• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

So what has changed?

It's true there are still Barbel to be caught in all of the Yorkshire rivers,but they are not a patch on what they were,certainly to the amount of fish.The Ouse for example, back in the early 70's double figure catches were not unusual and I have had as many as 24 in a session, but none were over 5lb. My last 10 Ouse trips have resulted in three Barbel,8-12, 10-3 and 12-3.The Swale,10 years ago 6 to 8 in a session was not unusual, now if your lucky single catches are the norm, but that could be just me, I don't know what others are doing on facebook etc.
The Derwent, same few fish turning up in same areas,as to the rest of the river,good luck. The Wharfe, always had a huge amount of small fish, then came the explosion of doubles,where have they gone ?
Match weights were made up of Barbel and Chub, how many of the York or Leeds matches do you now see being fished on rivers??.
Could go on but no point. Reasons for decline - predation definitely, but not just Otters and Crayfish, I counted 16 Cormorants in one tree last season, river management is woeful, but I could write a whole post one that one.

I am lucky because I live near the Trent. Only been serious barbel fishing for just over 2 years but I have fished the Trent for nearly 50 years. It seems that there is a common misconception that the Trent is full of barbel everywhere however long stretches contain very few fish. Some of this is due to poor habitat, some I am sure is down to over fishing and on the upper river otters may have a part to play.
I first encountered barbel in numbers in about 1984. They were being caught everywhere and yet in the years before hardly any were seen. These ranged from 4oz to about 4lb in weight so where were they hiding before?
My fishing is split between a prolific stretch where I nearly always catch barbel and a quiet stretch where I hope to catch a monster (not happened yet). I only fish in short sessions of 3-5 hours when I feel I have the best chance of fish. My pb of 13lb exactly was caught in September last year. Increasingly I am seeing barbel anglers that are travelling a long way to fish the Trent but some of them struggle to catch even on the prolific stretch because they are in the wrong spot or casting the wrong distance or using the wrong bait.
I fully intend to take advantage of the great fishing on my doorstep as I don't know how long it will last. In fact I think I'll go this evening in this lovely mild weather!
All the best to everyone on this great forum.
Ian.

For me actually catching dozens of Barbel in a session doesn't really get to me in the way I thought it might, of course that is just as well at the moment. I have had a couple of sessions on the Wye where you can fill your boots, fish were hanging themselves before the feeder could touch bottom. Even one occasion on the WA when in a 3 hour session I managed 6 good Barbel and 6 Chub, only one on the stretch, don't know what happened that day, but never got close to repeating that.
My memories are filled with battles with big barbel that come after a series of blanks, the hoop round, the frantic pursuing scrap in the half light, coffee everywhere, and getting the anti reverse off before she snaps me. And then seeing her in the net and saying to yourself 'yep' that's why we do it.
For if it was so easy many of us wouldn't bother, and although stocks have thinned out there are still great opportunities out there, we after all are just a bunch of kids that have adventures.
We just need to accept our fate and adjust I guess.

Last edited:
A thoughtful post Paul.

The 2016/17 season I didn’t catch or have any indication that I would catch a Barbel on the section of Kennet I was fishing from October thru to the end of the season despite fishing in some conditions that I’d have banked on catching. Quite depressing as the start of the season had been encouraging with a big summer 14 caught.

During the close season I vowed then to keep my interest in Barbel fishing by trying other sections and rivers where I’d not caught before and test myself again elsewhere.

I took my first Loddon Barbel in the 2017/18 season up to 9lb and caught well throughout, and this season I caught my first Thames fish, a lovely 12lber but have irritatingly lost a couple of fish too.

Inbetween that I’ve had some very good fish from the Wey at the back end of last season and also this season from an area I’d not fished before, this has definitely helped to keep my interest at levels where I still have an expectancy to catch despite posting a lot of blanks.

I agree that if the current decline continues then in the long term Barbel fishing will likely all but finish with less or no anglers coming through except on the obvious rivers.

Let’s hope that nature with the help of man can rebalance the situation.

Happy new year all.

The decline is staggering, but of course nothing will be done so we have accept our fate. I was watching
Mark Erdwin's latest video, on the Loddon, he had I believe 11 straight blanks, but did get one on this latest video. He is of the mindset , although depressed about the situation, inspires him, and prefers to leave the few Rivers left that hold a reasonable head of Barbel. I get that, but the Rivers that are dying give up solitary big females, that can't spawn because of no male suitors.
He says that stocking Barbel is not the answer, agreed, until the environment improves it would be futile. The lack of concern by the EA is borderline criminal, but of course do very well mugging us off.
I think you're correct regarding the EA. They are responsible for the decline of many rivers up and down the country, with respect to the quality or otherwise, of barbel and pike fishing.

