• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait Dropper

Hi all, can you recommend a bait dropper suitable for medium / small sized rivers with a little flood water delivered by a 2.25tc rod? Depths probably up to 8ft, Many thanks

Hi all, can you recommend a bait dropper suitable for medium / small sized rivers with a little flood water delivered by a 2.25tc rod? Depths probably up to 8ft, Many thanks
Whilst spoppers etc are good for larger rivers like the Trent or Thames, if you are fishing smaller rivers I wouldn't look any further than a Seymo or equivalent bait dropper ;)

I use a Spopper on the Hants Avon and Dorset stour. In the mini & midi sizes.

Each to their own and whatnot, but for me, Spoppers have got a couple of advantages.

They certainly don’t make as much commotion going in and out as a traditional dropper.

They also deploy their payload straight on to the bottom, whereas traditional droppers sometimes land flat on the deck, requiring that little flick of the wrist to right them and trigger the mechanism, causing the dropper to rise up, which is enough to send a fair old amount of the contents further downstream than is desired. Not ideal, if you’re looking to accurately bait. Obviously, the faster the flow, the more this is exacerbated.

If the smaller sized spopper examples were deemed too big, they don’t have to be filled completely. Also, if a tighter bed of bait is required, one full spopper will do what 3-4 small/medium droppers will do.

The mini spopper is my favorite and most used size. It plays such a huge part to the success in my fishing, I actually think I’d pack up without casting a line if I forgot it.

You do not need a big river to use them you just need a firm river bed. The depth is irrelevant because within the first foot of sinking it’s pointing at the floor.

You need to know how to cast one mind because you can’t treat them like carp spombs. They don’t work with line clips because if it sinks in an arc the pin won’t shunt the bottom vertically
The best way to be accurate with it is over shoot them, nip the line on Impact and retrieve them back to your perfect spot then release and give it a couple of seconds before bringing it back.

Droppers are a thing of the past imo. Clumsy uncastable things that seem to hit the water in anyway that they like.

I have two of the large Fox baitdroppers. Apart from reinforcing the door hinge as a precautionary measure I haven't had any problems with them.

I have two of the large Fox baitdroppers. Apart from reinforcing the door hinge as a precautionary measure I haven't had any problems with them.
I got sick of the doors falling off them so I made a couple of substantial ones
652A14AA-2140-4C41-A06D-43E246656ED3.jpeg
025C43E7-6E97-4C9D-A05B-A7B4780652E7.jpeg
95002EF8-6E3B-4748-9AE4-9EFFC18FDCC5.jpeg

Don’t use em now as the Spoppers are a lot better

I bought mine before we came to France 10 years ago. One is still in its plastic blister pack, the other gets regular use on the Vienne and Charente rivers. The door hasn't yet fallen off or needed the reinforcing safety measure I added. It has remained unmolested by predators and thankfully avoided snags. Can't fault it.

There is a useful technique if you are fishing a snaggy area. You put a large pike float above the dropper. The float should be free running. After casting let the reel line run free without any hinderance and let the float drift downstream a bit after the dropper has landed. Then when you retrieve the dropper is pulled upwards by the buoyancy of the float. Like the old otters salmon anglers used to free snagged spinners, and charter boats use a similar method to get their anchors up when wreck fishing.

Agree with Rich - spoppers are a game changer and have pretty much replaced bait droppers in much the same way that spombs made spods redundant. Bfw spopper is quality and only negative is worrying about losing it in snaggy swims . . !

I never used a bait dropper or a stopper, but by looking at the pictures, the way they work is very similar, just different shape of the bait container?
So why the spopper is better than a bait dropper? Thanks.

Back