer gear (already got a decent base layer for cycling which has also been brill for fishing) and I'm looking at the Prologic thermo suit (jacket and bib/brace). Seems to be reasonably priced for a thermal 100% waterproof jacket and trousers, BUT I've been into three tackle shops and none of them have had either the full suit or the individual pieces in stock for me to have a feel or try on.

I am aware that Prologic clothing is quite marmite, and I also know that there have been quality control issues in the fairly recent past (although reading around it would appear those issues have now been resolved), but the reviews of the thermo suit are generally positive.

Any opinions on it?

Any alternative suggestions?

I know army surplus stuff is popular on here, but I've been to the two surplus stores near me and am overwhelmed by the stuff they've got, and some of it is no cheaper than Prologic and similar (a lot of it was actually a good deal more expensive).

I go pike fishing on the Somerset levels, so when it's cold down there it's VERY cold, and if it's windy that can cut right through.

Appreciate we're coming into spring now, but I'm thinking ahead...

I need to get some new winter outer gear (already got a decent base layer for cycling which has also been brill for fishing) and I'm looking at the Prologic thermo suit (jacket and bib/brace). Seems to be reasonably priced for a thermal 100% waterproof jacket and trousers, BUT I've been into three tackle shops and none of them have had either the full suit or the individual pieces in stock for me to have a feel or try on.

I am aware that Prologic clothing is quite marmite, and I also know that there have been quality control issues in the fairly recent past (although reading around it would appear those issues have now been resolved), but the reviews of the thermo suit are generally positive.

Any opinions on it?

Any alternative suggestions?

I know army surplus stuff is popular on here, but I've been to the two surplus stores near me and am overwhelmed by the stuff they've got, and some of it is no cheaper than Prologic and similar (a lot of it was actually a good deal more expensive).

I go pike fishing on the Somerset levels, so when it's cold down there it's VERY cold, and if it's windy that can cut right through.
I had one for afew years and it’s not a bad suit for the brass. Very warm, sizes are accurate and yes it is waterproof.

However for 80 quid you obviously can’t expect miracles. Mine eventually tore right through on a couple of stitched joints. It’s a very heavy suit and while it is waterproof, water doesn’t run off it it stays in the material making it even heavier.

I replaced it over a year ago now for the vass winter 175 suit which is over twice the price mind.

The vass suit is half the weight for similar warmth and water runs straight off it like the back of a duck.
So it’s entirely up to you really. The prologic is fine for £80 and I have no complaints for that kind of money whatsoever.
If you want something really really good then spend around £200 and get the vass 175 winter lined stuff. 👍🏻

I'm on my 2nd winter of my aldi bib and brace bottoms. They are totally waterproof and really warm. Did an overnight session in them where it went down to minus 5 I never got the coat because I have loads of coats. I have got a 2nd hand snugpak coat which is insanely warm. I carry a lightweight waterproof jacket if I think its going to rain.

Iv had a prologic suit for about 10 years,it's finally given up on me,Iv never been cold or wet in it and iv spent a lot off winters pike fishing in it in the lake district, in some terrible weather. The only thing I can say is it can get heavy when wet.I couldn't find a replacement locally so have opted for a trakker 2 piece suit,not tested it yet but it seems good for the money and gets good reviews.

recently bought one of these after getting many good years from a wychwood suit … i’ve only worn it about 5 times but i’m very impressed very warm and very comfortable and waterproof

Got the Pro Logic coat and Salopettes, coat is very warm, albeit a bit bulky, look like the hulk. Have the Aldi Salopettes and great for the money, but the Pro Logic Salopettes are excellent, and are good single purchase if you dont need another coat.

I LOVE my Prologic thermo suit
I had the original one for well over 10 years never got cold never got wet I gave it to a mate when I put on weight
if your sitting static in freezing raining conditions it pisses all over the other suits costing double no question you wont get wet you wont get cold there are DIFFERENT versions !!
some are lighter than others LOOK at the specs of the different versions some are 160gsm lighter ones are 120gm

However if you want a suit for moving around DONT GET this one you will be too hot and its too heavy
my choice is a snugpak coat pair of winter lined craghopper trousers and if its raining a ex army Flectarn Gortex suit on top or Berghaus if you want to splash the cash

Last edited:
Imax sea fishing floatation suits buy slightly larger to facilitate base layers, they are bib and braces witha jacket good warm waterproof clothing that just might save your life if you fall in . Have served me well with all the Humber and tidal trent can throw at me , only bad point they do stand out a bit colour wise .

As an undergarment I have 2 of these and find them far better than a sleepersuit.
Big advantage having long body covering the base of the back well

I had one for afew years and it’s not a bad suit for the brass. Very warm, sizes are accurate and yes it is waterproof.

However for 80 quid you obviously can’t expect miracles. Mine eventually tore right through on a couple of stitched joints. It’s a very heavy suit and while it is waterproof, water doesn’t run off it it stays in the material making it even heavier.

I replaced it over a year ago now for the vass winter 175 suit which is over twice the price mind.

The vass suit is half the weight for similar warmth and water runs straight off it like the back of a duck.
So it’s entirely up to you really. The prologic is fine for £80 and I have no complaints for that kind of money whatsoever.
If you want something really really good then spend around £200 and get the vass 175 winter lined stuff. 👍🏻
How warm is vass 175 winter jacket? would you say it is also good for spring/autumn with less laying? Thanks.

10/10 on that front.
It’s a weird material, quite rubbery feeling. In my opinion it’s not a very breathable thing to wear.
I guess that's quite often the way though isn't it - if you want decent breathability you almost always sacrifice waterproofing to a degree. Not that I'm an expert (obviously!) but I've yet to come across a garment where the water runs right off it in beads like a frying pan AND is significantly breathable. I'm sure such outer gear exists, but I suspect it's at the very top of the price chain.

I guess that's quite often the way though isn't it - if you want decent breathability you almost always sacrifice waterproofing to a degree. Not that I'm an expert (obviously!) but I've yet to come across a garment where the water runs right off it in beads like a frying pan AND is significantly breathable. I'm sure such outer gear exists, but I suspect it's at the very top of the price chain.
Exactly Steve. I believe your spot on there. This vass stuff doesn’t let anything through at all but as you rightly say the trade off is nothing gets out either and you do end up sweating after a good bit of activity carrying your gear

Back