• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Wye, Creel Stretch Wye and Usk Foundation.

Lee Williams

Have been invited there next Tuesday for a day, any info ? Is it any good, do the fish run big or is it shoals of splashers, any known favoured swims tactics and bait.

The Creel is a lovely stretch, one of my favourite Wye and Usk beats. Swims straight down from church car park are quite popular, then best to head downstream - church pool & island are good but quite tricky high banks then it tends to straighten out with slightly deeper water all the way down to the bottom. Barbel of varying sizes throughout. As always, depends upon conditions on the day. Good chance of a few if you follow Neil's advice !

Is it all negotiable with a barrow, carrying my carryall, chair, rod sling, bait bag full of bait, drinks and lunch is far too much to be carrying these days, what's the longest walk

Bumpy track down the hill but you may be able to barrow it. Always done well from first couple of pegs. It's a beautiful spot.

Lee have a great session a little envious. I was due for a 4 day trip starting this Friday! Could of gone now in hindsight that said my fishing buddy now has a significant issue at home so couldn't of gone so probably for the better. Let us know how you get on catch me one. I don't know that stretch but sounds promising

Be careful of the banks, especially if it's wet. I would be looking for the fast water, just below shallow section. Use heavy tackle, 10lb + line, usual pellets/meat, etc... lovely place to spend the day. Worth trying trotting if you can find a nearside steady run, I had a nice 8lb barbel at the back end of the season.

Well... I got stitched up on the pegs, the 3 lads I went with colonised the pegs in front of the church, catching odd medium sized barbel and chub, leaving me with with a walk.. I walked downstream and found a swim first peg into the downstream meadow I virtually had to abseil into but with a good surface area to fish comfortably. 3 hours on feeder with boilie on one rod on pellet, not a bite. Gave it the Bomber Harris, 20 balls of GB as I thought it bring a fish in from downstream, within 5 mins of balling it, a 4lb chub, then 2 about 2lb, then one bigger than the first but wouldn't have gone 5. A bizarre change of tactics that saved the day somewhat. No Barbel but 4 scale perfect chub.

Unluck Lee that fast water opposite the island is a decent spot on the float.

Back