• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Ribble otter

I hadn't realised that otters picking up barbel baits was such a problem.
Something definitely worth avoiding for so many reasons.
It would be useful if anyone could identify what the circumstances were when this has happened previously e.g. after dark? coloured/clear water?
type of baits picked up? In deep/shallow/fast/slow swims etc.

What fish makes these marks?

29215F43-C87D-4145-9481-A72FC0B0039C.jpeg

A red herring, Edward? By that, I mean it could be almost anything, couldn't it (apart from a minnow, obviously)?
Is there some context to your picture and question, such as did you feel/see anything, etc, etc?

A red herring, Edward? By that, I mean it could be almost anything, couldn't it (apart from a minnow, obviously)?
Is there some context to your picture and question, such as did you feel/see anything, etc, etc?
Had lots of taps on the rod tip Richard. I have fished with cheese paste all season and this was the only time these marks appeared. How are they made? Apologies if the answer is obvious.

Chub have an incredible ability to pluck and eject baits without the slightest indication. I’ve watched them in summer on the D.Stour inhale a freelined block of meat, I’ve stuck and connected with absolutely nothing. It didn’t take me long to learn to just wait till the rod got pulled in.

Back