• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Aldi Fishing Gear

My bib and brace arrived today in Large Size. The kids in my class at work assure me that it is a good fit and the quality of zips and Velcro seems good. The material is a bit shiny but no doubt some Bristol Avon mud will soon tone it down. For £25 I'm really impressed. It will be interesting to see how water resistant it is. Took me a while to find all the pockets, some of them a well hidden! Thanks again to all who recommended the gear.

My bib and brace arrived today in Large Size. The kids in my class at work assure me that it is a good fit and the quality of zips and Velcro seems good. The material is a bit shiny but no doubt some Bristol Avon mud will soon tone it down. For £25 I'm really impressed. It will be interesting to see how water resistant it is. Took me a while to find all the pockets, some of them a well hidden! Thanks again to all who recommended the gear.
To test its 'water proof-ness' I placed the hood from the corresponding jacket (same material as bib & brace) over an empty large jug, pushing the material down into the jug. I then added water and left it like that overnight,. On checking the next morning, the inner fleecy lining of the hood was still bone dry. So it's pretty waterproof. The only time I've found water ingress through the bib and brace is the time I sat in heavy rain with my small brolly up. At the time I didn't realise that the brolly wasn't covering the back of my chair, so I ended up sitting in a puddle for maybe 30-45mins. When I got home I found the seat of my under-trousers to be a bit damp, but by no means wet. But that's a pretty severe test IMO.

To test its 'water proof-ness' I placed the hood from the corresponding jacket (same material as bib & brace) over an empty large jug, pushing the material down into the jug. I then added water and left it like that overnight,. On checking the next morning, the inner fleecy lining of the hood was still bone dry. So it's pretty waterproof. The only time I've found water ingress through the bib and brace is the time I sat in heavy rain with my small brolly up. At the time I didn't realise that the brolly wasn't covering the back of my chair, so I ended up sitting in a puddle for maybe 30-45mins. When I got home I found the seat of my under-trousers to be a bit damp, but by no means wet. But that's a pretty severe test IMO.

I often seem to sit in a puddle with my under trousers a bit damp - I suppose its an age thing!

Tena for a tenner, worth a punt :D

In terms of the best foot wear. Ive had sundridge hot feet wellys now for 10 plus years easily. Linings need replacing badly but the warmest foot wear ive ever used hands down. Think they claim to be tested at -40!!

I have worn my new Aldi 'suit' a few times now and have to say for £50 for the top and bottoms I am mightily impressed. Yesterday was brill, I didn't even change out of my smart casual clothes before fishing for a couple of hours, straight from the swimming pool with my daughter, suit and boots on, then down to the river bank. I was warm, comfy and don't actually think I look bad in this gear 😄 If only they did it in kids sizes so I could move the little lady away from dayglo pink 😂 although that's not actually a bad thing to help me keep a close eye on her 👍

I have worn my new Aldi 'suit' a few times now and have to say for £50 for the top and bottoms I am mightily impressed. Yesterday was brill, I didn't even change out of my smart casual clothes before fishing for a couple of hours, straight from the swimming pool with my daughter, suit and boots on, then down to the river bank. I was warm, comfy and don't actually think I look bad in this gear 😄 If only they did it in kids sizes so I could move the little lady away from dayglo pink 😂 although that's not actually a bad thing to help me keep a close eye on her 👍

Hi Rob, just a quick heads up, this weeks special buys is skiing clothing, including girls sallopettes at £9.99, but i'm afraid there in " PINK "

My local Aldi are selling crane Aluminium thermal boot/shoe insoles in packs of 4 for £1.49. Felt on the top side and a thin aluminium on the bottom. They are supposed to reflect the heat back to the ground. I wore a pair of Aluminium thread woven socks last Winter with a second pair of socks and was surprised how good they were. The Insoles have got to be worth a punt and possibly with the socks might be even warmer. Just check they are in your store the Aldi code is 802447

Last edited:
Anyone know if Aldi are doing their fishing bits this year, can’t see anything on the website, after a pair of the neoprene wellies for the wife (not a valentines present !!) ?
Glad to hear it Cliff, you can’t go spoiling the good lady or the word will spread 🤣

Back