• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle that has gone up in value

Not so much tackle but books. Many years ago stumbled on a fishing section in a 'bargain books' shop. 'Book of the Perch' by the Perchfishers and 'Chub' by the Chub Study Group were £5.00 each. They had boxes of them and I only bought one copy! 😣. Bought a copy of 'Somewhere Down the Crazy River' from Jeremy Wade for peanuts before the price went astronomical. When I was a kid I swapped some old terminal tackle I had lying around for a 1st edition of 'Confessions of a Carp Fisher' by BB. Still on the shelf 50 years on.

Steve

Not trying to be fatalistic at all but.....

I have listed all my decent tackle with approximate value of items.

Just in case.🙄

Wouldn't want all my "self treats" to go to waste by my non fishing family. Seen it happen.

I'm just glad that when that day happens, I won't be around when my Mrs discovers the true value of all my fishing tackle...

I bought a very similar one but with the double leg guides for £23 off eBay a couple of years ago,I think the bidding was low because it was pick up only,luckily for me it was only about 8 miles from where I live !! Bought a Shimano 4000 super aero gtm off the same seller for £17,great combination for the tench.I was chuffed at the time,even more so now !!!

That tench float was in fantastic condition but still, that’s twice what I’d have expected it to go for. It’s not a rare rod - all the models used to come up on eBay fairly regularly and it’s a very good rod, but other models are better imo and there are better rods around now

I was tracking this as I have the same model and condition, apart from mine has a Korum reel screw fitting added professionally . Crazy money, almost apprehensive about using this now.:rolleyes:
You only need two bidders to fight over it & it goes crazy which I think has happened here!

From what I've seen on eBay in the last week or so, I won't be basing any estimate of worth on current prices. There have been quite a few 90s era rods that have gone for double (and more) the pre-lockdown prices. However, If I had any late 80s/early 90s rods to sell, I think I'd be chancing my arm now before the lockdown ends.

Bob, that rod finished at 255 + post seller must be well happy with that...
Wow, that's more than I would have expected. Gave £30 for one and up to £110 for any of my 10.
Most in fine to mint condition.
There's a Shimano Purist Tench Float on ebay at the moment and although these are quite rare it so far has not had a bid. In the past these have gone for quite a bit.
Cheers
Bob

Forgot about the purist rods.
Not particularly old either yet some of it was really sought after.
Purist dead bait pike rods were always quite known for a few heavy bids at auction.
They were a Mick Brown favorite back in his Shimano days making them very popular

Aren't the shimano aerocast rods with the oval blanks sought after?
I remember a few people had bought them when they were new but it didn’t take off like a lot of the more popular ones they did.
It’s not something any other manufacturers have pushed so I’d say there isn’t a big deal to be had from ovel blanks.

I remember a few people had bought them when they were new but it didn’t take off like a lot of the more popular ones they did.
It’s not something any other manufacturers have pushed so I’d say there isn’t a big deal to be had from ovel blanks.

I own several Aerocasts, float rods, feeder rods and carp rods. I really wish they'd made an Aerocast Barbel rod. I think that the biggest problem they had was that people screamed "gimmick" without even bothering to pick them up. Unfortunately, if they did pick them up, the excess weight, over an average round blank, was (understandably) likely to put many off. The fact that many match and general coarse anglers were openly slating Shimano, for almost everything they did at the time, really didn't help. I think that the oval blank had merit, at least for some applications. If they could have found a way of trimming some of the excess flab, it may have had greater appeal.

Back