• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Unhooking mat or not?

......... lets face it the main reason the mat is used is getting it ready for weighing and photographing.
No Neil, the main purpose is to protect the fish :)

I agree with unhooking in the net being the safest way to ensure no further harm happens to the fish. However, most of the swims I fish are either deep or have high banks so unhooking in the net is not an option. It’s about using the best and most fish friendly method for the situation you’re in.

Can I think of a single good reason not to use an unhooking mat? Other than when wading and being able to unhook the fish in the water, no not one. I would never go fishing without one.

PS...
  • 11ft or 12ft rods - both
  • Centrepin or fixed spool - both
  • Arsenal or Spuds - The latter. One of the best feeder clubs United have ever had.
  • Chairs with arms or not - not
  • To pre-bait or not - both
  • Barbed or barbless - both
  • Triangular or round - both

Forgot this!!!

• 11ft or 12ft rods - 10 and 12
  • Centrepin or fixed spool - centrepin
  • Arsenal or Spuds - pint of bothered please!!! ⚒
  • To pre-bait or not - not
  • Barbed or barbless - both
  • Triangular or round - triangular

• 11ft or 12ft rods - both
  • Centrepin or fixed spool - fixed
  • Arsenal or Spuds - Arsenal
  • To pre-bait or not - both
  • Barbed or barbless - barbed
  • Triangular or round - round

No Neil, the main purpose is to protect the fish :)
Protection only if you are lifting it out of the net, imo it is safer to unhook in the confines of the net where the fish cannot be dropped or slide around. The fish can be returned with no dramas or damage. As said the self takes are the reason(mostly) a net is employed in the first place, the welfare of the fish is of paramount importance, especially now, the images of captures holding the Barbel c/w with the 'Carp vacant stare' are evermore the fashion.

Protection only if you are lifting it out of the net, imo it is safer to unhook in the confines of the net where the fish cannot be dropped or slide around. The fish can be returned with no dramas or damage. As said the self takes are the reason(mostly) a net is employed in the first place, the welfare of the fish is of paramount importance, especially now, the images of captures holding the Barbel c/w with the 'Carp vacant stare' are evermore the fashion.
obviously your referring to cases where you can actually get to the net to unhook it.
A lot of fish I catch on the Nene need to leave the water and the poor net needs to go under some serious strain simply because it’s not possible or safe to get to them. High banks or large amounts of vegetation infront of the swim.
There’s nothing wrong with weighing and photographing captures if you’ve prepared everything Properly prior to lifting out the fish.

Takes less than 2 minutes for a clued up well organized angler to do both tasks and have it back resting up.

I don’t do self takes or fashion poses.
The latter simply because I’m useless at it. If no one is round to ensure a quick snap with my mug in it then its a mat shot if it justifies one.

the images of captures holding the Barbel c/w with the 'Carp vacant stare' are evermore the fashion.
😅😅😅😅😅😅
and staring at the fishes tail! What's that about!? 😂😂😂😂
[/QUOTE]
With you on that one . I have never understood why anglers adopt the baleful look towards the fishes tail area , 90% of em look as if they lost a tenner and found a quid , who started this trend ? Im am all for the big grin in to the camera approach . As for this thread ,nearly as dull as what bank stick ....

Protection only if you are lifting it out of the net, imo it is safer to unhook in the confines of the net where the fish cannot be dropped or slide around.

Net fish, place net and fish on mat, unhook fish, return fish still in net having made sure it's pointing so it's head would be upstream.

Obviously the main thing to come from Pauls posts is that gooners are rubbish barbel anglers and Tottenham Hotspur fans are the best barbel anglers 🤪

I always carry a mat, and use one when barbelling but Im guilty of not carrying one when chubbing. The one thing I would say is that I have never felt that a fish is being damaged when being unhooked on soft grass etc Never. The few occasions that I have landed barbel without un-hooking mats- again not felt that any damage has been done to the fish on soft grass, becuase it hasnt damaged them.

A 20lb carp slapping about on the ground is going to do alot more damage to itself than say a 3lb chub or even a 9lb barbel.

Its good practise to use a mat thats the main thing.

obviously your referring to cases where you can actually get to the net to unhook it.
A lot of fish I catch on the Nene need to leave the water and the poor net needs to go under some serious strain simply because it’s not possible or safe to get to them. High banks or large amounts of vegetation infront of the swim.
There’s nothing wrong with weighing and photographing captures if you’ve prepared everything Properly prior to lifting out the fish.

Takes less than 2 minutes for a clued up well organized angler to do both tasks and have it back resting up.
But two minutes out of the water is enough to turn a Barbel into a zombie state, and then becomes a 'mug' fish.:oops:

But two minutes out of the water is enough to turn a Barbel into a zombie state, and then becomes a 'mug' fish.:oops:
What’s the alternative in cases where you need to remove it due to bank conditions preventing you from unhooking in the water and upon removal you see it’s a 14lb fish in your net.
Sure you could slip it straight back but wouldn’t you personally want to weigh it and get a cheeky snap? I would personally but of course I’d do it quickly

Paul my dear friend. Have you been waiting for me?
If a woman asks you to use a c#####m, use one. If a law says do/ do not do something, you should probably follow it ( discretionary 😬), if it’s better for the planet to recycle and reduce your carbon footprint then please do. Drive electric, go vegan, don’t smoke, don’t drink alcohol, love thy neighbour ( but don’t get caught if you love his wife as well 😱). Do unto others as they do unto you.
If your conscience tells you to use an unhooking mat, please do so. If the situation demands it, please do, if it’s 50/50 whether you should, be safe and use one. If you are confident that the fish safety is paramount to you and you are completely happy that you are acting with empathy for the welfare of the fish in all situations, and are competent, continue and rest easy.
Competence. Is the unhooking mat secure? Not going to slide down a bank and deposit a fish that requires recovery, into the river in a dangerous state? Is the mat wet before the fish is laid on it? ( and before you all say yes obviously, is it?) and is it done by everyone every time? Is the mat sufficient to support the fish or is it the cheapest, most convenient Implement to conform? Ad infinitum. I love my fish ( more than I do most people 😳). I would never personally, or recommend to anyone, anything that endangers the health of such. I use what I need to, when I need to, and my conscience is clear. If, at any time I feel that I am lacking ( personally, not via social media criticism, diatribe from bandwagon or ill informed opinionists) then I shall change my methods instantly and with full vigour. Until such times trouble my conscience, I wish you all a lovely winters fishing, whatever ethical methods you may choose to employ. I hope to share your pictures of your lovely fish and give as many congratulatory messages as possible. And I hope there are many of them. Please, do as you must to satisfy your conscience. And above all, everyone ENJOY your fishing. Happy Christmas, and a happy, successful winters barbelling to all!! Ho ho ho!

Back