• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

In line or Running Lead?

Keith Humphreys

Senior Member & Supporter
OK guys, I know that this has probably been done before but I had such a 'Grueller' last season that I am hoping to turn things around by making a few changes.

I normally use a running lead rig with a PVA mesh bag attached to the lead.

I have heard so many conflicting views on end tackle that I thought I would get some feedback from the 'Exulted' BFW pros ;)

I must first point out that I mainly fish the Hants Avon and Dorset Stour so feeder rigs and extra long hook lengths are not appropriate for the conditions I normally fish.

So the question is do you use an Inline or Running lead rig? If In line please advise on the best setup to incorporate a PVA mesh bag?

Any pics or tips would be much appreciated 😁

I was going to add more to the original post but got distracted. I’d like to qualify this with saying I’m far from an expert on Barbel, I’m not one of the local “pros”.

What I’m getting at is, that the rivers your fishing (the same as me) aren’t prolific. There are a few in our area that catch Barbel regularly, the majority of these guys though are time bandits. Three of them that are well known, and this is no slight on them fish a good working week, every week. I recall one telling me he “only fished 2/3 time’s a week”, I drove past the fishery everyday for two weeks for work and his vehicle was there almost every time, at various time’s of the day/evening. I don’t know what your doing but I’m damn sure that “ringing the changes” will simply land you in a cycle of chasing your tail trying to fool a take from a fish that simply isn’t there. If you start thinking about fish per hours rather than by month etc you may find you feel better.

I fish generally one official session a week of about 4/5 hours, sometimes il get in a second. Then because I work odd hours, I often start work at 4am I will be walking the bank after work at least once a week and I may fish a hour or two if I fancy my chances. Last year I had one in June, one in July and one in September. That September fish curbed my enthusiasm (and if I’am honest with myself I was shattered, burning the candle at both ends) and then the weather changed as you know and I packed my Avon rod away. Currently I’m on 2 blanks for 2 on the Avon and a Chub to my name for the stour, ironically I’ve found less time to fish or spend on the bank on Furlough than normal.

I was going to add more to the original post but got distracted. I’d like to qualify this with saying I’m far from an expert on Barbel, I’m not one of the local “pros”.

What I’m getting at is, that the rivers your fishing (the same as me) aren’t prolific. There are a few in our area that catch Barbel regularly, the majority of these guys though are time bandits. Three of them that are well known, and this is no slight on them fish a good working week, every week. I recall one telling me he “only fished 2/3 time’s a week”, I drove past the fishery everyday for two weeks for work and his vehicle was there almost every time, at various time’s of the day/evening. I don’t know what your doing but I’m damn sure that “ringing the changes” will simply land you in a cycle of chasing your tail trying to fool a take from a fish that simply isn’t there. If you start thinking about fish per hours rather than by month etc you may find you feel better.

I fish generally one official session a week of about 4/5 hours, sometimes il get in a second. Then because I work odd hours, I often start work at 4am I will be walking the bank after work at least once a week and I may fish a hour or two if I fancy my chances. Last year I had one in June, one in July and one in September. That September fish curbed my enthusiasm (and if I’am honest with myself I was shattered, burning the candle at both ends) and then the weather changed as you know and I packed my Avon rod away. Currently I’m on 2 blanks for 2 on the Avon and a Chub to my name for the stour, ironically I’ve found less time to fish or spend on the bank on Furlough than normal.
very well said :) i have been doing the same recently as i`m fishing a hard stretch of water with only a hand full of fish in it and started to doubt my rigs and the way i do things when the real answer is the fish are not there.
Andy

Not a single Barbel caught on my own waters Stephen AKA GRULLER😏
I had one the year before, lost another which was a good fish in crystal clear conditions. The year before that, I had Zero myself, I didn’t even see one. I was chasing my tail, looking for something different and never actually finding anything. Have you seen any Barbel this year? Or last?

Hi Stephen

We have met before, with Dave Taylor, Graham Elliot et al on one of Graham’s little organised fishins on the Wye.

I have been fishing the Stour and Hants Avon for about 25 years and know the Local ’experts‘ very well and am also well aware of both their skill level and ‘time on bank‘ but just felt that last season was much harder than previous ones😬

I also know that some of the Avon ‘pro’s’ use inline lead rigs with a back lead so thought I might give it a try for a change.

So, that said any advice, tips, rig diagrams or photos gratefully accepted😉

I had one the year before, lost another which was a good fish in crystal clear conditions. The year before that, I had Zero myself, I didn’t even see one. I was chasing my tail, looking for something different and never actually finding anything. Have you seen any Barbel this year? Or last?
The odd one, but since not having access to Somerley estate anymore (not good enough to be a syndicate member😉) and not wanting to join the Bt 2 rat race I tend not to see many Barbel so often fish where I know they normally are (plus advice from bailiffs) Not ideal but like you I am constrained by work😬

