• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lockdown returns...

I'm not sure how driving to the river and fishing all day on my own is dangerous. Especially when I go to work 5days a week and mix with folks from a wide area. My job can't be done at home BTW.

Think its more the fact that you are having to drive to get to the river and they dont want people driving unless essential.

Covid-19
Statement from the Angling Trust on the national lockdown rules
UPDATE – January 5, 2021

Whilst the regulations have not yet been published we have been informed this evening by the Cabinet Office that the Government have taken the decision that fishing in England will not be permitted during this national lockdown period. Whilst this is disappointing news I would ask anglers, fisheries and clubs to respect these rules and the reason they have been put in place; to help save lives and support the NHS.

Individuals should not go fishing from midnight tonight (5th January) and clubs and fisheries should close their waters to anglers. We will be publishing more detailed guidance on specific areas like bailiffing and fishery maintenance once the Government regulations have been published.

Over the past few weeks we have been in communication with the Government at the highest possible level. We have presented a strong case on how fishing could continue safely during the third national lockdown. We have explained that fishing benefits physical health and mental wellbeing and that it is regularly the only form of activity individuals undertake. You can read our representations to Cabinet Ministers here.

My team and I have consistently presented the arguments ahead of the changing government guidelines, which have allowed fishing to remain permitted continuously since the first national lockdown was lifted in May. We have been successful when other sports have not as all anglers will know.

However, with 60,000 new infections announced today, the Government have taken the decision that leaving home for recreation or leisure, including all forms of recreational fishing, should be prohibited in England during this third national lockdown period.

I thank you for your support and for being a credit to our sport. As members, you can rest assured that the Angling Trust will continue to represent our sport at the highest level and will present proposals for the resumption of angling when it is safe and sensible to do so. We will come through this period of national crisis. We will fish again, but until then, please, stay safe.

Jamie Cook
CEO, Angling Trust

Thanks Tom,

That clears it up.

I'm sure everyone on here will follow the rules, in the grand scheme of things it's not a great sacrifice to make is it? And there is light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccine etc.

My Uncle (RIP) died of the virus in late Sept. No family were allowed to see him in the hospital, so he spent he last two weeks of his life in the company of strangers (albeit fantastically caring ones). It was weeks of hell for my cousins and aunt and I wouldn't wish it on any family. I gather if it had happened this week, the same hospital (North Middlesex) then he would have seriosuly struggled to have found a bed such is the gravity of the current situation.

Anyway, it puts not being able to go fishing for a couple of months into perspective that's for sure.

Stay safe everyone.

I told you lot, NO POLITICS!
Do as you're told otherwise you're grounded!

Just had my dads funeral yesterday Sepsis and covid , no more fishing together, on the day when fishing is once again band , where i live anglers had been coming from all over the country to chase the humber cod ,that social media numpties had been plastering all over the place , its a bastard not being able to fish , but so is a pandemic ! Will be great to have to cut a swim out on the tidal trent in summer , instead of a worn bit of bank festooned in cheap lager cans .

Having bought some excellent maggots for grayling trotting I've now got over a pint left. Can I give them to the garden bird
Been looking forward to a bit of grayling fishing, perfect this weekend! :(
I bought a couple of pints of maggots (online) just for that! Maybe bird food or just tip the lot in off the bridge?

I know what you mean re the Humber Cod Alex, I keep a close ear to the ground with info from my local contacts over on the east coast, catch reports on the Holderness on media have been really bigging the place up this year, resulting in as you say , the beaches being rammed with travelling anglers according to reports.

I have been a regular winter cod angler from Stallingborough all the way up to Whitby for the last 40 years ,in fact I used to tow my caravan across and do a full week every year, I have seen the best years of it,and still get across from West Yorks as often as I can , but this year , I have managed just the one visit, my cod poles are as clean as the day I built them , and will stay that way until it is accepteable to travel to fish again.

David

I understand, but so disappointed I can't get out after a long lay off, looking at next weeks weather especially.

Just had my dads funeral yesterday Sepsis and covid , no more fishing together, on the day when fishing is once again band , where i live anglers had been coming from all over the country to chase the humber cod ,that social media numpties had been plastering all over the place , its a bastard not being able to fish , but so is a pandemic ! Will be great to have to cut a swim out on the tidal trent in summer , instead of a worn bit of bank festooned in cheap lager cans .
So sorry to hear this Alex, a stark reminder, take care .

It is the case with everything really, so distant are the issues to most, that until they actually affect you it's like 'wtf, I don't care!' Modern culture really!

Back