• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

32" Landing Nets

Chris Belcher

Senior Member & Supporter
Not the pole but the mesh end specifically . . .

Have been using a Korum 26" folding spoon for most general coarse fishing and whilst fine for 3lb+ chub it did struggle with longer barbel (8lbs+) as well as being an annoying bannana shape that meant it couldn't be stowed in my rod sleeve pocket and had to be strapped to my rucksack.

On this basis I bought a Korum 30" folding triangle (on the advice of my local tackle shop) earlier in the season and this performed better (in terms of ergonomic length due to shape) but in reality its not actually much bigger or better. . . for bigger fish the mesh is not deep enough for secure retention and I don't like the spreader block either as you have to unscrew it to remove the mesh end (eg. when transferring fish to a mat)

DON'T want a fixed spoon irrespective of peoples preference / opinion! Would actually 'like' a mini (eg 32-34inch) carp net - must be triangular and with a fixed spreader block so I can push out the arms, roll up the fish for transfer and stow easily in my rod sleeve. If it has a deeper mesh it can also be left on the handle with a bankstick pushed through the spreader for retention / fish recovery etc.

Drennan used to do a 32 and 36 - is there anything out there still available . . .?

Have been using a Korum 26" folding spoon for most general coarse fishing and whilst fine for 3lb+ chub it did struggle with longer barbel (8lbs+) as well as being an annoying bannana shape that meant it couldn't be stowed in my rod sleeve pocket and had to be strapped to my rucksack.

On this basis I bought a Korum 30" folding triangle (on the advice of my local tackle shop) earlier in the season and this performed better (in terms of ergonomic length due to shape) but in reality its not actually much bigger or better. . . for bigger fish the mesh is not deep enough for secure retention and I don't like the spreader block either as you have to unscrew it to remove the mesh end (eg. when transferring fish to a mat)

DON'T want a fixed spoon irrespective of peoples preference / opinion! Would actually 'like' a mini (eg 32-34inch) carp net - must be triangular and with a fixed spreader block so I can push out the arms, roll up the fish for transfer and stow easily in my rod sleeve. If it has a deeper mesh it can also be left on the handle with a bankstick pushed through the spreader for retention / fish recovery etc.

Drennan used to do a 32 and 36 - is there anything out there still available . . .?
Chris,
Take a look at The Tackle Box Darent Valley nets. I’ve just bought a 42” with handle for the little bit of Carping I’m planning. Quite impressed with it and it’ll do a job. They also do a more expensive posh version with metal spreader (spreader on this one I’m recommending is glass reinforced plastic).They do a 32” frame and net which I’m going to get myself for Barbelling.
Comes with a stink bag as well.
Regards
Bill

I was surprised at their absence on the website when I looked for them recently. Despite not using them that much, I'm pleased that I bought both sizes when I could. I suppose that them being discontinued suggests that they didn't sell too well. I suspect that many anglers, especially barbel anglers, might be unimpressed by the lack of depth of the 32" net.

As for alternative of the type (spreader block and arms), I don't recall seeing too much over the years, especially not in 32". I know that Greys did a 36" Prodigy carp net 15 or so years back. I seem to recall the likes of Gardner and perhaps Korum/Avid offering smaller than the ubiquitous 42" in the past. Freespirit currently offer 36" arms and nets as part of their S Range nets. Nice to see that The Tackle Box is filling another little niche. They are getting pretty good at doing so.

It seems Korum 'used' to do a 32 - it transpires they do an xpert 34 but it looks OTT and expensive . . I've found an old Korum 32 on ebay and put in a silly low bid . . ! If I win and its pants nothing ventured etc.

Bill that Darenth Valley one looks perfect - never thought to look there - how deep is the mesh . . ? The 32 is only £22 so def worth a punt - thanks!

What do you guys use for bigger barbel or is the answer 'spoons' . .?

It seems Korum 'used' to do a 32 - it transpires they do an xpert 34 but it looks OTT and expensive . . I've found an old Korum 32 on ebay and put in a silly low bid . . ! If I win and its pants nothing ventured etc.

Bill that Darenth Valley one looks perfect - never thought to look there - how deep is the mesh . . ? The 32 is only £22 so def worth a punt - thanks!
Not bought the 32” yet so don’t know the depth but a phone call will,I’m sure, get you the info. They are a helpful bunch of lads. If you can wait I’m picking one up on Saturday and I’ll measure it for you.
Regards
Bill

Not bought the 32” yet so don’t know the depth but a phone call will,I’m sure, get you the info. They are a helpful bunch of lads. If you can wait I’m picking one up on Saturday and I’ll measure it for you.
Regards
Bill
Hi Bill - no worries I've just read through the details on your link - I quote "note that the 32ins has the deeper mesh"

Win win - looks perfect and thanks for the recommendation!

PS. Will give CB products a miss - much as its beautiful kit my lockdown spend has got a little out of hand recently so I'm on a budget . . .

