• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New scales advice

Most of these scales seem to weigh in kilos, pounds/decimal or ounces. Important when you are fishing for crucians and it shows 4.8 ie not 4lbs 8ounces but 4lbs 13ounces and a new British record! Similarly a barbel of 21.2 would not be an equal record but a record in its own right! Is there a set of scales that shows pounds/ounces? or do you weigh in ounces and mentally convert to pounds ounces?
I can remember going fishing once and walked past a chap and asked him how he was getting on. He said Iv just had one that was 96oz. I walked away properly confused trying to work it out lol

I also have Reuben Heaton 9000 digitals and have been pretty happy with them with the exception that if they get a good soaking (being left out on the unhooking mat in heavy rain rather than full immersion in the river) I have found water can get inside and cause them to temporarily stop working. I assume that this must have been water in the battery compartment rather than in the main gubbings of the electrics ( you will be able to tell just how technical I am not!) because I know once you have had water inside electrics that is generally that.

I'm not one for testing particularly but I know a man who is very particular about his gear in our own Paul Whiteing and I am sure he will have tested his Reuben 9000s very thoroughly so I have not been overly worried about the accuracy of mine.

I wondered what it is about the RH9000's that is causing Gareth concern?

Reviewing some old posts I found these Brecknell (previously Salter) Electro Samson Digital scales highly recommended by Bob Gill back in 2002. At £59 These are £20 cheaper than when Bob recommended them almost 20 years ago

Any update Bob?

Last edited:
I also have Reuben Heaton 9000 digitals and have been pretty happy with them with the exception that if they get a good soaking (being left out on the unhooking mat in heavy rain rather than full immersion in the river) I have found water can get inside and cause them to temporarily stop working. I assume that this must have been water in the battery compartment rather than in the main gubbings of the electrics ( you will be able to tell just how technical I am not!) because I know once you have had water inside electrics that is generally that.

I'm not one for testing particularly but I know a man who is very particular about his gear in our own Paul Whiteing and I am sure he will have tested his Reuben 9000s very thoroughly so I have not been overly worried about the accuracy of mine.

I wondered what it is about the RH9000's that is causing Gareth concern?
I had the same problem as you with water getting in them 2 or 3 times now & they won’t Tare properly now so lost confidence in them.

Reviewing some old posts I found these Brecknell (previously Salter) Electro Samson Digital scales highly recommended by Bob Gill back in 2002. At £59 These are £20 cheaper than when Bob recommended them almost 20 years ago

Any update Bob?
Never had a problem with the Samsons and I still have them. They are very accurate and still find many non-fishing uses. The only 'downside' is that they are a bit heavy. Excellent scales.
When I go light I take another excellent set of scales which weigh up to 25lb. These are very light in weight and very accurate. Sadly they were replaced by a newer model which turned out not a patch on the 'older' version.

The original Electro Samson:
Scales.jpg
IMG_1013 crop 1 800.jpg

and the J-Scales (above)

I've tested quite a few other types by other manufacturers and nothing really comes close. Both the above weigh in both metric and pounds and ounces, have a hold, tare and back light.
Both sets of the above were checked throughout their range with marked known weights.
Cheers
Bob

I have done a very quick test of my Reuben Heatons before and after an hour in the freezer. They are accurate and the batteries are lasting really well. I tend not to leave them out in torrential rain any more.

I am happy with them but if /when they give up the ghost I will probably get the Samsons.

The Korums are excellent, and reliable (battery-life permitting) in all conditions. I've owned mine for about four years and not had to replace the battery so far. The pouch is a bit of a squeeze that gets easier with practice. No problems with durability.

Still have a good pair of Avons complete with original black case with press studs and fish motif , try and keep them out of the wet till needed !

Still have a good pair of Avons complete with original black case with press studs and fish motif , try and keep them out of the wet till needed !
Alex,
I’ve always kept both my Avon’s and latterly my Korums with a small bag of silica gel enclosed in the case. It can be dried out periodically and keeps condensation and wetness at bay. Probably why my Avon’s are older than some of our members 🤣

Hi, I bought some Korum scales last month (NOT the 'T Bar' ones). They appear extremely stable compared to previous scales that I've used, but I'm yet to use them actually on the banks (in a breeze, with a flapping fish). The neoprene case supplied with them is stupidly small so I've had to bin that immediately. But, suitably sized replacement cases are available on eBay. I bought them as all I'd heard about them was positive.
I thought the same thing about the case 😂

Thanks Bill, P1250348.JPGgood tip with the bag of silica, hope we are still allowed on the river bank to weigh something !

