• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Golf and fishing to get the greenlight?

The trouble is, if fishing gets the green light then many other sports and recreations will expect the same. Also, you can just imagine towpaths etc. crammed with "new" angling families fishing with a hazel stick and a bent pin just so they can get out and have a picnic! But in time some restrictions will have to be eased. The statistics don't improve much but with such overcrowding in the main cities that is hardly surprising, as in many urban areas social distancing is impossible.

I certainly have been praying , that June 16th is like no other , and Anglers up and down the country rejoice that fishing is allowed.
My opinion based on facts however , would suggest June 16th will be too soon.
At best I think fishing could start in september , as I believe that's when the kids will go back to school. Cant see the kids going back to school before the next school summer holidays .
Schools are having to prepare classes to adhere to social distancing laws , complete logistical nightmare.
I believe the lifting of lockdown measures will be based on industries rather than social activities.
The tourism industry is completely on its arse with no signs that's going to change anytime soon.
The point I am trying to make is that there are many industries that need to get started before recreational activities and I would imagine that will be the Government's main focus.
However I will still pray for the 16th June.

I'm afraid that I have pretty much stopped watching the MSM update on the pandemic.However I do grab snippets here & there. So I am making some assumptions here.
Wasn't the idea of the lockdown to stop the NHS become overwhelmed? And of course slowdown the spread of the virus.
Notwithstanding the Covid wards, hasn't this been broadly achieved e.g. A&E significantly less busy than normal?
So a gradual relaxation on the movement of people could now be manageable on the basis that more cars on the road = more accidents = more admissions but the NHS can cope? I use cars as an example accepting there are many ways of ending up in hospital
The point is if we wake up on a morning and live a 'normal' life we are exposed to all manner of risks. And this isn't ever going to change.
So by driving from my house or work to the fishery increases my potential for an accident , as does being on the bank. But I think this now under control from an NHS perspective?
But from a virus spreading perspective I would argue it's one of the safest places to be.

If angling gets the green light, I would imagine individual clubs & syndicates would still implement their own rules based on risk assessments & common sense?
In my own syndicate we could easily fish safely, quite honestly nothing would change as common courtesy and peg design dictates we are > 20m apart, normally 50-60 so we're not fishing for the same fish.
Push comes to shove we could limit anglers through a booking system on the forum or first come first served to ensure plenty of space.
Even on the bank , we tend to communicate by text or phone( getting a photo taken etc). Perhaps an odd catch up for 5 minutes but again easily achievable without getting too close. But on the whole, we go to relax and catch fish, so by definition we isolate.
The only places we need to be careful are gates and locks, and I think even now we're conditioned to sanitize. And how ironic will that be, scrubbing your hands after touching a gate, but eat a butty after handling slimy fish , maggots and worms. As an aside I will probably have to be careful here as I have never bothered being too sanitized when fishing on the basis that I must have a robust immune system after 40odd years of ingesting dirt and germs and not getting ill from it. All this hand sanitizing and no fishing( germs) could catch me out.

Commercial fisheries might be a bit more of a challenge with clubhouses/ cafes, but simply keep them closed until a later date.Or takeaways only?
Hands could be cleaned where nets are dipped?
Match fishing is another one that might need to be phased in due to drawing pegs etc.
I've never played Golf, but surely angling is considerably more isolated than Golf so I'm not even sure how they're being compared other than they are outside activities. We are much more akin to shooting in this context.
Personally I think we( river anglers) will be good-to-go by June. I think the Government will be looking for quick wins as they start to fathom a way out of the chaos, and angling is a pretty safe bet and they can make a lot of noise about it.
Who knows might be a good thing for the sport - we're always thinking of ways to attract new people?

Back