• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gone Fishing is back

I kinda get what you’re saying, Clive. But if you think about, what would the alternatives have been?

Doing a live show in late December?

Filming once the leaves had dropped and the weather looked ‘right’ and making a rushed and bodged job of the editing and production?

Filming in December last year? Not the best of times to be planning for the long game, I’m sure you’d agree.

Personally, I think that any angler that has really strong negative views on the show is missing the point, somewhat.

It’s a great advert for fishing on a higher platform than we could really hope for in present times. It also tackles some issues that us ‘blokes’ are generally uncomfortable talking about, it does so in a lighthearted and dignified manner (with fart jokes and impressions of Robert De Niro).

P.s Took the kids to see the new the Spiderman a few days ago. It was a bit far fetched, I wouldn’t bother 🤣

Wowzas…
If you want to see these things explained properly watch Call The Midwife. They have done Thalidomide, contraception, poverty and all the social issues of the 60's. They didn't drag up an aging rock star or fallen footballer for a two minute cameo to make a point ;)

If you want to see these things explained properly watch Call The Midwife. They have done Thalidomide, contraception, poverty and all the social issues of the 60's. They didn't drag up an aging rock star or fallen footballer for a two minute cameo to make a point ;)
Paul Gascoine was one of the finest football talents this country has produced who happens to fish too, cut him some slack, you cite Call The Midwife as a reliable source for informed advice, hardly an era where there was reliable advice given to all manner of subjects, especiaļy health around smoking, drinking etc.The advice given by Gone Fishing regarding health is given in a sensible manner and not patronising.

Anybody been fishing recently?
Yes. Today😉
20211229_141755.jpg
20211229_110617.jpg

Like the programme if you like it, don't if you don't.
Personally as a Christmas episode I thought it was rather pointless - rather an effort to cash in on the shows success than offer anything worthwhile. In an effort to make the programme I thought at least a couple of scenes were positively awkward through their inclusion.

Paul Gascoine was one of the finest football talents this country has produced who happens to fish too, cut him some slack, you cite Call The Midwife as a reliable source for informed advice, hardly an era where there was reliable advice given to all manner of subjects, especiaļy health around smoking, drinking etc.The advice given by Gone Fishing regarding health is given in a sensible manner and not patronising.
Neil, CTM was cited for how brilliantly they raise these subjects and their now known consequences. Paul Gasgoine's appearance was a clumsy attempt at best. It was awkard and hard to watch. I like the fishing content of the program and the inter action between Paul and Bob. I would love to have a day's fishing with PW as I think he is a very skilled angler. Perhaps they could drop the clumsy attempts at the welfare issues and let Paul learn Bob how to fish better?

As for how they should have better dealt with the pretend Christmas side of it; perhaps dropping the Christmas bit altogether would have helped.

Neil, CTM was cited for how brilliantly they raise these subjects and their now known consequences. Paul Gasgoine's appearance was a clumsy attempt at best. It was awkard and hard to watch. I like the fishing content of the program and the inter action between Paul and Bob. I would love to have a day's fishing with PW as I think he is a very skilled angler. Perhaps they could drop the clumsy attempts at the welfare issues and let Paul learn Bob how to fish better?

As for how they should have better dealt with the pretend Christmas side of it; perhaps dropping the Christmas bit altogether would have helped.
I thought at the time, but wonder if Paul Whitehouse's absence in some sections of the programme an indication of disagreements in the direction.

I'm not a fan off the show,I watched the first series and thought it was OK,but after that it's become very repetitive,but at least it brings angling to mainstream TV and shows of some of the best British countryside.

I hate to break the illusion for some of you, but 99% of christmas specials are filmed at some point between July and November, and that has always been the case since TV christmas specials were first a thing. The majority of the 1976 Morecambe & Wise christmas special, for example, was filmed at the tail end of that summer. Fans of Bargain Hunt will spot people still wearing shorts and t-shirts in most of those christmas specials.

As for Paul's intermittent absence - I believe the Only Fools live show started up again during filming.

I think they might have known that people would realise it wasn’t really filmed around Christmas and hoped that we’d suspend disbelief for half an hour in the interests of a bit of festive fun

Not unlike everyone celebrating the virgin birth of baby Jesus and Father Christmas coming down the chimney.

It’s one of the few programs that we all like in my house, and it’s about fishing! Bob’s the worst angler, but the best fisherman. I hope my kids get as much fun out of it as he does

I think I will move to the north-east of England. It looks much more verdant than the south-west of France. Leaves on the trees and short sleeved shirts being worn outdoors at Christmas. And they got off the steam train that was taking them up north and got straight into Bob's car. How did that get there?

The producer must think we are daft! I have enjoyed the previous episodes, but last night's was a total mess.
oh my god behave ? its a recorded TV show for gods sake ? not a blooming live broadcast ? LMAO or ANYTHING LIKE a Richard Attenborough show ?
its
2 blokes been good friends for over 30 years having both having suffered life changing health issues that HAVE BEEN EXPLAINED in detail in previous episodes!!!
having a great time show casing the UKs fantastic scenery even cooking is an education ! who ever thought Trapped potatoes were in fact tin spuds 😂

and IMHO the very best thing that was or will be on over the Christmas and New year TV simply brilliant

and did Bob really catch his Salmon in the very last min ? WHO CARES !! it made great TV watching either way !!!
it looks like you just dont get the point of the best ever show with a bit of fishing thrown in with the comedy

a bring a smile to your day show shame you cant see it

Last edited:
Does it really matter if some didn't like it? Does it really matter if some did like it?
Heavens, I've never seen grown men get so worked up about expressing an opinion about a television programme.
I'm going to watch my week's catch up of Eastenders cos that's just awesome television!

Back