Hi everyone
For me the what’s best debate continues ie korum digital and my old Avon?
Father Xmas kindly left me a set of korum scales under the tree
Needless to I haven’t used them until on a recent trip with my son.
He landed a large chub👍 Out came the scales the fish was weighed let’s say it was a mid 7lb
For the sake of argument😉
Needless to say third parties questioned weight of said fish.
I was going to get said scale checked by weights and measures but they wanted £61 for the privilege 😮
So I decided to carry out my own tests (a layman’s tests)😂
Here’s my results (JUST FOR FUN OF COURSE)
The tests were carried out using salter kitchen scales and lead weighed out in the following weights
4lb2oz 5lb 7lb15oz😉 11lb3oz & 24lb2oz all the weights were cross weighed against each other using the the 3 sets of scales all sets zero out a total of 6 tests were made over two days
1st test carried out in my kitchen on the 9/3/21 at a room temperature of 18c 16:40pm
1) 4lb2oz
Avon’s 4lb1oz-4lb05oz-4lb05oz
Korum 4lb3oz-4lb4oz-4lb4oz
2)5lb
Avon’s 4lb14oz x 3 tests
Korum 5lb2oz x 3 tests
3) 7lb15oz
Avon’s 7lb13oz x 3 tests
Korum 7lb15oz-7lb15oz-7lb14oz
4) 11lb3oz
Avon’s 11lb x3 tests
Korum 11lb3oz x3 tests
Test 2 was carried out in my shed on the 10/3/21 at a temperature of 7c 10:00am
1) 4lb2oz
Avon’s 4lb3oz x 3 tests
Korum 4lb3oz-4lb4oz-4lb2oz
2) 5lb
Avon’s 4lb14oz x3 tests
Korum 5lb1oz x3 tests
3) 7lb15oz
Avon’s 7lb14oz x 3 tests
Korum 8lb1oz x 3 tests
4)11lb 3oz
Avon’s 11lb3oz x 3 tests
I carried out a further test at 24lb2oz on the 10/3/21 at 7c
Avon’s 24lb2oz x 3 tests
Korum 24lb0.5oz
Adding all the test weights over the 2 test periods the average weight was attained
1) 4lb2oz
Avon’s avg 4lb.03oz
Korum avg 4lb3oz
2) 5lb
Avon’s avg 4lb14oz
Korum avg 5lb1.5oz
3) 7lb15oz
Avon’s avg 7lb13.5oz
Korum avg 7lb6.2oz
4)11lb3oz
Avon’s avg 11lb1.5oz
Korum avg 11lb2.5oz
And the extra test at 24lb2oz
Avon’s avg 24lb2oz
Korum avg 24lb0.6oz
As I’ve said these are kitchen and garden tests using scrap lead 😂
My conclusion is take two sets of scales when planning a trip your gonna need a bigger bag 😂
Here to the next river season 🎣🎣🎣🤞

fish was weighed let’s say it was a mid 7lb
For the sake of argument😉
Needless to say third parties questioned weight of said fish.
That’s called jealousy mate.......take no notice cos they weren’t there. Happens often with lifetime fish, it’s happened to me before.
some anglers can’t be pleased for people so they pick at the photos making their own assumptions of the fish weight.
Korum scales have been sold by the thousands so I’m sure they are accurate enough to get you on the ounce.
7lb chub is an amazing achievement. I’ve had one myself actually fished for and it’s like all your Christmas and birthdays rolled into one. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

That’s called jealousy mate.......take no notice cos they weren’t there. Happens often with lifetime fish, it’s happened to me before.
some anglers can’t be pleased for people so they pick at the photos making their own assumptions of the fish weight.
Korum scales have been sold by the thousands so I’m sure they are accurate enough to get you on the ounce.
7lb chub is an amazing achievement. I’ve had one myself actually fished for and it’s like all your Christmas and birthdays rolled into one. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
your first line sums up the weighing and photography of fish Jealousy .you catch something special someone always questions the weight even if you not be been part of the weighing process of the fish

Bollocks to third parties Robert. If you say it’s 7lb + then it’s 7lb + for me. There’s always someone who will want to question it. People that fabricate weights are not kidding me...they are kidding themselves. Many moons ago when I called myself a Carp angler there was a very well known Carp man who claimed a lot of false weights (known fish with a history of weight) and his name was mud. No one believed a word when it came to his fish weights.
Interesting reading your scale comparisons, I did something similar a year or two back and my electronic scales were within a couple of ounces of my fifty year old Avon’s. Just proved my Old Chap right, he always taught me to look after tools and my Avon’s have always been kept in a protective case with a silica gel bag to take up moisture. My electronic scales are stored likewise.

Back