Well it didn't get any better. Cancelled trip 'oop narf this week as the Trent is a tad high. Can't get near my fav river so I'm done for this season.

Never known a season like it. So overall I had 8 sessions and 2 sessions on "local" rivers, 2 sessions on the Trent. Not a lot of trips due to many reasons, but at least I call it a day and I'm safe and not flooded out (my sympathies to those who are not so lucky)

paul_self_take.jpg This was my best barbel of the season :(

My gear is cleaned up, tidied and put away already. I have sold six centrepins and several rods, but that's not a clue to my future, I'm looking forward to June/July, with renewed enthusiasm I hope.

its not looking good, I honestly do not think the EA have a grip of what's going on with rivers now. it looks like the new government once out of the EU will dilute regulations and standards, the EA cant even stick to the current ones and enforce them. so as I say little hope.

Never known a season like it. So overall I had 8 sessions and 2 sessions on "local" rivers, 2 sessions on the Trent.
I make that just 12 sessions
It’s disappointing that you have not caught this season Paul but I’d say a lot of anglers including myself have had significantly more blanks than 12.
I’d say A man of your talents would of easily put a few on the bank this season with a few more bank side hours. 👍🏻

Hi men ,

Obviously we have given up , Sue almost totally , but I'm still in a syndicate on the Ouse , but that's mainly to help to keep the friendly small syndicate going , as the 3 hour session in 2 seasons don't cut the mustard 🙄. Bit fed up with all the "Ouse is back" headlines , as although it's fishing slightly better , my bit has had thousands , and I mean that literally thousands put in our bit . Last year I could count on two hands the captures of barbel , the odd original slips up , but recovered it has not.

Iv put a lot of thought into it , and until things return to how me and Sue liked it then those glorious stretches all over the country will be left just a memory . If I had the money , and more time , I would get a boat on the Thames targeting the barbel & carp . There are more people looking to do it , but if you look at the sticky baits video of Nick Helleur it's inspiring . I have applied for a Savay ticket , the HS2 will ruin it so I'd best have a last crack 🙁 .

Saving my life is ...... France , with lakes I love and thousands of miles of river filled with barbel , could be the future .

Hatter

my season this year was just June to October 5 blooming months !! when Banks and River became a no no

And now the silly close to look forward too Ggrrr

Genuinely not being flippant, but in response to the original question - ‘so what has changed?’ - nature (as always) and us in equal measure.

“It’s not what it used to be” - Yep, for most of us. But relative to the standards of the 70s, we’d still be very happy.

“I now have to travel further afield for the same experience” - Probably, depending on where you live. Wow, what an inconvenience this hobby is if you’re solely in pursuit of a personal best!

“I now get less enjoyment” - Depends on how you measure enjoyment.

In summary, perspective.

(Apologies for sounding grumpy, I’ve had a pint...)

Stuart

It appears that none of your "quotes" are actually quotes from this thread :), so not sure where you are coming from with those.

Regarding your first para, I think that 'we' and nature are not equal, 'we' have bu##ered so many things up, nature must be frustrated :(

Hi Paul,

You’re right, I was paraphrasing, so shouldn’t have used the quote marks.

My points still stand though. This thread and many others reflect the same themes around frustration with change. The trouble is, our hobby is inextricably linked to nature, which is constantly evolving and changing! If it’s absolute control and consistency that people want, then maybe mechanical engineering or something would be better suited as a pastime!

My first paragraph wasn’t intended to reference causality in any way, I was merely referring to the fact that, in my opinion, we as anglers have changed in terms of attitude and outlook just as much as nature has changed.

All of that said, I do completely agree that we’ve also bu##ered many things up! Think that’s another thread entirely though 😊

Good luck for the weekend chaps

A superb , heart felt epitaph for a barbel fishers life summarized in a few words, so what has changed Paul? Everything has changed that's what.
I see the same problems on midlands rivers, emphasized by the lack of or significantly reduced numbers of barbel, my rivers haven't got a signal Crayfish problem, the Teme, the Severn, the Lugg, the Wye, the Warwickshire Avon, the Mease, the Anchor, the Upper-Trent, the Tern, the Dove and the Derwent have however one significant burgeoning, unstainable common problem and that is the Otter. I think our stories of the numbers of barbel, the size of barbel, memories of tranquil settings of sitting behind a rod, a chunk of meat over a bed of hemp will be consigned to the history book at some time, like tales of yore, but still there are those that deny the problems that engulf and consume us. Everything has changed Paul.

Back