• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

In line or Running Lead?

Must have missed something here,'inline or running',should this be fixed or running ?.Surely an inline can be fished both fixed and running,as can any lead system.
Not quite Rob but I know where you're coming from. I always fix a float stop above my lead to make it semi fixed to aid hooking. If I'm fishing for cagey fish in really clear water an in line pear lead is a must with a short tail. You haven't got that 'flex' as you have with a normal lead/swivel. As soon as the fish picks up the bait the weight of the lead is instantly pulling that hook. Hope you can understand that. .......

Not quite Rob but I know where you're coming from. I always fix a float stop above my lead to make it semi fixed to aid hooking. If I'm fishing for cagey fish in really clear water an in line pear lead is a must with a short tail. You haven't got that 'flex' as you have with a normal lead/swivel. As soon as the fish picks up the bait the weight of the lead is instantly pulling that hook. Hope you can understand that. .......
It’s an interesting take that John and makes mechanical sense. How do you find this effects the Chub, I’ve noticed that I catch less of them and simply get plucks with shorter hook lengths. Obviously this can be a positive.

It’s an interesting take that John and makes mechanical sense. How do you find this effects the Chub, I’ve noticed that I catch less of them and simply get plucks with shorter hook lengths. Obviously this can be a positive.
1593874658106782034294.jpg

I always have these above the feeder swivel:

I only started using them as when I first started out and was doing underarm lobs, you could see the feeder come back up the mainline. I didn't like that, so started using the stops above them. I always find it interesting to see how far it's come back up the line after a rip roaring barbel take! 😅

I always have these above the feeder swivel:

I only started using them as when I first started out and was doing underarm lobs, you could see the feeder come back up the mainline. I didn't like that, so started using the stops above them. I always find it interesting to see how far it's come back up the line after a rip roaring barbel take! 😅
Rob, which size of stop do you use and with what diameter line ? I use a similar system and like to make sure the stop is not too tight on the line.
Thanks
Mike.

Rob, which size of stop do you use and with what diameter line ? I use a similar system and like to make sure the stop is not too tight on the line.
Thanks
Mike.

Not sure I've ever selected a size of stop Mike, think they come as they are! I use 20lb power pro braid as mainline which I think is 0.15mm. The stops grip the braid surprisingly well given the thin diameter, but they move freely enough that they'd come off should something bad happen :)

In respect to the inline leads, does anyone make interchangeable one? I like to be able to chop and change. All I seem to be able to find is the type that fall off when you catch a fish, that’s not what I’d like.

Back