• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chasing tench since lockdown.

Chris Jones

Since the 13th of May I've been out most afternoons/evenings fishing a fair sized, deep, gravel pit. The stock level, of all types of fish, is pretty low. However, there are some good carp, bream and tench for the part of the world it's in. So far I've had seventeen tench and only a couple of blanks. As yet, I've not picked up a single fish of another species, which is a little surprising when I'm fishing maggots! The smallest tench has been 3.5lb and the biggest 6lb 6oz, which is my first over 6, a new PB and the best I've had from the venue. Now I'm aiming for a 7lber, but It might be a long wait. If I can pick up one of the double figure bream along the way, I'll be happy enough, but I doubt that my preferred float fishing methods will cut the mustard.

414430777.jpg

414430778.jpg

414430779.jpg

They are my target species on the same water this year Chris, float and inline maggot feeder being my proposed lines of attack.

See you there soon 👍

They are my target species on the same water this year Chris, float and inline maggot feeder being my proposed lines of attack.

See you there soon 👍

Every one has been on float fished maggots. See you soon, Monday is looking good. I've done far better on the warmer sunny days.

Some lovely shots their tench this time of year just look great i have just smashed my pb this year was 6lb 14 now confirmed 8lb 1oz a diffrent fish to the one in my last post

I'm also fishing a pit for the tench Chris. A couple of sessions since lock down. View attachment 10888Smallest 4lb plus to 6.02 lb. Haven't blanked yet. Just great fun and good scrappers. Not big by national standards but OK for Yorkshire. Lovely looking fish from the pits.

I'm in a similar (North) Yorkshire boat. There was a time that I doubted I'd ever see a 5lb+ tench in my neck of the woods. I've had eighteen tench in the last week or so. The smallest at 3lb 8oz and the biggest a 6lb 6oz. At least six have been over 5lb 8oz and all on the float. I'm really enjoying myself.

I'm in a similar (North) Yorkshire boat. There was a time that I doubted I'd ever see a 5lb+ tench in my neck of the woods. I've had eighteen tench in the last week or so. The smallest at 3lb 8oz and the biggest a 6lb 6oz. At least six have been over 5lb 8oz and all on the float. I'm really enjoying myself.
The biggest I've had from this pit was 6.15 lb last May. Lovely extreme black colouration or the green strain in the photo. It's an interesting water. Mature with 5 Leney strain carp in it. Believed to have come from Redmire in the 70's.

So far I've had them to 6.12, but have had some cracking males to just over 5lb who have, as usual fought hard. Looking forward to getting out tomorrow.

Attachments

• 5.4 male.jpg
    5.4 male.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 5lb male.jpg
    5lb male.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 6.12.jpg
    6.12.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG-20200427-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20200427-WA0012.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG-20200427-WA0029.jpg
    IMG-20200427-WA0029.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG-20200427-WA0031.jpg
    IMG-20200427-WA0031.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 309
Another four to 5lb 6oz this evening. Still enjoying it but, if it keeps this form up, I might have a few decisions to make come the 16th of June.

Nice one Lee.
Out this morning, another Yorkshire water. Just one bite, but a hard fighting 5lb 14oz, in beautiful condition.

Back