Hi
Fox brought out a 32" barbel net about 15 years ago, the mesh size was too small, the spreader block plastic but the arms are proper strong, so with a replacement metal spreader block, and mesh, has served me well for a long time, had to replace mesh, a couple of times. Shakespeare 36" mesh correct size for rivers, good and very deep, korum 36" mesh is again correct size mesh, but not very deep esp. for resting/retaining fish, but better for roving.
The Drennan 36" mesh is spot on, but I would not pay that much as I only want the mesh!. Also as Bill said before out of stock! So can anybody recommend a 36" net/mesh with large mesh size and deep enough, but not too deep!
Thanks
Wayne

Then get a metal spreader.

Then get a metal spreader.
They are really decent nets but waaaaaay too shallow. Actually the spreader block is pretty bloody awesome. Very strong indeed
I had both the 32 and 36 and moved them on. Something like 600mm at the deepest which is rubbish.
my net now is a no name. Guy on eBay Ray something puts them together and coats them in (proper) rubber. £50 apiece mind but there’s nothing around remotely like them.
I’ve got the 36 for barbel which is 900 deep and the 42 for pike which is 1100 deep. The mesh holes are a nice 1/2 inch so great in heavy flow. Metal spreader that interchanges between the two nets.
Drennan or Korum have never bought a net out that touch these nets imo.
65EE4F9F-A79A-4E07-B623-97BC07DD88A8.jpeg
AC78E417-0BBC-4C6A-92C5-ACBEF7DE14A3.jpeg

Hi Chris. I personally think if you intend to put a double on the bank a 32 inch triangle is too small. Because the measurement taken is across the diagonal plane a 32 inch triangle is about as long as a 26 inch spoon. A 10-12lb barbel is 28-30 inches long easy.
Ideal barbel net sizes I would recommend would be either 36 triangle or 30 spoon. Both will be around the same length and have a similar useful area to scoop with.

30 spoon on top of 36 triangle
286451FE-C23A-4A5A-9F28-B1048B182A90.jpeg

Last edited:
At the start of the season just gone I bought a Diawa Mission 36" triangle net. Seems the perfect size, and deep enough to rest a barbel.
I always forget about Daiwa when it comes to these things but the mission stuff is proper bang on gear. I particularly like the way they did the spreader on that net.

It’s good that they’ve done it as a deep net. I think a lot of manufacturers see extra depth as a burden for anglers (getting caught, extra weight) and completely dismiss the fact that they might be used for summer barbel.
Those Drennan triangles were really good nets. So light and strong with half decent mesh and yet completely let down by the depth of them. Even the 36 wasn’t deep enough for my liking. Such a shame really. Another 200 deeper and they’d of probably sold enough of them to keep them going.

Good to see daiwa still have options. At that price as well you know it’s gonna be durable.

The Crabtree ( or spoon if you like ) nets I make from traditional materials usually have an open weave traditional Snowbee mesh, however some anglers do like to have more modern mesh fitted, this causes me real problems .
When I see modern nets advertised as referred to in this thread as having 32 inch arms ( or whatever) that tells me the arms are as stated in length, it does not however tell me the distance between the ends if the arms , it can vary a lot from frame to frame or manufacturer to manufacturer , dependent upon the angle of the spreader block.There can be quite a big difference.

A better method of measurement would imo be to give the curcumference of the top net “bag “ then if you already have a decent frame you could just measure the lenghts of the arms and top of the triangle to get the true size.
As it stands, when I get a commision for a net, I have to spend a lot of time at various tackle shops measuring the circumference of each net until I find one that fits my frame and the requirements of the customer.
Another thing that is a frustration is that when I find a particular net that ticks all the boxes , the dammed manufacturers change the spec and once again I end up doing tours of tackle shops either looking for old stock, or a new suitable replacement.
I had this problem with a very nice and very suitable Korum mesh, when I needed another identical Korum net for the mesh, the mesh was good but Korum had changed the sleeve to a stocking type material which was ugly in the extreme .
Nets can be a problem 🤬

David.

Hey Richard - great advice . . .good example, I found exactly this when comparing my 26" Spoon and 30" Triangle - nothing in it.

For decent fish then you are saying the general consensus is that 36 is the way to go . .? If so do like the look of your net - can you provide details of the guy selling / making them please? Rather spend £50 once than another £25 on a sh*te product . . .

Hey Richard - great advice . . .good example, I found exactly this when comparing my 26" Spoon and 30" Triangle - nothing in it.

For decent fish then you are saying the general consensus is that 36 is the way to go . .? If so do like the look of your net - can you provide details of the guy selling / making them please? Rather spend £50 once than another £25 on a sh*te product . . .
Absolutely Chris. If triangles are the way you want to go and double figure barbel are what you want to be recovering in there, then a 36 is definitely 100% the size for the job. That will give you a good 30inch on the length. Ref where I got mine I will send you a pm with the sellers name and you can message him. I don’t believe he has any on his listing at the moment but maybe he will sort one out for you.

Absolutely Chris. If triangles are the way you want to go and double figure barbel are what you want to be recovering in there, then a 36 is definitely 100% the size for the job. That will give you a good 30inch on the length. Ref where I got mine I will send you a pm with the sellers name and you can message him. I don’t believe he has any on his listing at the moment but maybe he will sort one out for you.
Cheers - top man!

Back