I think you will find that some of the 'pros' that you refer to and that I know fish every day are still fishless after more than 2 weeks of the season gone. When these 'pros' find some willing fish they will pound them until they have caught them several times then become 'pros'
The Avon has been very slow this season especially and I only know of a handful of fish that have been caught from the stretch you mention. This tells me that the guys that fish every day still haven't managed to locate any fish that are willing to feed. The Avon has been fairly difficult for any visual fishing which I rely upon. The first week was too colored and for the last week the wind has made spotting difficult.
Keith, in my opinion every swim needs to be fished differently. In low clear water where fish are obvious and wary a short tail with inline lead and backlead is essential where the swim allows you to fish this way. In weedy tight holes a backlead is not possible therefore keep a short tail and keep the rod low or buried under the surface. If you are fishing out across the river with weed on the inside then quite often I will use a longer tail with a conventional gripper lead and try to keep the rod fairly low which may require an extra ounce.
I only ever use an inline lead when I an fishing close in for wary fish in very clear water where I have watched barbel eject a bait with a longer tail.
Location is the biggest factor on the Avon and after that time......
Watching cagey barbel feed and avoid being caught is the best lesson I have ever had. We are privileged to live in a part of the country where this is possible.
I hope you have a better season this year.
ATB
John

I think you will find that some of the 'pros' that you refer to and that I know fish every day are still fishless after more than 2 weeks of the season gone. When these 'pros' find some willing fish they will pound them until they have caught them several times then become 'pros'
The Avon has been very slow this season especially and I only know of a handful of fish that have been caught from the stretch you mention. This tells me that the guys that fish every day still haven't managed to locate any fish that are willing to feed. The Avon has been fairly difficult for any visual fishing which I rely upon. The first week was too colored and for the last week the wind has made spotting difficult.
Keith, in my opinion every swim needs to be fished differently. In low clear water where fish are obvious and wary a short tail with inline lead and backlead is essential where the swim allows you to fish this way. In weedy tight holes a backlead is not possible therefore keep a short tail and keep the rod low or buried under the surface. If you are fishing out across the river with weed on the inside then quite often I will use a longer tail with a conventional gripper lead and try to keep the rod fairly low which may require an extra ounce.
I only ever use an inline lead when I an fishing close in for wary fish in very clear water where I have watched barbel eject a bait with a longer tail.
Location is the biggest factor on the Avon and after that time......
Watching cagey barbel feed and avoid being caught is the best lesson I have ever had. We are privileged to live in a part of the country where this is possible.
I hope you have a better season this year.
ATB
John
Hi John

Thank you for your insight👍there are many down here that think they are ‘pro’s But few who I would consider to be so, you are one of the few😉
many thanks👍

That's kind of you Keith but this pro is struggling on the barbel front but like most normal guys has to balance the fishing with a 40+ hour week job :rolleyes:
I have only spotted one barbel that was ravenous to feed whilst out walking before a night shift. On my return 4 days later she was gone and by looking at the swim had possibly been caught. Its early days yet and I'm enjoying some very nice chub up to 6.9. I shall be out the weekend sometime. Hope to see you in September at Grahams.....?
ATB

since not having access to Somerley estate anymore (not good enough to be a syndicate member😉)

Keith,

Don‘t know how I got in then!!

But seriously, I’m on two blanks so far this season as well. The river has changed significantly this year after those long high flow winter floods and I think it is just a case of keep plugging away and check that your favourite swims from previous seasons are still good spots. There are undoubtedly new swims out there waiting to be found and if you fish well (my main problem!!), with a good bait and presentation, then the results will come. Barbel can be seen as mug fish sometimes but most are certainly not and it is up to the angler to outwit them, if he is to secure the rewards.

Dave

That's kind of you Keith but this pro is struggling on the barbel front but like most normal guys has to balance the fishing with a 40+ hour week job :rolleyes:
I have only spotted one barbel that was ravenous to feed whilst out walking before a night shift. On my return 4 days later she was gone and by looking at the swim had possibly been caught. Its early days yet and I'm enjoying some very nice chub up to 6.9. I shall be out the weekend sometime. Hope to see you in September at Grahams.....?
ATB
Yes mate, not like you to chase the easy fish of the Wye though😉
Not sure what I’m doing about accommodation yet, or indeed who is going to run my shop😬
Be nice to catch up though👍
Tight lines John, you have already made me feel better😬 (thought I had become a noddy again🤪)

Yes mate, not like you to chase the easy fish of the Wye though😉
Not sure what I’m doing about accommodation yet, or indeed who is going to run my shop😬
Be nice to catch up though👍
Tight lines John, you have already made me feel better😬 (thought I had become a noddy again🤪)
Haha....
Keith, I'm not sure what the evening plans are for the Saturday, hopefully a pub in Ross. The premier Inn is a good option and is only £38 for a twin room atm
I am waiting on some guidance from Graham.

Must have missed something here,'inline or running',should this be fixed or running ?.Surely an inline can be fished both fixed and running,as can any lead system.

Last edited:
Indian grub Sat evening as normal.
Pub Fri night for early arrivals.
Breakfast for those that want Sat Sun Chez Elliott's.
The Wye isn't exactly giving up it's barbel so far this season.

Keith. The only suggestion I can give you is....
Get out the waggle rod, 6 pints casters and hemp and enjoy the wonderful chub your rivers have to offer.
You might even hook a barbel.

Failing that. Put a tracker on McGoughs car.😂

Back