• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Club Tickets.

Three for me, it was four last year but I dropped Lymm AC as I wasn't fishing their waters.

Best of luck with your interest in Ashfield,Jim.....as of today, their Waiting List is over 2,300 names now😲
Sadly, I am not too fussed about giving up their ticket, as over the past ten years there has been an explosion of newer members totally obsessed with bivvying up for days on end (with a club allowance of up to 96 hours in the one swim!!) so it'll be a relief to get on a river that, thankfully, doesn't get regularly hammered that much with few stretches condoning night fishing (similar to Newark Piscos)👍

Mostly Trent-based now:

Ashfield Angling (since 2004/5)
Newark Piscatorials
Notts Fed

Although, sadly, they will all be lapsing soon☹️ as the missus and I are in the throws of moving house (after 17 years here in Hinckley!) to Lancashire, in Huyton (for family reasons) during the next couple of weeks, and at 75 years of age (both of us) it will not be practical to undertake an average 125-mile (2.5-hour) each-way journey to continue to fish with my usual Trent day-trips (I don't do bivvies and overnights).🥱

On the plus side, however, after a bit of research, I plan to spend the next few seasons exploring totally new territory on the Ribble around the Preston area. I have also been in touch recently with a "local" BFW member who has loads of Ribble experience (and plenty of successes) who is going to provide his invaluable knowhow and to guide me on a brand new venue of a river that has a good head of barbel, but also has its own specific quirks and characteristics to get accustomed to! (Oh I do love a challenge!!)
And I hope he won't mind if I publicly acknowledge Gary Wagstaff for offering to impart his company and wealth of knowledge to this "Ribble virgin" when I eventually manage to get there👍👏

Naturally, I will still be logging-in as usual to keep up with the latest news, reviews and catch reports.

Roger

Best of luck with your move Roger, from a fellow Leicestershireian, if that's a word.

Mostly Trent-based now:

Ashfield Angling (since 2004/5)
Newark Piscatorials
Notts Fed

Although, sadly, they will all be lapsing soon☹️ as the missus and I are in the throws of moving house (after 17 years here in Hinckley!) to Lancashire, in Huyton (for family reasons) during the next couple of weeks, and at 75 years of age (both of us) it will not be practical to undertake an average 125-mile (2.5-hour) each-way journey to continue to fish with my usual Trent day-trips (I don't do bivvies and overnights).🥱

On the plus side, however, after a bit of research, I plan to spend the next few seasons exploring totally new territory on the Ribble around the Preston area. I have also been in touch recently with a "local" BFW member who has loads of Ribble experience (and plenty of successes) who is going to provide his invaluable knowhow and to guide me on a brand new venue of a river that has a good head of barbel, but also has its own specific quirks and characteristics to get accustomed to! (Oh I do love a challenge!!)
And I hope he won't mind if I publicly acknowledge Gary Wagstaff for offering to impart his company and wealth of knowledge to this "Ribble virgin" when I eventually manage to get there👍👏

Naturally, I will still be logging-in as usual to keep up with the latest news, reviews and catch reports.

Roger
Good luck on your new angling adventures.

Lots of other fishing to explore that way as well if other species float your boat. Some great tench fishing to be had in Cheshire. Thanks to the new bridge at Runcorn you can be in the heart of Cheshire in around 40 mins. Always happy to signpost if you need any info.

You'll only be 1.5 hrs away from the Dove and Upper Trent as well.

I thought I was being a little greedy with three tickets. Seems like I need to up my game a little.

I'm lucky in as much that the upper Trent and Derwent is 30 minutes away, the Dove, 50 minutes, and Newark is only an hour away. So decent ?? fishing, fairly local to me.

Four for me
Blunham AC. Rivers & Stillwater
Darlington AC. River & Stillwater
Midlands AC. River Trent
Offord & Buckden Angling Society. River & adjoins lake

Many thanks for input, Joe👍
I used try to get out during the closed season in pursuit of Tinca when I could access the right venues but, recently, they are few and far between here in Leics.
I might well take you up on your offer once I get settled!

Last edited:
Hi Simon. Many thanks for your comments.
I should really point out that, in truth, I am a Londoner born-and-bred (well, Cockney really "me old china") although having been here since 2003 (came to run a local tackle shop-'Gone Fishing') I have felt pretty much at home with so many E Midlands river to have access to!

7 For me but will be dropping Scunthorpe amal next season

Burton Mutual
Derby Railway
Scunthorpe Amal
Pride of Derby
Derbyshire County
Loughborough soar
Small private stretch of Soar

7 For me but will be dropping Scunthorpe amal next season

Burton Mutual
Derby Railway
Scunthorpe Amal
Pride of Derby
Derbyshire County
Loughborough soar
Small private stretch of Soar

What's the fishing like on the Soar, Stephen ?? I understand the river has been re-stocked with Barbel once again after the initial stocking a few years ago. I had a love-hate relationship with the Soar. I liked the Sutton, Normanton type of fishing, but never got on with the natural river. Match fishing, that is.

What's the fishing like on the Soar, Stephen ?? I understand the river has been re-stocked with Barbel once again after the initial stocking a few years ago. I had a love-hate relationship with the Soar. I liked the Sutton, Normanton type of fishing, but never got on with the natural river. Match fishing, that is.
The soar has had several re stocks of barbel over the past few years. I rarely if ever fish the Sutton and normanton stretches as I much prefer the natural river. I've not fished for barbel on the soar for at least 10 years although I have caught barbel whilst chub fishing biggest going 13lb 14oz which as it happens is my PB.
I am a bailiff on the river and do get to hear things but some times have to pick and choose what to believe . There is one area getting a lot of attention at the moment. I work 12 hour shift starting and finishing at 7am 7pm and recently there is almost always cars parked there. A lad has text me just now and told me there's no space to park there this morning so I'm off down to see if I can find out what's occurring. I can only think a barbel or two have been caught and the place is getting hammered.
may be more to report later.

Shame that you're having to give up Ashfield Angling but at least it means I'll be one place closer to getting a spot 😄

Currently just have the 2 memberships

Newark Piscatorial
Lincoln & District AA
Alright Jim what's the stretch of the TT like on the Lincoln book? . I had a walk down the other week and it looked quite promising but no one fishing.

Alright Jim what's the stretch of the TT like on the Lincoln book? . I had a walk down the other week and it looked quite promising but no one fishing.
Sorry Andrew, can't help you there as not actually fished Laughterton or Clifton, I generally stick to Winthorpe on the Newark Pisc book (I live in Winthorpe so it's dead handy for the Mrs to drop off whatever I've forgotten to take with me!!)
Walked Clifton a couple of times and it looks promising and as you say much quieter than further upstream so won't have been as pressured. Downside is the pegs do not appear to be maintained so it's a case of hacking your way through
I'll probably get a Scunthorpe membership shortly and that will give options from Besthorpe through to Laughterton so will have to broaden my horizons!

Back