• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spopper wanted

I’ve got a question regarding these things
Why is the pin first bent at 180° before it is then bent at 2 90° angles to go through the hole.
Why wouldn’t it just take the 2 90° bends and go through the hole?
Unless there is something I’m missing here that just seems a very unnecessary way of doing things and acting in a negative rather than a positive.
It’s taking up volume inside for a start
It also could potentially with a very full device prevent opening if the bait was to be jammed in front of it.
And it’s another bend in the pin that I honestly can’t see is needed. Any reason behind it that I’ve missed??

Why is the pin first bent at 180° before it is then bent at 2 90° angles to go through the hole.
Unless there is something I’m missing here that just seems a very unnecessary way of doing things and acting in a negative rather than a positive.
It also could potentially with a very full device prevent opening if the bait was to be jammed in front of it.
And it’s another bend in the pin that I honestly can’t see is needed. Any reason behind it that I’ve missed??
If you end up modding one Richard I'll have one.

You could try asking the question on here .... https://www.facebook.com/groups/448405226009391/

I dont know either, think when they were first done, everybody followed. I upped the diameter of the wire and just put in 2 x 90s.

Attachments

• 20200430_125430.jpg
    20200430_125430.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 246
I dont know either, think when they were first done, everybody followed. I upped the diameter of the wire and just put in 2 x 90s.
Great minds think alike.
I was thinking of doing exactly the same but was just unsure as to whether I was missing something crucial
Cheers 👍🏻

Another thing I’ve noticed about this one I’ve bought is it has a number of 4mm holes drilled into the body.
Granted it needs the holes to let water in but not much good with a hand full of lively maggots or hemp/particle baits that can fit through them. Surely twice as many 2mm holes would allow the water in and make it more useful for smaller baits to be used. You can then take your time with the cast and not worry about your maggots climbing back out as it’s held hanging behind you.

The one I bought initially which I would say is a midi one (its 50mm across the widest part) has a bunch of 2.5mm holes drilled in it. The ones I got from Geek are 60mm across the widest part so suspect they are the big ones.

To make my mould I used polymorph to take an impression of the inside of the front of the spod which when set allowed me to make a high temperature mould to make my lead weight, however, when the lead had cooled I weighed it and it was 9.8oz, this, plus the stainless steel rod took it to 10oz without the weight of the spod or the bait. This I thought was going to be too heavy so am experimenting with trying to get to a weight size I think would be best (circa 4oz) which when used with a full spod would not be too heavy.

I am aiming at making a lead that only partially fills the front section of the spod and using some stainless steel self tappers to hold it in the correct place. Self Tappers and Tungsten rod on order.

Another thing.
It was mentioned that these things can hold half a pint
No dispute there but unless your using a wet bait that can stick together and hold its form in a mound you ain’t getting half a pint in it. Best I can do with dry pellet is 2/3 full and that’s with a bit of a steady hand to keep it all from falling out while closing. You need a way to top them up once closed or what’s the point of the capacity
I’ve put an access hole in the back of this one which I can close off with a plastic bung cap. It sits flush to the spoppers body so shouldn’t effect it aerodynamically. At least this way I can top it right up before firing it out. Not too tight mind as that pin still needs to push through the bait.

The Fox Impact spod has a better capacity as standard, but is considerably more expensive than the ones purchased from Wish/Geek in China.

I like your idea of the topping up, as I will usually be using mine for hemp so would like it more full than would currently be the case.

The Fox Impact spod has a better capacity as standard, but is considerably more expensive than the ones purchased from Wish/Geek in China.

I like your idea of the topping up, as I will usually be using mine for hemp so would like it more full than would currently be the case.
Let me try it out properly on my experimental one first before you go drilling yours out.

Lashed a very rough 12mm hole in the back
Don’t worry more care will be taken on other peoples to ensure the hole is round and in the centre.
Be very careful the spring is on the other side of that hole 😜

At least another 30% of loose bait can be dropped in there now up to 12mm round.
It operates just fine, give it a little shake and leave a small amount of space
1956A916-DCB6-4D50-8154-38843C9AB57B.jpeg
EBD40931-5BE8-4951-80E2-81F78F447323.jpeg
DA749A93-BD6C-4DBA-A058-479CD6F37692.jpeg

Another thing I’ve noticed about this one I’ve bought is it has a number of 4mm holes drilled into the body.
Granted it needs the holes to let water in but not much good with a hand full of lively maggots or hemp/particle baits that can fit through them. Surely twice as many 2mm holes would allow the water in and make it more useful for smaller baits to be used. You can then take your time with the cast and not worry about your maggots climbing back out as it’s held hanging behind you.
Love the way this is going ...the planning towards 'perfection'. :D But just a note ... if you're replacing 4mm with 2mm holes then you need 4 times as many, not twice as many (3.14 x RxR)

Back