• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River trent barbel rods

Fishing the Trent.............is a bit of a broad statement. Have you narrowed down the area you intend to fish? I have a membership of a club on the Trent with a variety of waters and some can be fished close in swinging the bait out under overhanging willows using a centrepin reel. The tidal is a far different beast. I would suggest sort out where you will be fishing, club, day ticket etc., take a look at the water without taking your fishing rods, most anglers will give you a bit of local information if asked.

I’ve been gearing myself for such rivers as well Pete for next season.
I’m certainly not paying someone to tell me where or how to fish it mind. Working a new venue out for myself over time is half the fun. The Trent is full of barbel and unlike a lot of rivers in the country you’ll probably not have to work as hard before landing on a fish or two.
like anywhere it’s down to location at the end of the day but the good thing about the Trent is those locations are pretty prolific.
a good friend of mine fishes the tidal stretch on the Scunthorpe ticket and quite often does 8-20 on a session with 50% making double and so do a lot of the regular Trent goers as well.

I haven’t made 20 fish this whole season on the nene yet so it gives a good idea of the rivers potential in comparison.

totally different style of fishing though mind cos im flicking a 1.5oz bomb under a tree with a few broken boilies hunting down a single big fish and my mate is launching 6oz feeders and brimmed spoppers 60 yards across the Trent to entice a handful of hungry barbel. He’s had some real belters out this year to 17lb.
Richard I don't know how much you have fished the Trent, but I get the impression from your posts, that you're referring to the infamous Collingham weir
stretch. I haven't fished (and avoid) the Collingham weir stretch. However, the 20 fish catch your friend has experienced, with half being doubles is not something myself or friends have experienced elsewhere on the Trent. Getting well away from the Collingham weir the Trent can be very productive during the right conditions. But judging from articles in the angling media in recent months, the Nene, Severn and a number of others rivers seem as equally as productive at times.

Richard I don't know how much you have fished the Trent, but I get the impression from your posts, that you're referring to the infamous Collingham weir
stretch. I haven't fished (and avoid) the Collingham weir stretch. However, the 20 fish catch your friend has experienced, with half being doubles is not something myself or friends have experienced elsewhere on the Trent. Getting well away from the Collingham weir the Trent can be very productive during the right conditions. But judging from articles in the angling media in recent months, the Nene, Severn and a number of others rivers seem as equally as productive at times.
I’ve never fished it.
next year that will change.
He’s a fair way further down on the tidal stretch I believe From Collingham. Scunthorpe club water.
im Not gonna call him a liar as he regularly sends me the pics of the real nice ones.
My experience of the nene(1st season mind) is more along the lines of single fish maybe a couple on a good session but 75% well into double.

Last edited:
The river Trent Just out of interest
I have a Mate that lives very close to the mighty Trent he is a long time carp angler but now in his Twilight years no longer fishes instead his passion is cruising up and down the river in his boat its fitted with a top of the range sonar and he was telling me when I`m cruising along I like watching the screen and hearing the bleeps the fish give and its just amazing how all of a sudden it goes quiet with no fish ?

Always you look up and you will see brollys and bivvies dotted along then 5 mins later its going crazy with fish everywhere you look up and there are no brollys no anglers
you can absolutely guarantee the very next time it falls silent there will be brollys

The trick is... take a couple of brollys with you, set them up, throw a few stones in to imitate the sound of cast feeders .... then, keeping low to the bank, take the rest of your gear 50m downstream and fish there. :D
You’ve done it now Terry. 16th June there’s gonna be 100 pegs taken up by 50 anglers. 😂

I’ve never fished it.
next year that will change.
He’s a fair way further down on the tidal stretch I believe From Collingham. Scunthorpe club water.
im Not gonna call him a liar as he regularly sends me the pics of the real nice ones.
My experience of the nene(1st season mind) is more along the lines of single fish maybe a couple on a good session but 75% well into double.
From those stats you've quoted the Nene sounds more productive than the Trent. Certainly from what I've observed by fellow anglers fishing the tidal Trent. What perhaps skew many anglers expectations of the Trent is possibly due to the actual number of anglers fishing the Trent. The more anglers fishing the greater the numbers of fish caught. Certainly in magazines such as Catch Cult the Nene seems to be fairly prolific for the higher than average double figure fish.

The river Trent Just out of interest
I have a Mate that lives very close to the mighty Trent he is a long time carp angler but now in his Twilight years no longer fishes instead his passion is cruising up and down the river in his boat its fitted with a top of the range sonar and he was telling me when I`m cruising along I like watching the screen and hearing the bleeps the fish give and its just amazing how all of a sudden it goes quiet with no fish ?

Always you look up and you will see brollys and bivvies dotted along then 5 mins later its going crazy with fish everywhere you look up and there are no brollys no anglers
you can absolutely guarantee the very next time it falls silent there will be brollys
Interesting observation.

From those stats you've quoted the Nene sounds more productive than the Trent. Certainly from what I've observed by fellow anglers fishing the tidal Trent. What perhaps skew many anglers expectations of the Trent is possibly due to the actual number of anglers fishing the Trent. The more anglers fishing the greater the numbers of fish caught. Certainly in magazines such as Catch Cult the Nene seems to be fairly prolific for the higher than average double figure fish.
I’m no where near as productive on the nene as my friend is up north on the Tidal Trent.
Granted he’s doing much longer sessions mind, he doesn’t do just a day or an evening, he does 2 nights every time and gets a good few most of the time. Can’t say I’ve known him to blank much but perhaps he keeps that quiet so I don’t give him stick like he does to me 😂
He’s had a lot more and a lot bigger this season than I have mind. He’s asked me to join on his club but it’s too far to travel regularly so I’ll probably join one of the clubs on the non tidal and give that a go.
I certainly have a greater ratio of doubles from fish caught than him but over all no where near the amount of fish or the size.

Not sure what else to say really Ady.... I know a very good angler that fishes the Tidal Trent and regularly does very well. Good on him I say. you either believe me or you don’t either way............tight lines mate 🎣🎣
Rich.

Back