• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

NGT

Acquired several NGT Two Rod Padded Holdalls at The Big One a couple of years ago for a bargain price. Use them for storing all my rods when not in regular use, excellent. I also have several zip top pouches of various sizes for leads/feeders and various combinations of tackle bits & bobs and pre-tied rigs. All used and abused for several seasons and still doing the job very well.

I’m not much of an alarm user at all. Mine haven’t been switched on for years but I still don’t think I’d go NGT for something like that where I’m depending on them 100% to feedback a run. It’s place for me is less critical items of tackle like the pouches and rod bands etc.

Sounds about right. I only really bought them for a couple of overnight tench sessions a few years ago, I didn’t expect much from them at that price.

No harm in trying them out I suppose. So long as they don’t cost you a potential catch then no harm done.
I can’t even remember how to use mine.
Good job they stay paired up with the remote cos I’d never know how you go about that again.
I haven’t been able to night fish for years but with the Trent crying out this season that will change and give myself an alarm refresh course 😂 if I feel the need to use them. Can’t beat watching a rod top mind so chances are I won’t bother with em even then.

Yeah it’s not really my bag either.
I obviously own a pair and I’ve used them in the past on long night sessions back in the day. They relieve a bit of concentration pressure on long bait and wait sessions so I do get it and have nothing against them.

No way would I ever use them as an excuse to fish and sleep mind. No alarm in the world would pull me out of dream land when I start sending them home😂😂😂.
I will probably put them on the rests when I start doing overnighters this season as an option but more than likely I’ll be staring at my lovely shrunk rapped isotopes which is far more enjoyable. 😊

I think every Angler that fishes loves to watch a rod tip or feel the bite on your finger as do I
but I now always use a bite alarm as there are times when I take a pee or make a cuppa or lots of other times where Im not staring at a rod tip that I could miss a bite or even lose a rod
but I do know there are people that dont like them in the very early 60s I was fishing for carp at Cutmill pond Farnham I had just bought my first bite alarm a Heron and was happily fishing my free lined spud when the guy the other side of the pond cycled round on his ladies bike with a wicker basket on the front he was a big bearded guy with thick glasses and started ranting and shouting your using an electric bite alarm that cheating thats not fishing thats not angling ?
I thought he was a raving idiot lol then time went on and we found other baits hempseed if you boiled it until it split was a great bait and carp attract or so again down at Cutmill pond on the road bank I was throwing hempseed under the bush that I could cast to when another raving idiot had a go at me your using a drug !!!!!!!!! your drugging the fish ? thats not angling thats cheating !! why even fishing clubs banned it for a while

I thought times had moved on from those days where people had those kind of opinions if there is any skill in catching a fish surely its knowing where to put the bait , how to present the bait to fool the fish and if its a rod tip bending of a float dipping or an alarm beeping to alert you to a bite is no skill involved and does not make you a better or worse angler maybe you feel more excited with one or the other though lol I have owned and used and made most alarms on the market and to me there is nothing that excites me more than the warble of a Delkim alarm hope we all hmanage a great season this year folks main thing is we love what we do

I think every Angler that fishes loves to watch a rod tip or feel the bite on your finger as do I
but I now always use a bite alarm as there are times when I take a pee or make a cuppa or lots of other times where Im not staring at a rod tip that I could miss a bite or even lose a rod
but I do know there are people that dont like them in the very early 60s I was fishing for carp at Cutmill pond Farnham I had just bought my first bite alarm a Heron and was happily fishing my free lined spud when the guy the other side of the pond cycled round on his ladies bike with a wicker basket on the front he was a big bearded guy with thick glasses and started ranting and shouting your using an electric bite alarm that cheating thats not fishing thats not angling ?
I thought he was a raving idiot lol then time went on and we found other baits hempseed if you boiled it until it split was a great bait and carp attract or so again down at Cutmill pond on the road bank I was throwing hempseed under the bush that I could cast to when another raving idiot had a go at me your using a drug !!!!!!!!! your drugging the fish ? thats not angling thats cheating !! why even fishing clubs banned it for a while

