• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Maggot clip confusion

Ste Whybrow

Hi which is the easiest way to use these,been on YouTube but to be honest not a lot on there,packet says tie to hair but that’s were I’m confused any help appreciated,it’s probably simple but just not getting it cheers ste

Steve used them a few years now, pm me your number and I will help.

Hi men

Basic setup , but I also use something on the hair to keep separation , like a plastic pellet , or boilie barrel , then pull the knot in .

Screenshot_20200209-101106.png

Hatter

Quick question this gents. Do you think these are more effective over a standard bunch of maggots on a hook either just size 12 say or a size 16? Thanks Jon

I approach this differently and believe I get a much better more natural and effective presentation.

A fine wire barbed hook size of choice is straightened with pliers. Use one with largish eye.

Hooklink through eye and small loop tied.

Main Hook is then tied as normal hair rig.

Maggots/ caster / few plastics or change bait corn is then pushed onto small hook in numbers as required.
A few hooklinks can be pre tied for use on the bank

Hi Graham, what advantage do you get straightening the hook rather than leaving it bent and threading on the bait.
Thanks
Mike

Personally I think Maggot clips are outdated and have never liked them from the outset (too clunky).
I mostly hook them direct on Guru MWGB hooks in size 16 on which I have landed several doubles to 14-9 or if I want to fish a larger bunch I do a similar thing to the Carp fraternity by mounting either a piece of foam, fake maggot or similar on the hair followed by a small barbless hook which once full of maggots is pulled into the foam etc. Far better presentation ;)

Dont think I’m in with the ‘in kids’ my preference is to cram a size 12 Korda Choddy hook with maggots and fish it on a long flurocarbon hooklength. I did try the maggot clips, but just didn’t get on with them, plus felt that they over complicated matters.

I tried maggot clips, constantly murdered half the maggots closing the clip. Then lost the pack of them to never bother again. I quite like the idea though that it gives you that bit of extra nuisance fish proofing.

Hi men,

I had quite a few on this one winter , and fish over 50lb in France 😉

Screenshot_20200210-212420.png

Bit crude compared to my refined version but it was a deep pit , and I was spombing, so wanted a decent mouthful sitting there . This was after a capture , so once I had pulled the clip into the plastic corn it allowed me to pull the silicon on the hook around more , which suits the bottom bait arrangement.

Hatter

Back