• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Stradic ci4 4000

Alan Palmer

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, looking for any advice regarding this reel and if worth the additional cost above standard Stradic? I have always been a fan of these reels but looking to upgrade from the originals I have that are now past prime. Will mainly use on the Ouse but hoping they may be able to cope with chucking feeders on the Severn also
Any feedback welcome
Thanks

Alan, I have one but I use it for float fishing, its much lighter than the other models and a bit smaller too. Lovely clutch but no backwind. Personally for legering I wouldn't bother spending the extra money.

Just to clarify, are you talking about the Stradic Ci4+ 4000 RA or the Stradic Ci4+ 4000 FB?
If it's the latter, be wary of the lack of anti-reverse switch. I found it wasn't an insurmountable issue, but I'd prefer the switch to be there.
If, as I suspect, it's the former, then it's functionally way better than the original Japanese GTMs. It's far lighter and the spools are a much wider diameter. They are also supplied with line reducers. However, due to the relative lack of weight, they don't feel quite as solid as the old Japanese GTMs.
I still have my old, functional Japanese GTMs, but I much prefer the Ci4+ RA. The only real question I have is whether they end up being as durable as the originals. It could be another twenty five years until that's put to bed and they might outlast me anyway.

Hi Chris, Yes should have clarified it is the RA version with ‘fighting drag’. None of my local shops have these in stock to look at in the flesh, I have heard they feel a bit plasticy due to the lightweight materials used.

Hi Chris, Yes should have clarified it is the RA version with ‘fighting drag’. None of my local shops have these in stock to look at in the flesh, I have heard they feel a bit plasticy due to the lightweight materials used.

Ci4+ is just an evolution of the Ci4 polymer. The Ci4 itself supposedly being an evolution of the XT-7 used on the original Stradic GTMs and still being used on plenty of the cheaper current reels. I wouldn't say it feels more plastic, just that the lower weight makes it feels less robust. Given some of the blurb on Ci4+, with regards to strength and stiffness, it should be purely psychological. Heavy things feel as if they should be stronger. Whether they actually are is another matter.

Had one turn up the other day which I got unused off eBay for £95. Couldn’t justify full price. Feels nice and fairly solid. Wish it were slightly bigger in the body as seems smaller than my old fighting drag twin powers xtr’s, however haven’t held them side by side yet. Build quality feels good and I really like the computing of it. Now just need to find some time to use it.

If it’s going to be sat on a rod rest for most of its life, you’re effectively paying a premium for a characteristic you’re not utilising - the reels lightness. I have a ci4 2500 for lure fishing where it’s lightness is an asset when casting repeatedly all day. Have to say I wouldn’t buy one now as the Daiwa Legalis LT, which I also have, is just as smooth and almost as light at half the price. Daiwa’s LT series of reels are unbelievable value.

The stradic Ci4's are marketed as a spinning reel, I've 4 or 5 of them and they are excellent reels for lure fishing. To be honest I wouldn't use one as a feeder reel simply because they are too good and prefer my shimano 5000gte's for such use, even second hand they are still a good buy and a great workhorse of a reel.

Looks like we might be back to the Stradic confusion.

If it’s going to be sat on a rod rest for most of its life, you’re effectively paying a premium for a characteristic you’re not utilising - the reels lightness.

It's a fair point, but are you absolutely sure that you are talking about the correct reel? If the OP wanted many of the features of the Stradic Ci4+ RA in a cheaper package (XT-7 instead of Ci4+ for the body/rotor) then the Super GT RD might be worth considering.

The stradic Ci4's are marketed as a spinning reel, I've 4 or 5 of them and they are excellent reels for lure fishing. To be honest I wouldn't use one as a feeder reel simply because they are too good.

As above. Apart from the fact that pretty much all Shimano reels are repurposed for the British market, are you sure you're not thinking of the Stradic Ci4+ FB rather than the Stradic Ci4+ RA. The former is primarily pushed as a lure fishing reel, but they've had Nick Speed using them in UK promotional stuff. The latter has barely featured in any promo stuff. I suspect that is a product of rear drag reels being so far out of fashion. Shimano having four different Stradic reels (two rear drag, two front drag) in their current range only serves to confuse things.

Yes Chris I’m referring to the ci4 2500fd reel, but the fact still remains the key advantage of the ci4 range is the lightness to strength ratio. Tbh I don’t get what the difference is between a lure fishing reel and a float fishing reel - I use the fast retrieve Legalis LT version for my float fishing because it’s light and smooth.

Yes Chris I’m referring to the ci4 2500fd reel, but the fact still remains the key advantage of the ci4 range is the lightness to strength ratio.

As I said initially, you do have a point with regards to the weight. However, your point is diminished somewhat if you are talking about the front drag Stradic Ci4+ FB rather than the rear drag Stradic Ci4+ RA that the OP is asking about. They are vastly different reels. The weight differential between the respective 4000 models is 80g (nearly 3oz).

Tbh I don’t get what the difference is between a lure fishing reel and a float fishing reel - I use the fast retrieve Legalis LT version for my float fishing because it’s light and smooth.

Realistically, Shimano (and most other global manufacturers) make nothing but spinning reels. The closest we get to reels intended for coarse fishing is slight modifications in gear ratios and spool depths/spool reducers. The likes of Drennan have reels more specific to the UK market, but they Drennn specify certain things from the factory and don't really worry about a much wider market.

A similar thing exists with regards to most big pit carp reels. In most cases they have just repurposed sea fishing reels with the odd slight design tweak.

In the last year or two, Shimano have put another spanner in the works with the removal of the anti-reverse switch on some spinning reel models. The Stradic Ci4+ FB is one of the models that has no anti-reverse switch. Many coarse anglers won't touch them for this reason. The Stradic Ci4+ RA, and (as far as I'm aware) all other current rear drag Shimano reels, still have the anti-reverse switch.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all info everyone...it was indeed the ci4 ra I was after and primarily for feeder fishing. I have now managed to bag a great bargain of fleabay, even if sitting on rests most of the time I still prefer the lightness to balance my Acolyte feeder rod

I can't show you the differential between Stradic Ci4+ 4000 FB and Stradic Ci4+ 4000 RA. However, here's the 2500 models and then a 4000RA for comparison.

Back