I thought times had moved on from those days where people had those kind of opinions if there is any skill in catching a fish surely its knowing where to put the bait , how to present the bait to fool the fish and if its a rod tip bending of a float dipping or an alarm beeping to alert you to a bite is no skill involved and does not make you a better or worse angler maybe you feel more excited with one or the other though lol I have owned and used and made most alarms on the market and to me there is nothing that excites me more than the warble of a Delkim alarm hope we all hmanage a great season this year folks main thing is we love what we do
I certainly don’t believe alarm users are not anglers Gerry. I understand the advantages they bring and absolutely get it.
In certain situations they make perfect sense I’m just never in those situations myself hence I never use them.
I think they should put a ban on alarms without receivers. There’s no need for the head to be bleeping and everyone else to hear it.
Mine are a pair of delks I was told by someone I Really respect many many years ago If I was to use any they would be the ones worth bothering with. If I don’t use them this season On the Trent Overnight sessions then I’ll Definitely consider selling them.

I certainly don’t believe alarm users are not anglers Gerry. I understand the advantages they bring and absolutely get it.
In certain situations they make perfect sense I’m just never in those situations myself hence I never use them.
I think they should put a ban on alarms without receivers. There’s no need for the head to be bleeping and everyone else to hear it.
Mine are a pair of delks I was told by someone I Really respect many many years ago If I was to use any they would be the ones worth bothering with. If I don’t use them this season On the Trent Overnight sessions then I’ll Definitely consider selling them.

Thats something I agree with I always use my alarms with a receiver it goes way back when you didnt want anyone to know when you caught a fish I turn the heads off or barely loud enough for only me to hear

Being 100% honest we’ve got to admit whether we like carp fishing or not, barbel fishing has evolved from methods traditionally used to catch carp.
Braid and Fluro hooklinks, hair rigs, lead clips, baitrunners etc etc they all started in the carp world.
Yes a lot of stuff people do and have is way too carpy for my personal style but I’ll never knock anyone for their methods of catching unless it poses potential harm to the fish or is dam right annoying like alarm heads going off.

Being 100% honest we’ve got to admit whether we like carp fishing or not, barbel fishing has evolved from methods traditionally used to catch carp.
Braid and Fluro hooklinks, hair rigs, lead clips, baitrunners etc etc they all started in the carp world.
Yes a lot of stuff people do and have is way too carpy for my personal style but I’ll never knock anyone for their methods of catching unless it poses potential harm to the fish or is dam right annoying like alarm heads going off.

Depends what a person likes Richard, I dont use hair rigs, or braid, nor boilies, or alarms etc ,I dont use Carbon, dont use baitrunners . Dont use Bolt rigs . In fact you could confuse me for somebody from the 1930’s , but I still catch probably as many as anybody else on the day, not that that bothers me any more .

Except when conditions dictate , then I will use my floodwater duos, my Shimmy baitrunners, etc, but that happens so very little that I have been thinking about selling off all my carbon etc.

As I get older I am finding that I get as much / more pleasure sitting behind a bean cane and pin , or vintage Mitchell , as I ever did sitting waiting for the three foot twitch on my matched carbon rods and baitrunner reels .

David

I only use my baitrunners if i need a jimmy, to roll a fag, or to do anything when I cant look at the tips of my rods, I find the bait runner is constantly ticking. Then il tighten it up and it doesn't tick and is then more prone for the rods to be pulled out of the rests. But I'm getting a tripod so hopefully that would eradicate the problem of my rods being pulled in. I do use braid, hair rigs, I dont do boilies i can honestly say I have never caught a barbel on a boilie also my leads or feeders are all free running with a buffer bead. No need for semi bolt rigs or lead clips with tail rubbers and all the snag safe lead ejection systems🤔
Not much carp tax used in my setups. I keep it really simple and it is effective.

I use alarms on the Trent sitting up all night then a 2 hour drive home would be like playing Russian roulette ....as for rigs and baits I’ll use whatever the conditions dictate....there is a time and a place for everything even bait boats the exception being when anglers abuse the use of technology like putting baits into spots with a bait boat where they haven’t a hope in hell of getting a fish out of........I’m with you Richard on the receivers hearing buzzers go off night and day is quite alarming....( I’ll get me coat )......

Back