• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Torrid Time

I say this about everything in fishing. Confidence is king........
find something that works and works well then stick with it. If it’s fish safe and strong enough to comfortably cover your fishing conditions then there is no right or wrong. You’ll get the comment “my rig is better than yours blah blah blah” but it’s usually total nonsense. Same with hooks, bait, line etc etc etc. -try, fish, catch, stick.

Last edited:
Can't believe the amount of anglers that use 12lb line then complain about getting broke, get some big game 15lb on,and give yourself a chance, fish are looking at the presentation of the bait not the line, i remember a few yrs ago talking to a new member on the bank(dove),he was used to fishing the goyt, i said to him the best info i would tell anyone fishing for barbel,dont go undergunned, he said i'm fishing 12lb off the reel,15lb hooklink, i said you won't stop some of the fish in here, and this bit is genuine, while talking to him one of his rods went round, it took about 10 to 15 seconds and he was smahed to bits, i said ,told you, and then then just said that could well have been a pb gone, he looked distraught, and said to me i think i'd better up my gear, never did see him down there after,,,,
Regards
Couldn’t agree more.
I wouldn’t entertain a session for barbel on anything lighter than 15lb main in a decent diameter.
The bs is one thing but a lot of people think it’s a good thing to step down on diameter too which as we know has a negative effect on abrasion. The Nene is quite similar to the dove in regards to the size of fish around and you don’t want to be losing many as they don’t come round that often.

Green Frank.

If I had one complaint its fairly springy, but that probably adds to the breaking strain.

I found the GR60 even more so

Last edited:
Just had a look at some line ratings.

The Gardner line 12lb tested broke at between14 and 17lb.

So I could tow you in you in Jim😁

That well may be graham, but you aint stopping the big girls on the dove with it,,,
Regards

Forgot to mention to ian, pike are fairly regular to pellet and boilies on the dove, i've also had perch to pellet, would be interesting to see if others have had similar on other rivers,,,
Regards

Jim I have seen a number of pike caught on pellet, mostly hooked under the chin outside the mouth. After watching a hair rigged pellet in shallow water getting attacked by minnows a pike appeared about a foot below the pellet. It just sat there waiting for them to return. I suspect this is how they often get hooked on pellet.

Couldn’t agree more.
I wouldn’t entertain a session for barbel on anything lighter than 15lb main in a decent diameter.
The bs is one thing but a lot of people think it’s a good thing to step down on diameter too which as we know has a negative effect on abrasion. The Nene is quite similar to the dove in regards to the size of fish around and you don’t want to be losing many as they don’t come round that often.
Same here Richard. 15 lb mono mainline all the way for me. With heavy feeders being used on the 'big river', with even 7-8 lbers pulling your string, rocks all around, it makes sense to go that bit heavier with added abrasion resistance and give.

What does 12lb or 15lb line actually mean? It's just a claim by the manufacturers and is often as misleading as test curves, and should only be taken as a loose guide.

I've always found the Tackle Box line tests a useful guide, and based on their tests you can see the variance across a handful of makes:

12lb GR60 clear: tested diameter = 0.34mm, tested breaking strain = 17.8lb.
12lb Big Game: tested diameter = 0.34mm, tested breaking strain = 15.8lb.
12lb Pro-Clear: tested diameter = 0.29, tested breaking strain = 14.5lb
12lb Nash Bullet Green: tested diameter = 0.33, tested breaking strain = 13.5lb
12lb ESP Crystal: tested diameter = 0.32, tested breaking strain = 13.4lb

And there are plenty of '15lb lines' which aren't as strong as some brands of '12lb line', for instance:

15lb Diawa sensor: tested diameter = 0.36mm, tested breaking strain = 17.6lb.
15lb Krystonite: tested diameter = 0.35mm, tested breaking strain = 16.12lb.
15lb ESP Crystal: tested diameter = 0.36, tested breaking strain = 15lb

For the Trent I've always had complete confidence in either 16lb Pro-Clear (diameter = 0.34, tested breaking strain =19.8lb) or 12lb GR60 clear. Smaller rivers then 14lb Pro-Clear (0.32, 16.3lb).

What does 12lb or 15lb line actually mean? It's just a claim by the manufacturers and is often as misleading as test curves, and should only be taken as a loose guide.

I've always found the Tackle Box line tests a useful guide, and based on their tests you can see the variance across a handful of makes:

And there are plenty of '15lb lines' which aren't as strong as some brands of '12lb line', for instance:

For the Trent I've always had complete confidence in either 16lb Pro-Clear (diameter = 0.34, tested breaking strain =19.8lb) or 12lb GR60 clear. Smaller rivers then 14lb Pro-Clear (0.32, 16.3lb).

Exactly Joe.

In the Warks Avon I use 10lb Adrenna line.
I like its dark lght brown fleck on sometimes clearish gravel / silt bottom.

I've seen the Tackle Shop line tests Joe and they make interesting reading. I use the Korum 15 lb mono in green. I don't know what it actually breaks at, nor the diameter off the top of my head, but it hasn't let me down once in using it for big pike (30lb plus) and big barbel (16 lb plus) in the last 6 years. It's not that expensive either for a bulk spool.

I've seen the Tackle Shop line tests Joe and they make interesting reading. I use the Korum 15 lb mono in green. I don't know what it actually breaks at, nor the diameter off the top of my head, but it hasn't let me down once in using it for big pike (30lb plus) and big barbel (16 lb plus) in the last 6 years. It's not that expensive either for a bulk spool.

My perception of the 12lb Korum barbel line was that it seemed thinner than the stated diameter? But I haven't seen it tested. I used the 10lb line on my spomb rod with a shockleader for one season and it seemed to cope with the rigours of spombing ok. It casts well that's for sure.

Interesting reading there joe.
I’ve always gone by what’s written on the spool and stuck with what’s worked in the past. I used GR60 for years and it’s been brilliant line. I found it wasn’t quite as supple as I wanted and swapped it with fox Exocet green in 16lb a good while ago. Now I look at that chart the line I’ve swapped to has a lower breaking strain yet I’ve more confidence in it than ever with a nice string of double figure fish on a small snaggy very weedy river. I’ll be sticking with It as I have full confidence in it but it’s interesting to know that I’ve actually swapped to a weaker line on paper.

I switched from GR60 green to clear to take advantage of the Higher breaking strain.
Thinking about giving the GT80+ Clear a go.

I see so many diameters stated on spools and rarely are they accurate when you put a micrometer to them . Breaking strains and thick lines mean not a lot when ripped against a brick or branch if their abrasion resistance is poor. I remember seeing an abrasion test done on a large number of lines the test involved a heavy weight and a piece of sandpaper the line was drawn backwards and forwards across the sandpaper under tension of the weight. The winner was Ghost line ,I seem to remember it did something like 3x more than the next best line tested. What I will say is I learned by my mistakes back in the day and I learned quickly. I use Korda subline in 15lb or 12lb and like the way it is on the spool. I tend to use back leads so a heavy line means not a lot to the fish. There should be no excuse these days for straightened hooks and broken lines and leaving tackle in fish, the information is out there

The Korum abrasion resistance is good whilst using it in a boulder/rocky environment. The knot stength also seems good using a 4-5 turn grinner knot. I haven't empirically tested the abrasion resistance or knot strength (as per Tackle Box tests), but in about 6 years of use, the brand hasn't let me down. I now use Ko it in lesser 'breaking strains' for Tench (in weedy environs), again, without it letting me down

Back