• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Chess raw sewer dumping

Think something went wrong with this post, it goes to Jack Hargreaves. No complaints here.
Not surprising it's happened. It's heartbreaking, cock up central there.
A great example of how to bring a river back from the dead and then destroy it in 10yrs or less. EA, you should hang your heads in shame.

Yes. Tried to delete it.

It wouldn't go to the report. Fact is for 5 days the river has had raw sewerage pumped into it.

If you were a member of the FB group it went to the link Graham, if not you could join to see it. Thames water dumped sewage over 70 days last year into the Chess at Chesham. The year before Maple Lodge the next STW downstream dumped more than Chesham. All covered up by the EA by manipulating figures to make it look better.

Thats awful for the Chess....Speaking of being in peoples pockets, that would be the same Thames water that sponsor the Angling trusts flagship Riverfest / Tidefest matches. I cant see how the Angling trust square that particular circle?

Thats awful for the Chess....Speaking of being in peoples pockets, that would be the same Thames water that sponsor the Angling trusts flagship Riverfest / Tidefest matches. I cant see how the Angling trust square that particular circle?

The only reason they need to seek sponsorship from anybody is because only a pathetically small percentage of anglers can be bothered to support them.

I'm sure the trustees of the AT, e.g. the people who put their necks on the line and underwrite the organisation which has running costs, must hold their nose at TW sponsorship, but they have to be pragmatic and live in the real world. And it is clearly demonstrable to anyone looking at the AT's record that the TW sponsorship hasn't impacted on their efforts to hold TW to account judging by the number of legal cases they have pursued against them.

Think something went wrong with this post, it goes to Jack Hargreaves. No complaints here.
Not surprising it's happened. It's heartbreaking, cock up central there.
A great example of how to bring a river back from the dead and then destroy it in 10yrs or less. EA, you should hang your heads in shame.
I should correct this. The EA didn't bring the river back from the dead, rather the improvements to Chesham sewage works started it off. The EA doing nothing at all for at least 10 yrs and nature did the rest. Hey presto, fantastic wild trout fishery.
Until a riverside property owner upstream complained his garden was getting damp.
Cue EA completely destroying the river by doing a 100% weed cut.

I should correct this. The EA didn't bring the river back from the dead, rather the improvements to Chesham sewage works started it off. The EA doing nothing at all for at least 10 yrs and nature did the rest. Hey presto, fantastic wild trout fishery.
Until a riverside property owner upstream complained his garden was getting damp.
Cue EA completely destroying the river by doing a 100% weed cut.
Paul.
The main problem is the selling of the water that comes from the chalk underground to a French owned company for bottling and selling in France.

The river was a fast flowing stream over gravel interspersed with streamer weed.

Changed to a slow moving river that would not disperse any contamination at speed.

For years Graham that was what everyone was being told and it may have been so in the past .But I did a fair bit of digging and managed to get the answer. Eden Spring take all the vast amounts of sweet chalk aquifer water from West Hyde they supply those big water coolers to offices all over the country. They also sell bottled water. All last year the water table and river levels around West London have been higher than they have been for years all Summer the rivers have all been up about 6 inches. I suspect its down to the lower demand with Covid ,workers furloughed and working form home. So Eden Spring have to take less. It turns out the water taken from the West Hyde aquifer is of the highest quality. Water that should be suppling the chalk streams in the area rather than rivers having to rely on sewage treatment work outputs

Attachments

• 20201009_223714.jpg
    20201009_223714.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Yes Mark. Nestle sold the business in 2014.

Wye.
I reported fish deaths to the EA in 2015. To be honest they were quick on the case and reported back to me the next day. ( I always ask for feedback)
In this case it was in a limited area and traced.

Cannot remember the outcome.

Last edited:
Back