• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best Fluorocarbon loop knot ?

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
noticed some very negative comments about this type of line i can only think the problems are knot related ? as I have been using Fluorocarbon lines for donkeys with zero problems sooo

I have been using this loop knot for a few years now its IMO far and away the best loop knot you can use especially in Fluorocarbon just in case you havent seen it ? check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoqPo5UwlwY

I posted this knot for people that maybe having problems with Fluorocarbon line

I used to use the figure of 8 too !!

but then I found this knot to be a stronger knot when used with Fluorocarbon line

but use what your happy with
one interesting test when it was shown to me was tie a fig 8 loop one end Daves knot the other in a end of a length of Fluorocarbon line pull for a break

Am I right in thinking you shouldn't wet the knot when using flouro and not tighten too far up the line? Its always seemed to have made a difference when I've been tying hooks to hooklengths

Am I right in thinking you shouldn't wet the knot when using flouro and not tighten too far up the line? Its always seemed to have made a difference when I've been tying hooks to hooklengths

I always moisten my knots, be it with fluro or mono (no need with braid IMHO). Best advice when tying any knot, is take your time, carefully tighten and don't rush it.

I have been using this loop knot for a few years now its IMO far and away the best loop knot you can use especially in Fluorocarbon just in case you havent seen it ? check it out

I don't use fluoro but I watched the video simply out of interest.

But I have to say it was one of the least clear video instructions I've seen for tying a knot, why they kept changing camera angles I've no idea so to my mind it was naff.

In contrast the video posted by Julian was quite the opposite, easy to see and follow.

clickety-click for a great guide to knots, with no commentary or person needed, far better (to me) - unfortunately it doesn't include a knot with no name.

Hi men

I use the above perfection knot , but TBH lots of us use lines in far heavier bs than we used to , that are also a far better quality , so I think you can get away with most reliable knots .

Hatter

I don't use fluoro but I watched the video simply out of interest.

But I have to say it was one of the least clear video instructions I've seen for tying a knot, why they kept changing camera angles I've no idea so to my mind it was naff.

In contrast the video posted by Julian was quite the opposite, easy to see and follow.

clickety-click for a great guide to knots, with no commentary or person needed, far better (to me) - unfortunately it doesn't include a knot with no name.
well I understand its not so good camera work

but to my eyes it was easy to follow ?? at the end of the day its a simple overhand knot with 2 turns in it finished off with a locking hitch dead simple :oops:

I use the 3 turn Mahseer as a knot to attach a swivel etc in fluoro.

Thanks for posting that Gerry. I can’t say I’ve ever had an obvious problem with a figure of eight with fluorocarbon but I’ve now started using the ultimate loop knot, because it’s easier to control the loop size, given you can easily adjust it before locking. It looks neater too, as I could never get the turns in a figure of eight to reliably sit right in thin material in the way you can in rope - something I dimly remember as being important to the knot’s strength. That might be an eyesight issue though!

Back