• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook choice

Owner c5,s for barbed
Gardner targets for barbless I always use a piece of shrink tube over the knot I like my rigs to be tidy it’s an OCD thing

I ordered the Bank Tackle hooks late Thursday evening and they arrived in the post Saturday morning. Obviously yet to test them but they look very good quality and are very sharp.

Also I use them for other odds and ends of terminal tackle and like it that you can order in the quantity that suits you and not be restricted to buying in pre-packs of ten items like the big brands. Every delivery comes with a voucher for a discount on the next purchase. If you like to avoid the "Carp Tax" look no further.

What Peter says.

Pallatrax the Hook. Size 8. Get these (from the BFW shop) and forget about hookpulls. Literally forget about them.

The late, great Tony Miles used these and he used to pride himself on never loosing fish to hook pulls.

Are you of the opinion, then, that ALL hook pulls are caused by the hook itself? I would have thought there are other factors in play - one being sheer bad luck that there might have been weed (or other debris) on the hook point.

I get maybe one hook-pull per season, and I select my hook (just by size, gape, and wire thickness alone), from a range of maybe a dozen different styles/brands...mostly to suit the bait (size) I'm using. I've bought these different styles out of curiosity I suppose, but the only difference of found in them is ... those lighter in the wire straighten more easily in snags, and some hold there point better. I don't have a problem with hooks so it's not something I really think about. To me, new hook styles catch me, not catch me more fish.

What Peter says.

Pallatrax the Hook. Size 8. Get these (from the BFW shop) and forget about hookpulls. Literally forget about them.

The late, great Tony Miles used these and he used to pride himself on never loosing fish to hook pulls.
You can lose fish on ALL hook patterns.
While I do believe some are better than others, Very rarely is it actually caused by the hook itself

What Peter says.

Definitely the most tenacious hooks I have used and are reserved for barbel. Continental boilie hooks for chub and Pallatrax Gripz for smaller fish.

Are you of the opinion, then, that ALL hook pulls are caused by the hook itself? I would have thought there are other factors in play - one being sheer bad luck that there might have been weed (or other debris) on the hook point.

Simple answer, yes, but of course, you are right mate, there are lots of factors involved in hookpulls but I would say the hook is the most significant variable.
Obviously there are other variables which would come into consideration. I presume people know how to play fish correctly- if someone is using a poker rod and is trying to get the fish out of the sea then hookpulls would be more common.

But whem someone starts a thread saying im loosing barbel i think it might be 'hook pattern X' what would you recommend instead? Then it would be a bit disingenuous of someone to suggest they didnt play the fish correctly, as opposed to suggesting a different hook (im not suggesting anyone who starts these threads cant play fish correctly).

When barbel fishing: bad luck aside, if someone has a powerful but soft rod, strong tackle and knows how to play them and is still getting constant hookpulls then the first thing to look at would naturally be the hook. Then maybe hair length (too long is a problem with barbel).

All I know is that Pallatrax users dont start 'Im suffering hookpull' threads 😁

Generally barbel only feed/bite in a certain way so its not like carp fishing where you need rigs with different mechanics for different situations. Once you've got your hook to hookbait/hair length ratio correct you are sorted, just need to find 'em.

ATB

I often glance over my hooks with a very fine diamond file when I retrieve.
Clamp them up with a pair of forceps and a few light strokes down the 3 sides will have them sharper than they were originally out the packet.
If the point is curled over then forget it, time to change.
I spent my apprenticeship days putting edges on drills, chisels, punches etc and After the first 500 I could pull a perfect 135° angle on a 3mm hand sharpened drill bit.
My bank sharpened hooks are boarding on offensive weapons they are that sharp when they are done.

Simple answer, yes, but of course, you are right mate, there are lots of factors involved in hookpulls but I would say the hook is the most significant variable.
Obviously there are other variables which would come into consideration. I presume people know how to play fish correctly- if someone is using a poker rod and is trying to get the fish out of the sea then hookpulls would be more common.

But whem someone starts a thread saying im loosing barbel i think it might be 'hook pattern X' what would you recommend instead? Then it would be a bit disingenuous of someone to suggest they didnt play the fish correctly, as opposed to suggesting a different hook (im not suggesting anyone who starts these threads cant play fish correctly).

When barbel fishing: bad luck aside, if someone has a powerful but soft rod, strong tackle and knows how to play them and is still getting constant hookpulls then the first thing to look at would naturally be the

When barbel fishing: bad luck aside, if someone has a powerful but soft rod, strong tackle and knows how to play them and is still getting constant hookpulls then the first thing to look at would naturally be the hook. Then maybe hair length (too long is a problem with barbel).

All I know is that Pallatrax users dont start 'Im suffering hookpull' threads 😁

Generally barbel only feed/bite in a certain way so its not like carp fishing where you need rigs with different mechanics for different situations. Once you've got your hook to hookbait/hair length ratio correct you are sorted, just need to find 'em.

ATB
Ash your clearly someone with alot of time on there hands 😂

Another vote for Pallatrax and Bank Tackle.

I tend to buy "used" job lots from eBay, so a lot of hooks for your money even if a few are duff (although more often than not most of them are unused) and I've tried most of them.

More generally, and straying a little bit off topic, I have noticed a HUGE turn in tide over the last couple of years when it comes to the consensus about Nash products. Loads of carp anglers are ditching them in favour of other companies and there's been a lot of negativity about them on various forums. I've also seen it noted by eagle eyed followers that Carl and Alex - who were sponsored by them and eventually worked for them - completely ditched all Nash products when they quit, and they (Nash) now seem to be the punchline to a lot of jokes about poor and unreliable tackle. Never having used any Nash product (at least as far as I can recall), I don't know how true all that is in reality, but when you see a lot of people saying the same things you have to wonder.

Almost completely off topic, Kevin Nash seems to be the go-to expert whenever there's a national news item about water quality.

Back