• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

If these restrictions are continued I'm going to be skint. What have you bought lately?

Eddie Bray

Senior Member & Supporter
Bored today, so I ended up searching the internet for Barbel Rods, I ended up buying both a Fox 4x Twin top 1.75/2.25 TC Rod and a Fox 4x 2.75 TC Rod. On the upside I bought a pair of reels on here for little money and I won a New 4000 sized reel last night for £0.99 plus £2.90 shipping (unreal).

What have you bought you wouldn't have if you weren't captive at home?

All my bait for sometime this year.

Lots of other bits and some lovely tench floats.

Plus a pressure washer...the other one died half way through.!!

Lots of bits and pieces. I blame it on YouTube, you watch a fishing programme about something you haven't tried, like finesse perch fishing, then look for the bits on eBay.
It will have to stop, my better half will start asking questions. (Haven't told her about the rod yet Terry, shhh)

Nothing fishing related as I keep finding gear I never knew I had including rods, reels, and far too many landing net handles. May have to splash out on some link swivels though.

I'm the other way around, I cannot find some of my stuff, for example my Net Bag with nets and my Carp pod front end with its Optonics on it (haven't used them for ages).
I’ve bought a mini lathe and all necessary supplies to start trying float making. Now seems a good as time as any.
Cool, can't wait to see what you make.

I have enough reels , rods, line, nets ( loads of nets as I make them , traditional cane , I rebuild all my own rods, make my own floats , sinkers, feeders, bank sticks, etc etc ) bags, waders,clothes, brollies, etc.... I dont ever bother with Carp or Matches or Commercials , so dont need a keepnet, and am not a tackle tart, I have almost given up "updating " my gear. entireley .. I dont care what people think about it, I dont crave the latest gadgets, rods, reels etc. My gear, although dated compared to most other anglers on the bank catches me fish as well or better than anything else I could buy. Thinking about it, about a third of my gear must be second hand anyway, or if you prefer "preloved"

A bit boring really as I do like browsing around tackle shops, but really dont ever buy anything except a bit of bait now and then, all I use are Hali Pellets, everything else comes from the supermarket, the animal feed suppliers or the lawn.

So although in my case cash is not an issue, I dont really spend much at all on gear , nor have done for a few years now. It doesnt generally seem to stop me catching as many fish as the next angler, so basically I have proved to myself that a lot of gear these days is designed to catch the angler first and foremost .

Also , I am a Yorkshireman, I have been described in the past as being similar to a Scotsman with his streak of generosity removed . :)

David.

Jon, Stephen, i really feel for you guys. Stay safe guys.

I too feel for you, and hope you all end up okay.

Being retired and finally having a new hip (after 3 knee replacements which might not have been required if they had done the hip first) and being relatively pain free now, I am trying to get back to the hobbies I used to do before. This quarantine is affecting me in a different way, for the first time for probably 8 years I am able to do things I couldn't do due to the pain, and then this happens. But this is nothing compared to those who are in a much more serious condition whether through sickness or the loss or possible loss of their income.

Stay safe one and all, and lets hope that things will improve on the other side of this pandemic.

3 x Daiwa ss2600, new Delkim slimlite and lots of bits.... need to have a word with myself... again

Guys, there are people really struggling to make ends meet, esp the self employed, small business owners, shop keepers etc etc, stating your recent extravagant purchases is not helping your fellow anglers in these extreme times, please can you be a bit more sensitive, thank you.

P.S. I don't have 400 loo rolls.

Last edited:
A bit boring really as I do like browsing around tackle shops, but really dont ever buy anything except a bit of bait now and then...
Each year I spend a lot more on memberships than I do on tackle but I have NEVER left a tackle shop empty handed. I tried once but it felt as if I was walking out with something I hadn't paid for. As usual I purchased the obligatory couple of floats. Hence, I have more than enough to last a 100 lifetimes.

The opposite for me.
this extra time on my hands has given me time to have a good sort out in the workshop and sell some stuff I never use any more.
I’m £560 up so far........ now what can I spend it on 😜

Me too, I have 2 x 8000ocs, 1 x 4000d, a abu 507 2017 and another shimano 5000 to put up for sale.

£8.00 Paid for a large seymo bait dropper , still in packaging under quarantine , as a spopper back up , packed in selling reels online for a while .

Back