• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roach

Disgraceful. Keepers should be banned. Watched a match weigh-in a few years ago, no regard for the fish at all.

I’ve had little matches with my boys on the grand union 20 odd yrs ago and I regret to say that was us re: landing pic 😔
As the boys became older we all ditched the keep nets
Now we all catch and release ASAP after a pic if warranted🤞
The first pic reminded me of the cod end on a trawler 😮

I had not used a keepnet for 40 years...However I have started to use one on the Hereford Town stretch when after roach..

I have no doubt that a few fish returned leave and take the shoal with them.

As not competition fishing, a quick look at lifting and a quick upturn they are released.

Anything special and a photo taken after capture.

That is the only place I use a keepnet.

Added. Just seen a picture in FB of a match on the Severn. About 50 barbel around 3-4lb tipped on the towpath for a picture. That's just one competitor.

Amazing there are any barbel left in the river. And thank God in Most matches there is much more care taken nowdays

I had not used a keepnet for 40 years...However I have started to use one on the Hereford Town stretch when after roach..

I have no doubt that a few fish returned leave and take the shoal with them.

As not competition fishing, a quick look at lifting and a quick upturn they are released.

Anything special and a photo taken after capture.

That is the only place I use a keepnet.

Added. Just seen a picture in FB of a match on the Severn. About 50 barbel around 3-4lb tipped on the towpath for a picture. That's just one competitor.

Amazing there are any barbel left in the river. And thank God in Most matches there is much more care taken nowdays
Hi Graham, if you watch any of Mark Wintles wonderful videos on YouTube, you'll see that he returns all the fish directly back into the swim, without any negative consequences. Personally I've not used a keepnet for 30 years I guess and I also put the fish back directly. If and when I catch a chub say, I'll walk some yards upstream to return it.

Hi Chris. Yes I suspect Mark is fishing in a very different environment. Large roach and not large shoals and without an angler a swim below and one two swims above.... ..hoping to pull any fish you have attracted.

Unless he is in Wareham car park of course😁

Hi Chris. Yes I suspect Mark is fishing in a very different environment. Large roach and not large shoals and without an angler a swim below and one two swims above.... ..hoping to pull any fish you have attracted.

Unless he is in Wareham car park of course😁
Not necessarily large fish at all.
btw, when I say some yards, I'm talking five or so.

I'm with Graham on this. I have used a keepnet for years and too many times I have not used one and stopped catching especially when chub fishing. I fished matches and organised them for years as well as looking after the venues. Over that time I have seen many fish damaged by poor handling and can remember the times when barbel were plentiful and it was unfortunately common to see them belly up floating down the river. Poor handling not keepnets the problem. I don't always use one but if I want to I believe I can justify it, if I can't then catch and release fishing has to be called into question IMO.

Hi Graham, if you watch any of Mark Wintles wonderful videos on YouTube, you'll see that he returns all the fish directly back into the swim, without any negative consequences. Personally I've not used a keepnet for 30 years I guess and I also put the fish back directly. If and when I catch a chub say, I'll walk some yards upstream to return it.
Just discovered Marks channel Chris.
Excellent very informative

First trip of the New Year with new IM8 and Shimano Super Match combo today. I had a small roach first cast and another not long after. Them after quite a wait I hooked something heavy that bent the rod right down to the corks. Unfortunately I couldn't stop it swimming into a snag and the link snapped at the loop when I tried to encourage out. Hope it was just a Chub! Had a decent Chub later and the fight was something else.

I think keepnets become a problem when they contain too many fish and for too long. Also, how the fish are returned to the water from them can cause damage, but if used correctly, I don’t have a problem with them for the smaller species. I personally don’t use them because they’re just another thing to carry. I too follow Mark Wintle on YouTube. He’s quite an expressionless presenter, but somehow mesmerising. Very informative.

I have subscribed to Mark's videos which make a refreshing and enjoyable change from others.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Great to have short session into dusk. Had a few small roach while the sun was bright and then as it almost got too dark to see the tip clearly it disappeared round the corner. 1lb 7 and a bit. New rod properly christened.
20210228_181004.jpg

Happy New Year Roach people!
I had my first trip of 2022 this afternoon and despite getting caught in a horizontal downpour I was very happy. Fishing the far bank, slightly upstream, for most of the session was quite tricky with the wind but worth it. First one I’ve bothered weighing this season, 1lb 5oz and it looked in good condition. Also lost something bigger and faster on the previous cast. Might have been a chub or possibly a grab by a pike but then again it might have been a stupendous redfin. I love in hope. Will try to return to fill my boots while the river is spot on and warm.

Happy New Year Roach people!
I had my first trip of 2022 this afternoon and despite getting caught in a horizontal downpour I was very happy. Fishing the far bank, slightly upstream, for most of the session was quite tricky with the wind but worth it. First one I’ve bothered weighing this season, 1lb 5oz and it looked in good condition. Also lost something bigger and faster on the previous cast. Might have been a chub or possibly a grab by a pike but then again it might have been a stupendous redfin. I love in hope. Will try to return to fill my boots while the river is spot on and warm.

Attachments

• D6C1D1FD-0884-4408-985B-46F0C52C0FCC.jpeg
    D6C1D1FD-0884-4408-985B-46F0C52C0FCC.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 161
Caught this at 3lb 3oz, from a Yorkshire lake a few weeks ago. Apart from the colour its a Roach to me, thoughts please.

Attachments

• 20220918_154348.jpg
    20220918_154348.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 20220918_182555.jpg
    20220918_182555.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 20220918_154344.jpg
    20220918_154344.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 20220918_154311.jpg
    20220918_154311.jpg