• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

D handle or other options.

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
So I’ve been secretly gearing myself up for bigger rivers next season. Possibly joining one of the various Trent clubs along side the nene as well. Rods are sorted now but a pair of winders now needed to suit them.
my initial thinking is around the 6000D.
I have the 4000d on my torrixs which are beautifully balanced on those rods and I’m convinced that the 6000d will compliment the bigger rods in the same way.
my concern is that big egg shaped handle. I’m not sure if I will or won’t get on with it.
What do you guys think truthfully is it alright? I am not interested in opinions based on its looks, I Would like real egg handled warriors to give me the facts and even better if anyone local to me has one it would be great to come try it out.
now as always I need a plan B and if I don’t like the 6000’s egg handle then fire some good Trent reel suggestions at me.
Cheers

Nah...egg shaped handles are terrible.shimano 5500xtd's are more suited to the Trent....and has it happens I have some for sale😀👍
have you actually used the egg handle Jason or is that a little sales technique 😂

I don’t want the ultegras tbh or any pit reel for that matter.
they just a bit big for my liking. a nice shimmy 6000 baitrunner size is what I’m looking for.

I use the trusty old warhorses 3500B,s on the Trent... I fish the middle and the tidal .. if you wasn’t some peaceful fishing I can suggest the NPS stretch at east stoke you can join it on a NPS guest ticket £50 a year
It’s basically the opposite bank to fiskerton I’ve only ever seen one other member on there ... secure car park as well takes me 1 hour 40 mins from Stevenage

Quite like the 'small egg' handle on the Shimano Thunnus 4000 ci4 and actually found it an improvement over the 4000D handle.

Is that not just for the smaller ones though. I thought the bigger ones had to be egg shaped
No, I've got a pair of 6000Ds with the normal 'European' handles on them.
For the Trent, the Tidal in particular I've got a pair of Ultegra 5500xtds and I think they're great for the job!

I have the eggs on my Thunnus 4000s and 8000s, it's a country mile better than the standard T bar imo. I also have some 8000ocs with the T and would gladly swap for some eggs on these. The egg was ergonomically the best handle shape, it's just that people cant get used to the look imo

I have the eggs on my Thunnus 4000s and 8000s, it's a country mile better than the standard T bar imo. I also have some 8000ocs with the T and would gladly swap for some eggs on these. The egg was ergonomically the best handle shape, it's just that people cant get used to the look imo
I honestly don’t care about the look of it Jon.
I was just a bit sceptical as to weather it would feel right or feel odd. As yourself and Bob are regular users and actually prefer it to a conventional flat handle my general concerns about it are far more relaxed so cheers.
guess I need to now look at striking a deal on Steve’s 6000’s.
be interesting to know what handles he’s got on those when he comes back to me.

Back