• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Close season plans

Why do people not understand "stay at home"?

Anglers should only drive to work if needed or to buy food items,. I'm disgusted at the approach of the Wye and Usk , remember if you have an accident on your way to fishing you might well need the NHS, do as we are told stay at home fishing at these times isn't important, my fishery is locked and closed to everyone. Think of others and stay safe.

Agree Martin.

Anyone considering going fishing during the next three weeks (or longer) PLEASE DON'T. In this case it's not about whether or not you're spreading the virus, it's about you being a potential risk for the emergency services if something happened because you couldn't heed some very simple advice to just sit at home for a few weeks.

A mate's wife works at the RUH in Bath and already today - only day 2 of the part lockdown - they've had to deal with a bunch of pricks who thought it was a good idea to go on a group cycle ride and most of them ended up coming a cropper on a sharp bend at the bottom of a hill. No fatalities or life threatening injuries fortunately, but significant enough to require beds and treatment in an already bursting at the seams and struggling hospital.

Basically don't be a selfish c**t.

So does that mean anyone else who is exerciseing, for example ,running cycling etc etc, are exempt from having an accident???

Jim - with all due respect, I don't think now is the right time for sarcasm or smarts. One daily exercise on your own is a "safer" risk and more to do with maintaining health. Going fishing and taking part in a group cycle aren't really the same thing.

Anyone considering going fishing during the next three weeks (or longer) PLEASE DON'T. In this case it's not about whether or not you're spreading the virus, it's about you being a potential risk for the emergency services if something happened because you couldn't heed some very simple advice to just sit at home for a few weeks.

A mate's wife works at the RUH in Bath and already today - only day 2 of the part lockdown - they've had to deal with a bunch of pricks who thought it was a good idea to go on a group cycle ride and most of them ended up coming a cropper on a sharp bend at the bottom of a hill. No fatalities or life threatening injuries fortunately, but significant enough to require beds and treatment in an already bursting at the seams and struggling hospital.

Basically don't be a selfish c**t.

Hi Steve,
I get your sentiments entirely ( but not your language ). I have been going fishing for over 60 years and have not required the emergency services yet. It's all about common sense isn't it. Frankly driving to a quiet spot for a few hours fishing is not a threat to anybody in my opinion.
Stay healthy,
Regards,
G.T.

The Government are content for joggers, cyclists and walkers to leave the house and get some exercise, the majority of which are on public roads or parks, not on remote river banks.

As and when work allows, I'll be visiting my local river for some fluff chucking. I live in a rural area and can walk to my local river without risking coming into contact with anyone.

We are all suffering with this together but it does not have to be made worse because of lack of understanding by the general public or the Government. I won’t get this virus from fishing or give it anyone else, and I'm no more likely to come a cropper from chucking some fluff at some brownies as I am from going for a jog.

I think this is one of those agree to disagree situations. I personally don't believe that fishing falls into the same exercise category, and I say that as a rover, but others obviously do.

For what it's worth the "selfish" comment wasn't aimed at anyone on here, it was more a general swipe at the huge number of people who are acting without much consideration for others.

The Government are content for joggers, cyclists and walkers to leave the house and get some exercise, the majority of which are on public roads or parks, not on remote river banks.

As and when work allows, I'll be visiting my local river for some fluff chucking. I live in a rural area and can walk to my local river without risking coming into contact with anyone.

We are all suffering with this together but it does not have to be made worse because of lack of understanding by the general public or the Government. I won’t get this virus from fishing or give it anyone else, and I'm no more likely to come a cropper from chucking some fluff at some brownies as I am from going for a jog.
Yes agreed, although I think that the government advice is directed (as usual to effect even those with common sense) at the lowest common denominator ie. those numpties that were exercising in that park in London, in very close proximity to each other, without PPE, and sharing exercise equipment bars.

I still cant believe that people still intend to fish. It's so wrong on many levels. The PM told people what is expected from them. Fishing doesn't come into it imo. In 99% of fishing you have to travel in a car, this is deemed non essential travel. In my area 2 persons have been stopped and fined already for non essential travel. If the public see us fishing, they may think flying a kite, bird watching, golfing etc is acceptable. Just get this in your head, it's wrong.

Just my opinion

I still cant believe that people still intend to fish. It's so wrong on many levels. The PM told people what is expected from them. Fishing doesn't come into it imo. In 99% of fishing you have to travel in a car, this is deemed non essential travel. In my area 2 persons have been stopped and fined already for non essential travel. If the public see us fishing, they may think flying a kite, bird watching, golfing etc is acceptable. Just get this in your head, it's wrong.

Just my opinion

Completely agree with you (and others) Jon. Thing is, (and trying to draw on some of my long forgotten Biology degree here!) it isnt about the individual, its about dealing with this on mass.

If one person in the country goes fishing then yes, the risk of transferring the virus/needing emergency help is small.
If 500 think its fine the risk of both goes up hugely. Increase that to 1000, 5000 etc.

With a virus the main way to minimise (before vaccination/exposure resistance is viable) an outbreak is to reduce exposure to the minimum.

Imagine someone who is infected has brushed your car, you touch that, load your kit, then clean your hands thinking you are 'clean', when in fact your kit has it on. then go to your nice quiet pond (given the close season ;)), touch a fence post.
Now imagine the nice older couple that live up the lane have been successfully self isolating for 2 weeks and have their daily walk, lean on that post then they are exposed and at a very real risk of contracting Cov19.

Fairly long winded example but anyone who thinks them going fishing (or any other activities) wont cause any harm, the risk is there that they will.

I have a number of friends who work as paramedics, nurses and doctors and any 'unessential' trips/activities put these people who are working day in, day out to help save peoples lives, at increased risk, and personally i think that is unacceptable.

Not that i dont understand it - both me and my girlfriend are working remotely from a 1 bed flat in Clapham - we will see how the relationship goes over the next 3 weeks! 😆

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy, and the only fever any of us have to deal with is of the 'cabin' variety!

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago that fishing work parties seemingly present no danger, and individuals that fish too, but we all have a different mindset now, and the incremental banning orders have and will help to save lives.
Personally I haven't fished since October, and come this time of year my thoughts turn to early season Tench, but given the problems I don't think the new river season start will be viable.
The show of appreciation the other evening in clapping was for me really touching, I was quite cynical about what the response was going to be, but was touched by the turnout.
This virus is not selective, Charles Boris and Matt Hancock are all victims, their recovery will hopefully give hope to those that worry about the severity of the illness.
The positive is that air pollution is at a record low, due to lower fossil fuel emissions, and we are now into BST although typically revert to Winter temperatures, but through all this we will come out of this stronger and wiser I hope, and perhaps value the NHS more than ever.
Stay strong all of you it will get better.

Please fellow Anglers , Stay at home.
Until everyone grasps the seriousness of this Epidemic , we face months of isolation.
This is not a Holiday.
I , like many , have lost my income. There will be some Tackle shops that never open their doors again after this.
The World will be a different place after this but i guarentee the Rivers , Lakes and canals , will all still be there.
Stay safe to everyone.

When all this started I could not see a problem with simply fishing an isolated spot on my own. But I was wrong, simply touching a gate can apparently leave the virus for others and I would not be aware that my undetected contamination could kill someone else.
Some good posts on here by some sensible well adjusted anglers without a political angle needed. Thanks.
Keep safe,
G.T.

Back