• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Polarized glasses

Best I’ve had Maui Jim....... worst fortis ( might as well put gaffer tape over my eyes)

Im suprised at this as my Fortis overwraps are the best polarised glasses I have ever had.

I have the ones that go over my normal glasses, amber lenses and they are excellent.

On my 3rd season with them and they still work despite the constant cleaning etc

Cannot get my head around people saying Polarized glasses dont work and arent needed? Absolute tosh, they are invaluable the more you wear them the more you realise how invaluable they are.

Im pretty sure Kingfishers have evolved to have Polarized vision, which says it all really.

:)
I bought these “very special” sunglasses over 20 years ago. Polarised lenses, UVA & UVB protection. They were in a special promotion at McDonalds....yes!

No good to me Bill, I've never had a McDonalds in my life

Cannot get my head around people saying Polarized glasses dont work and arent needed? Absolute tosh, they are invaluable the more you wear them the more you realise how invaluable they are.
I don't say they aren't needed Ash, I just said when I tested in my garden I didnt find much difference looking at my pond.

I may be 70+ but I don't even take glasses fishing with me, I'm lucky. My distance vision is ok, and although I have reading glasses at home I don't need them on the bank.

And thinking of prescription sunglasses is not really relevant.

With lockdown it'll all have to wait anyway.

Im suprised at this as my Fortis overwraps are the best polarised glasses I have ever had.

I have the ones that go over my normal glasses, amber lenses and they are excellent.

On my 3rd season with them and they still work despite the constant cleaning etc

Im pretty sure Kingfishers have evolved to have Polarized vision, which says it all really.
Like many of my age😱, I’m a prescription glasses wearer and cheap off the shelf Polaroid’s are not an option. Currently each change of prescription see’s me relieved of £250 plus for a new pair of fishing sunnies. On recommendation, I invested in a pair of Cocoon Aviator overfit glasses which are worn in conjunction with your normal prescription pair. I have an amber lensed pair and I’m impressed with them. They hang around your neck on the supplied lanyard when not needed. I brought mine back from the States, but they are available here. Not cheap at around £65, but provided you don’t sit on them 😢, you should only buy them once.

I don't say they aren't needed Ash, I just said when I tested in my garden I didnt find much difference looking at my pond.

I may be 70+ but I don't even take glasses fishing with me, I'm lucky. My distance vision is ok, and although I have reading glasses at home I don't need them on the bank.

And thinking of prescription sunglasses is not really relevant.

With lockdown it'll all have to wait anyway.
They ain’t a set of super eyes That instantly give you the ability to see through water and perhaps your pond is one exception where the conditions maybe don’t show them in their best light. They don’t make dark and murky water less dark and murky.
However the lenses cut out a lot of glare and reflections on the water. That’s all they do so your eyes don’t naturally focus on the reflections they focus past it.
They make for a more comfortable viewing experience because trying to focus past glare can be quite strenuous on your eyes. Take a pair down the river and without them on focus on the bottom where it’s possible to see.
Then put them on and focus on the same area and you’ll see things in much better detail

Like many of my age😱, I’m a prescription glasses wearer and cheap off the shelf Polaroid’s are not an option. Currently each change of prescription see’s me relieved of £250 plus for a new pair of fishing sunnies. On recommendation, I invested in a pair of Cocoon Aviator overfit glasses which are worn in conjunction with your normal prescription pair. I have an amber lensed pair and I’m impressed with them. They hang around your neck on the supplied lanyard when not needed. I brought mine back from the States, but they are available here. Not cheap at around £65, but provided you don’t sit on them 😢, you should only buy them once.
Hi I also have Cocoons which I think are excellent. I once stood on a bridge fish spotting and you could clearly see every thing, my mate had optics, so I swapped and I was struggling to see the fish in them!
£45 from Sportfish

The older fox varios were a good set (discontinued now)
You got 3 sets of lenses depending on lighting conditions to swap about so you were always well covered with one pair.
I had a set years ago I think I’ve still got the spare lenses somewhere. More than likely I probably broke the frames.
Would definitely still be using them now as were great set and very good lenses.
Dunno what fox are like now. Probably loaded with carp tax like a lot of it.

its been a while guys....

Graham said my name had been mentioned on here, so I thought I'd stop by;
As an Optician who has the choice of pretty any polarised lens available, I still gravitate towards the Maui JIms - they are still the best in my opinion.

I previously stated that I am happy to do Maui Jims for cost price + Vat for BFW members, the offer still stands.

Hi I also have Cocoons which I think are excellent. I once stood on a bridge fish spotting and you could clearly see every thing, my mate had optics, so I swapped and I was struggling to see the fish in them!
£45 from Sportfish
take it your talking about these ?

As an Optician who has the choice of pretty any polarised lens available, I still gravitate towards the Maui JIms - they are still the best in my opinion.

I previously stated that I am happy to do Maui Jims for cost price + Vat for BFW members, the offer still stands.

Hi Chris,

This is an excellent offer. Do you do prescription lenses at all?

It has Chris.. hope you are well.

Back