• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel on centrepin what LB line

So it's best to ignore the stated breaking strains and just go with the stated diameter then.

I've been using the 0.36 and 0.41 for pike, not changed the line for a good few seasons, but I does seem like it can develop a slight oval shape with use - so that might explain the readings on your verniers?
No idea what conclusions to draw :(. The readings on my vernier were on new line straight from the box.

But another "problem" is whether the line is the same, or fake, or that they've just changed the livery.

This (below) is my box, which looks quite different to the box shown on Dave Lumb's website (I am not inferring that Dave's is wrong in any way, am just pointing it out)

20200618_111646.jpg

I've been using 80 lb green power pro for 15 plus years on my jerk bait rod. My latest spooling I cannot remember exactly how long I'd had it multiplier spoiled for. Many years. It's just about checking for wear. It does fade but you can reverse the line from inside to outside to give extra use time. I know this will be controversial, but I can't think of many advantages that braid will have over mono for barbel fishing.

I know this will be controversial, but I can't think of many advantages that braid will have over mono for barbel fishing.
Not controversial, just another viewpoint Ady :)

There's a huge advantage if using braid on a centrepin if you cast "off the side", either as I do OR if you use a Rolling Pin. Line twists, although physics will say different, are just not evident with braid.

Having changed years ago (basically following advice after long discussions with Ray Walton) I just like the no-stretch of braid and all of the implications of that. Also that braid does not deteriorate as mono did (for me), so aside from financial benefits it gave me more confidence that line would not break with that fish of a lifetime pulling back :)

Indeed Paul, you are no doubt correct in the context of the thread title of using braid with a centre-pin. I don't have the experience of using braid on a pin and can only comment on use with fixed spools and multipliers.☺️

Also, when playing a good barbel with braid and a 'pin, one just feels more in control - but I guess that comes down to whether you like 'pins, or not. The stretch in mono makes the tussle a little bit ambiguous, for me, but with braid it's more direct contact. I guess we all have our ideal setup, with a 'pin and braid being mine.

I've had some super 8 slick on one of my pins for five seasons, and it's still going strong. The colour has lightened slightly (I use timber brown), but it's not a problem. I use 30lb bs, which has the same diameter as 8lb mono. It's also very robust. You need a soft-actioned rod or strong hooks (preferably both) tp prevent hook pulls.

I usually source from here but they're currently out of stock of the 30lb.
Do you know of any stockists ?

I use Berkley Whiplash for beach fishing in 60lb. Amazing line. Very low diameter, smooth and it lasts very well.
Never used it for barbel and don't intend to. I like a bit of stretch in my line with these incredibly powerful fish.

Whilst we are talking line...I have just re-spooled one of my reels with Berkley Trilene Maxxx ,and it casts like a dream and at 10.b.s it's only .20mm diam. Very very supple, just wondered if anyone has used this stuff in anger?
Has to be a downside (apart from being a tad expensive).

Whilst we are talking line...I have just re-spooled one of my reels with Berkley Trilene Maxxx ,and it casts like a dream and at 10.b.s it's only .20mm diam. Very very supple, just wondered if anyone has used this stuff in anger?
Has to be a downside (apart from being a tad expensive).
Hi Neil, I started using Trilene many years ago (I think it was Trilene XL?) for chubbing small rivers. It was more expensive than my regular line (Platil) but it was low diameter and limp. But I binned the lot of it after a few months as it had very little 'shock resistance' ...that is, several times it snapped between ledger and rod tip on the strike.
I think a "downside" of many low diameter but limp lines is that they're 'pre-stretched' ...so they end up having no 'shock resistance'.

Hi Neil, I started using Trilene many years ago (I think it was Trilene XL?) for chubbing small rivers. It was more expensive than my regular line (Platil) but it was low diameter and limp. But I binned the lot of it after a few months as it had very little 'shock resistance' ...that is, several times it snapped between ledger and rod tip on the strike.
I think a "downside" of many low diameter but limp lines is that they're 'pre-stretched' ...so they end up having no 'shock resistance'.
Yes I thought that with it being pre stretched there was possibly a downside. I will stick with the Maxxx until I get any problems. The Maxxx seems to be popular with American lure anglers, I suppose for it's casting ease above anything else .

I use Trilene XL for my barbel fishing and for fly leaders. In my opinion it is a great line. Limp, lower diameter than many, knots well and it is durable.

I use Trilene XL for my barbel fishing and for fly leaders. In my opinion it is a great line. Limp, lower diameter than many, knots well and it is durable.
As a barbel mainline @Ian Lovett ? Maybe I had a bad batch (this was over 30 years ago), maybe it's now to an improved (compromise) formula, maybe my rod was too 'tippy' (brown fibre-glass Hardy Avon), or maybe I was just too heavy handed. Dunno, but when you lose confidence in a line it's hard to get that confidence back.

Back