• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Travel rod advice

Wayne Williams

Hello,
Has anybody any experience / opinions on the John Wilson Rovex travel rod please, seems to be one of the only travel rods about now with any kind name.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Wayne.
I have a JW barbel travel rod.

Suitable for most applications from roach, barbel, to sea fishing from shore.

I used it for long distance roach fishing in Spain.

Also used a previous one for shore fishing in the Carib.

Codura tube. As new. £50

Nice, very nice, I just might wait and get one of these seeing as my 2 sets of carp rods are Harrison’s.
The info on centre pins i found really good and helpful, is that what you use on your Peregrin’s ?

I actually modified my 4-piece. I added another ring and shaped the cork above the reel fitting, so it's like all of my self-built GTI barbel rods. And yes, I only use centrepins for all of my fishing.

It kinda raises the age old question though, would you catch any more on a £280 rod than a (Graham's) £50 used rod?

I actually modified my 4-piece - added another ring and shaped the cork above the reel fitting, so it's like all of my self-built GTI barbel rods. Yes, I only use centrepins for all of my fishing.

It kinda raises the age old question though, would you catch any more on a £280 rod than a (Graham's) £50 used rod?
The price of a rod means nothing in terms of catching fish in my opinion so long as the rod is up for the job and doesn’t fall apart. The line and hook is a lot more important along with having your bait in the right place at the right time

The price of a rod means nothing in terms of catching fish in my opinion so long as the rod is up for the job and doesn’t fall apart. The line and hook is a lot more important along with having your bait in the right place at the right time
I know what your saying and in regards to finding/hooking a fish the rod quality is irrelevant I agree.

once hooked it becomes very relevant imo, just as important as the hook and line. there is something quite awesome about a rod that can stop fish hitting the snags yet absorb those heavy thumps right under the tip. I definitely believe that Harrison rods, no matter who builds them are definitely tools that put more fish on the banks (after the finding and hooking part is sorted out of course)

I second the comments about the Harrison 4 piece Avon. I’ve had one for a few years now, it’s an absolute joy to use and has great stopping power when needed...it is a worthy investment. I think I bought mine after reading a review placed on this site.

I second the comments about the Harrison 4 piece Avon. I’ve had one for a few years now, it’s an absolute joy to use and has great stopping power when needed...it is a worthy investment. I think I bought mine after reading a review placed on this site.

Ditto your and Paul's remarks. Mine was built by Dave Lumb. Lovely (the rod, that is)!

Nice rods built quite a 'few' and had one in chestnut and another in green. Sold them both and built a Triptych (one less section at 3 x 4 feet).

The 4 piece Harrison’s are lovely rods. Brought an unused one off here a few years ago and as it fits perfectly on the top shelf in my van it’s my go to rod as it lives in there. Lovely through action on it.

Back