• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New river sewage petition

'Stop utility companies from being able to discharge foul water into the rivers, other than in the infrequent times of heavy rainstorms'

Is it not unreasonable, given the profits recorded by the water utility companies, to expect sufficient investment in suitable infrastructure to ensure that no foul water is discharged into surface waters full stop? Or perhaps only in very exceptional circumstances such 1 in 100 year flood events?

'Heavy rainstorms' are far from infrequent these days, and are set to become more frequent, particularly in the summer months as temperatures rise.

Divorcing ground water run off, from roads etc would be an massive improvement, freeing up capacity.
Certainly no new infrastructure projects should be built with the non waste water going to the sewage. I wonder how much/little of this consideration was put into HS2 for example.

Signing it effectively endorses the discharge of sewage into rivers ever time we have a heavy rainstorm. That's typically 15-20 days in a year.

Divorcing ground water run off, from roads etc would be an massive improvement, freeing up capacity.
Certainly no new infrastructure projects should be built with the non waste water going to the sewage. I wonder how much/little of this consideration was put into HS2 for example.

Good point. And lots of new housing developments seem to be going up without having SUDS as part of the design. In Scotland it is against the law for developers not to adopt SUDS within developments.

'Heavy rainstorms' are far from infrequent these days, and are set to become more frequent, particularly in the summer months as temperatures rise.
[/QUOTE]
I think we're on at least the third extremely dry summer on the trot, here in the east and central England.

I think we're on at least the third extremely dry summer on the trot, here in the east and central England.
[/QUOTE]

And the trend for drier summers in the east and south-east is forecast to increase, as is annual rainfall. The expectation is that the trend for fewer wet days will continue, e.g. when it rains, it pours! That's the issue. The Utility companies need to be investing in infrastructure can cope with these sudden intense rainfall events so they aren't having to discharge foul water into our rivers, they won't be able to argue they weren't warned.

And the trend for drier summers in the east and south-east is forecast to increase, as is annual rainfall. The expectation is that the trend for fewer wet days will continue, e.g. when it rains, it pours! That's the issue. The Utility companies need to be investing in infrastructure can cope with these sudden intense rainfall events so they aren't having to discharge foul water into our rivers, they won't be able to argue they weren't warned.
[/QUOTE]
They also need to build some bloody reservoirs.
Last winter's rain was the exception to the rule, relative to the historically recent winters. The winter of 18/19, here in the east we had approximately 3 days of rain, and the preceding and following summers it hardly rained at all. In fact the summer of 2018 it didn't rain at all.

Back