• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River trent barbel rods

Peter T Thomas

Thinking of fishing river next season just wondering what you guys are using can any one help I'm looking to buy a pair of rods never fished up there before Also does any one reccomend a good guide to help me is using his gear provided. also what cost involved . thanks peter

Only person I have seen coaching is on facebook its a bloke called Ian Potts

people he takes all seem to catch fish he goes of a facebook group called...... just barbel

Peter - also try the River Report forum on this site. There's a forum for each of the Tidal, Middle and Upper sections of the Trent. There are plenty of helpful chaps who might advise. :)

Thinking of fishing river next season just wondering what you guys are using can any one help I'm looking to buy a pair of rods never fished up there before Also does any one reccomend a good guide to help me is using his gear provided. also what cost involved . thanks peter
I'd also recommend Ian Potts, especially if you're thinking about fishing the Tidal river, he's a very good angler and has had loads of big fish, and his customers have too. He charges £100 for 24 hours.
Another guide is Richard Easom, Owner of 3ft Twitch Baits, don't know anything about what he charges though.

I’ve been gearing myself for such rivers as well Pete for next season.
I’m certainly not paying someone to tell me where or how to fish it mind. Working a new venue out for myself over time is half the fun. The Trent is full of barbel and unlike a lot of rivers in the country you’ll probably not have to work as hard before landing on a fish or two.
like anywhere it’s down to location at the end of the day but the good thing about the Trent is those locations are pretty prolific.
a good friend of mine fishes the tidal stretch on the Scunthorpe ticket and quite often does 8-20 on a session with 50% making double and so do a lot of the regular Trent goers as well.

I haven’t made 20 fish this whole season on the nene yet so it gives a good idea of the rivers potential in comparison.

totally different style of fishing though mind cos im flicking a 1.5oz bomb under a tree with a few broken boilies hunting down a single big fish and my mate is launching 6oz feeders and brimmed spoppers 60 yards across the Trent to entice a handful of hungry barbel. He’s had some real belters out this year to 17lb.

£100 is cheap. Used to charge that 20 years ago😅

A good guide won't just put you on fish. He will explain what to look for on the river in terms of flows and holding spots according to levels.

Effective bait presentation and tackle use/type.

Fish handling and local fauna to see. etc.

And be available for advice on countless other queries over time.

The benefits work both ways.
Many of my old customers
( probably 30 or so that use BFW) have become good pals.

And the shared joy of someones
First barbel or first double lives a long time.

However, as JC says. A fairly competent angler should be able to work most needs on a new water themselves.

£100 is cheap. Used to charge that 20 years ago😅
A good guide won't just put you on fish.

Rumour had it that it was just a fee to show you how to fill a feeder :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry Graham, just remembered a tosser from years ago 😅😅 See you next week if Dennis allows it ;)

Rumour had it that it was just a fee to show you how to fill a feeder :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry Graham, just remembered a tosser from years ago 😅😅 See you next week if Dennis allows it ;)
Yes the fat bearded tosser caught his first ever double off the challenging Loddon with me. Wrote a glowing article on FM. Then when I asked a delving question about lost advertising revenue income regards the BS magazine Barbel Fisher a year later, changed the whole article to a negative one!
It was a free from me BS Charity offering too .

Yes Paul. Hoping the river is within its banks. Looking forward to it.

Heard a nasty rumour that Ol' snaggle tooth Hayes used to charge £500 a day for guiding. Now that would be a bit steep if accurate, I would expect a Goblin teasmaid, family pack of gummy bears , a full back massage and happy ending for that sort of layout !!!

Just read the above conversations. As a self employed person is say £100 for 24 hours is very reasonable! Some of the others stated seem a bit steep! I remember looking up a fly tuition day with an ex world champ and all things considering that was very reasonable somewhere between £200-250 a day if I remember. Considering your running shoulders with a world champ that's not a lot. (It is to me :D but you know what im saying). Peter I'd personally try to hook up with some of the guys off here. It's about establishing those relationships to.

£100 for 24hrs, so £4.17 per hour? That's half the minimum wage, on a zero hours contract! Live on that :eek:
Behave Terry ?
the geezer is not doing it as a living FFS ??? he is going fishing taking someone with him and showing them what he does WHILE he is fishing ??

EDIT
dont get me wrong if the folk he is taking are happy to pay that and come away happy thats great
its simply I was just not expecting that kinda figure

Last edited:
~The only time I have ever had a Guide was in Thailand where one came with the tackle as part of the package

and of course PAID guides DONT FISH !
they just jump in the lake to net your fish that are obviously far too big to be lifted out

Back