• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Obsessed

David Schofield

Do you think it’s an obsession I’ve got or a hobby 😂 I’ve got more rods and kit downstairs in the wet room
66A16DBB-9879-4E1B-A0A9-955F3E2F482E.jpeg
3BF4C3E0-95D5-4FFF-8ED9-46EF5458CBA2.jpeg

I am a bit embarrassed and obviously quite sad as that's only about 2/3rds of it and I've run out of space - it has got a bit out of hand but as I've said before, I don't really spend money on much else, and if I don't invest the ladies in my life have no reservations in spending it - there is little concept of saving in our house.
I thinks it's hereditary as I lost my dad a few weeks ago and we're sorting his stuff out and boy was he a collector, my brother is similar.
My missus is cool abut it as the assumption is that she will inherit it and I'm already schooling her that a Harrison is not the same as a Cadence ( as good as they are) when it comes to resale. That said I may as well have spoken to the dog.

Good point - I do need some new boots, they leak a bit.

I am a bit embarrassed and obviously quite sad as that's only about 2/3rds of it and I've run out of space - it has got a bit out of hand but as I've said before, I don't really spend money on much else, and if I don't invest the ladies in my life have no reservations in spending it - there is little concept of saving in our house.
I thinks it's hereditary as I lost my dad a few weeks ago and we're sorting his stuff out and boy was he a collector, my brother is similar.
My missus is cool abut it as the assumption is that she will inherit it and I'm already schooling her that a Harrison is not the same as a Cadence ( as good as they are) when it comes to resale. That said I may as well have spoken to the dog.

Good point - I do need some new boots, they leak a bit.
Sorry to hear about your dad Paul. My condolences go to you and yours, the problem I’ve got with all my gear is that if I go to meet my maker before my wife someone will be getting a very good deal if she sells it for what I told her it cost 😂

It’s a lovely collection Paul I just hope they are under top notch security laid out like that. Very easy pickings to the little scrotes that may be tempted to break in.
mine are held up a little more discreetly as in retained in their cloth bags and hidden well out of sight.
just be careful if you ever have anyone round buying a rod not to take them into that area of display.
my friend did this with some snap on tools he had someone round to buy a few bits and before the week was out the rest of them including the box had been nabbed.
fishing gear is definitely up there with the top 5 desires to a dirty thief.

I’d post some pictures of my one bedroom, first floor flat and its’ fishing kit contents but I’m too embarrassed by both the amount and the untidiness of it all. I’m really envious of people with tackle rooms/sheds/garages. It spawns another question too - just how many barbel rods do you need? In my case, the answer is always at least two more than I already have. Apparently.

I’d post some pictures of my one bedroom, first floor flat and its’ fishing kit contents but I’m too embarrassed by both the amount and the untidiness of it all. I’m really envious of people with tackle rooms/sheds/garages. It spawns another question too - just how many barbel rods do you need? In my case, the answer is always at least two more than I already have. Apparently.
It did get me thinking about them and why?? and roughly and in no particularly order the set-ups are
2 x Sea Boat
1 x Mackerel pier
1 x light pike lure
1 x medium pike lure
1 x jerkbait
2 x dropshot
1 x livebait freerover
2 x paternoster/ river
3 x distance dead bait
1 x pike drifter
2 x carp
1 x marker
1 x spod
1 x carp floater
1 x perch livebait
2 x Barbel - small river
2 x Barbel - big river/flood
1 x barbel - rolling
2 x chub tip rods
1 x waggler
1 x stick
1 x bolo
2 x bream/distance feeder

Then assorted spares/ commercial feeder rods, where I've upgraded and not sold on
So there is a kind of grab and go logic I picked up years ago when all I did was pike fish, had a young family and spare time was very scarce.I could literally grab a rod or two and be on the water within 5mins and maybe only fish for an hour or so but still do alright.Old habits die hard I guess.
Having a perch livebot rod is a bit of an indulgence but it's a beautiful 11' Chimera 1.25 - just too numb in the tip for fickle chub, and a bit undergunned for barbel in most swims i fish, so it's ended up as a perch /chubber rod and it's perfect.
Most of them will get an outing several times a year, obviously some more than others, so not just for vanity..honest.

It’s a lovely collection Paul I just hope they are under top notch security laid out like that. Very easy pickings to the little scrotes that may be tempted to break in.
mine are held up a little more discreetly as in retained in their cloth bags and hidden well out of sight.
just be careful if you ever have anyone round buying a rod not to take them into that area of display.
my friend did this with some snap on tools he had someone round to buy a few bits and before the week was out the rest of them including the box had been nabbed.
Wise words as ever. It is a concern and I have pretty good security
but this is a project for close season and a lot of decent stuff available now at sensible money.

Wise words as ever. It is a concern and I have pretty good security
but this is a project for close season and a lot of decent stuff available now at sensible money.
It looks really nice, you’ve done a great job and a lot of people like to display what their hard earned money has bought over the years.
im just saying keep it on the down low and out of sight to unknown visitors and keep it under hard security.
It’s much easier and far more tempting to the countries scum to take what’s hanging on the wall

Sad isn’t it but the DPD guy dropped a parcel down the drive a few weeks back, I wondered what caught his eye as I accepted the parcel. Later I realised the garage door was open, I was extra vigilant after that.

Back